Why waste the money.

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Why waste the money.

Post by phathack »

Why would a designer waste money putting this stuff on the walkway?

http://newmalefashion.blogspot.com/2011 ... fashion%29
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Why waste the money.

Post by crfriend »

Fashion designers should not be allowed to drop acid for precisely the same reasons that engineers should not be allowed to drop acid, although in the latter case a uniquely capable vehicle was created.

What's with the pom-pom on legs look? How does one even see to navigate in such a rig?

I still cling to my notion that >90% of what shows up on catwalks and runways (Proteus notwithstanding) is done for "shock and awe" and to show how far out the designer is. That's why >95% of what goes down the catwalk never sees a peg in a retail establishment. And in this case, that's good.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

On the other hand,,, I find these quite appealing... well at least the first two.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mgh45lef ... ummer-2012
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

phathack wrote:Why would a designer waste money putting this stuff on the walkway?
And how can they expect anyone to take them seriously after that?

Is it simply that, since everyone knows that women adore wearing "men's clothes", they put these outlandish designs in the men's section so that women will take notice and perhaps even buy some articles.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:Is it simply that, since everyone knows that women adore wearing "men's clothes", they put these outlandish designs in the men's section so that women will take notice and perhaps even buy some articles.
If I ever saw a pom-pom walking down the street I suspect I would laugh so hard I'd lose my last meal. Whether it was a man wearing the thing or a woman would not matter: the result would be the same.

Clearly those bits were either put down the catwalk as a joke or that "designer" has signed his own "pink slip".

Note to designers: Make your looks believeable; make them look like they would work in the everyday world; make them attractive and classic. In short, don't make them look outlandish and, for want of a better word, stupid. Good design takes lessons from the past and present and melds them gracefully and artistically -- and most importantly with purpose. Random fantasy does nobody any favours.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Well maybe those were Halloween costumes.
Though I have never seen designer Halloween costumes.

Women's designs are often just as strange but much more often some of what you see on the catwalk makes it into the stores.
Goes to so how conservative men are compared to women when it comes to fashion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

phathack wrote:Goes to so how conservative men are compared to women when it comes to fashion.
I wouldn't put that down to "conservatism". Rather, I'd put it down to style sense.

There is a vast difference between "Fashion" and style. Fashion (capital "F") is driven by marketing, greed, and overt whimsy; style is timeless and defies what the Fashion "designers" send down the catwalks a few times per year.

Style is hard to master because it plays not only to the outside world but also to the inner individual -- and it blends those with effortless grace and tranquility. All too many guys never "get it" because of the limited palette we're "given" to work with. One can only do so much with jeans, khakis, and standard-issue shirts, and it's that pervasive blandness that stultifies many of us. I never bothered to really explore a personal style until I got into wearing skirts -- precisely because it let me out of the "box" (an incredible shrinking box, I might add) I'd been in since childhood. Once liberated from The Uniform -- and not being able to explore the higher expressions of male clothing due to cost and practicality constraints -- I became able to actively explore and make my own decisions on what I feel best in and what I think looks good on me.

So, I tend to utterly ignore the whimsical, impractical, and utterly ridiculous creations that "designers" send down the catwalk during all too many "Fashion Week" events. They are irrelevant. I need clothes that work and look good on; I need stuff I can wear every day; and I need clothes that do not make me look outlandish. Perhaps I'm boring, perhaps I'm conservative; however, I am not tied to a uniform -- and I suspect I look better than 95% of what comes down the catwalk either last week or next.

To the point of the thread title: "Why waste the money/"
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

That photo spread was like throwing some random foodstuffs against a wall just to see what sticks.

I also think that extremes in fashion need to be explored, if for no other reason than to keep perspective diversity where it needs to be.
DannyL

Post by DannyL »

All of the pants have horrid designs but I like the glove design in the second picture. I think it would complement a bold bottom (either pants or a skirt) well in a similar color.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hmm, male fashion eh? I am just laughing at the thought of a fluff ball being worn around a farm or on a building site (Picture a hard hat on a pink ball perched on one of those baby 4x4 dumpers).
I can see how it would work in the city, now imagining a London rush hour, tube station, thousands of puff balls all standing like brightly coloured sheep, waiting to squeeze onto a train!

Oh hell, I am sober, not doing illegal substances, and now my brain is going on it's own brightly coloured trip just to keep me awake tonight!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

wrote: I like the glove design in the second picture. I think it would complement a bold bottom.
Even funnier than the pompom pics !!!

Martin
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Oh those are fun! Sure it looks like the cast of some new television program for toddlers but why not show something like that? Thanks for posting that link, phathack.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Most of them look very hard to see out of! :D
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Article confirming shock and awe. Of course, this strategy, and in general skirts, violate the rule about blending in.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I've seen that article before, probably via a link from SC. A much more thoughtful article than most. The comparison with naturists is a good one, which hadn't really struck me before.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair