Kilt adjustment

For those do-it-yourselfers...
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt adjustment

Post by mugman »

Today I think I'll sort out the length of the plain black kilt that arrived during the week, which needs two or so inches taking off the drop. I consider kilts hanging well over the knees to look a sloppy fit, and always go for between 1/3rd coverage of the kneecap and the top of the knee.
The kilt is 8 yards of material so I can see a good hour or two ahead of tediously tacking up the hem and repressing all the pleats, but it has to be done :?
bear@bearkilts.com

Re: Kilt adjustment

Post by bear@bearkilts.com »

mugman wrote:Today I think I'll sort out the length of the plain black kilt that arrived during the week, which needs two or so inches taking off the drop. I consider kilts hanging well over the knees to look a sloppy fit, and always go for between 1/3rd coverage of the kneecap and the top of the knee.
The kilt is 8 yards of material so I can see a good hour or two ahead of tediously tacking up the hem and repressing all the pleats, but it has to be done :?
I'd recommend pinning, then basting the hem in place. Iron it, then sew it. I like having a crease to look at when stitching up the hem.
Kilts are garments, not costumes!