Kilt Project Day 1

For those do-it-yourselfers...
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt Project Day 1

Post by JRMILLER »

Well,
We started the kilt project today. What I am working toward is duplicating a Sportkilt (sportkilt.com) in a light blue, soft denim. I purchased the denim a couple days ago at $6/yard -- calculated we would need 3.5 yards. I also purchased what is probably a flannel at $2/yard to do as a test project prior to tackling the denim.

Well, we cut out the flannel today. The main body of the piece is 168" long x 21" wide -- huge! We laid it out on the kitchen table and started forming pleats. It has 15 2" pleats that run from one side, across the back and around the other side.

Pleats are fun, but take time -- I would first measure them, then pin, then iron them. Tomorrow we will sew the top portion just a wee bit.

The large piece came out exactly right, so tomorrow we will join the waist band which will contain elastic inside and some facing to stiffen it. Finally, it gets velcro to attach the overlapping flaps.

Cross your fingers, so far, things have gone very well. We have a good chance of finishing tomorrow. If we do, then I start on the denim! There is a dance this Sat and I hope to wear the denim kilt to the dance!

My wife has some very nice machines, a sewing machine of course and a thing called a serger. The serger cuts and sews at the same time, it's pretty incredible!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Day 2 -- New Years.

Post by JRMILLER »

Went out for supplies -- facing for the waistband and more thread. That serger eats thread like cows eat grass!

Double checked the pinned up pleats and then sewed down from the top of each pleat about 2-1/2" on each one. This basically locks the whole thing together. Pulled the pins. Then, Toni worked on the waistband, finish size is 2", so she started with about 4-1/4" and folded it over, then attached the facing to the inside, then attached the whole thing to the lower unit (the thing with pleats), then folded it over and sewed it to the backside. It looks very good, she did a nice job, I get that job next time!

Only remaining task is to sew the velcro on it which will happen tomorrow. Then, cleanup -- snip threads, etc. and we are done.

I will post a photo of the finished product, so far it's indistinguishable from the original - except for the plaid of course. The plaid doesn't look like any tartans I am aware of, thus, if asked, it will be the tartan of the klan "JoAnn Fabrics".

We have our "technique" down, so the denim should go faster. The only problem with the denim is there are no "lines" built in like the plaid. Means I have to make my own -- pleats are very "line" demanding.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")