For the Adventurous DIY'er

For those do-it-yourselfers...
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

For the Adventurous DIY'er

Post by sapphire »

I recently picked up a copy of the magazine "Altered Couture". It's pricey, $14.99 USD, but the ideas are just out of this world for the freewheeling freestyler!

One idea that I want to share as was using a circular tablecloth as a skirt.

Light dawns! Why not use the the tablecloth/skirt as a petticoat???

Why didn't I think of this before???? Back in the 60's when I was slimmer and more daring, I made a mini dress out of a lace tablecloth.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For the Adventurous DIY'er

Post by Peter v »

sapphire wrote:I recently picked up a copy of the magazine "Altered Couture". It's pricey, $14.99 USD, but the ideas are just out of this world for the freewheeling freestyler!

One idea that I want to share as was using a circular tablecloth as a skirt.

Light dawns! Why not use the the tablecloth/skirt as a petticoat???

Why didn't I think of this before???? Back in the 60's when I was slimmer and more daring, I made a mini dress out of a lace tablecloth.
Hmmn, a young girl, ( see through) lace mini dress...... :shock: 8) :roll: :wink: I can see it before me now.

We seem to have wandered far away from "knitting"and making our own clothes. Maybe it is time for a revival? That is a very good way to bring life back into individuality.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Peter,
Thanks for the nice words <blush>. Yes, I really was that crazy 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, the pace of our culture has become such that most folks don't have the time to create their own clothes.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I think you're still young at heart. :wink:
Most of us are, it's just that we disguise it with a changing outward appearance.

Yes, making your own, clothing and whatever, seems a thing of the past, either laziness or we have it too good, ( which I don't understand, as many people, of which I will soon be one, if nothing changes, live on very low finances, from the social security allowance. ) There used to be a few wool shops in town, but they are all long gone.

But I agree, the fashion today is not to make your own, be creative, which is a true shame. That is yet another thing that seems to be lost, which even though sometimes born out of neccessity, gave much pleasure to the makers, and brought a wealth of nice creations to see and admire. I personally value self made, hand made, made by craftsmen / women, things much more than factory produced articles. In the way that something personal was put into them. Just like music, which is actually made by real people, with music instruments, and not just a compliance of sounds generated by a computer. ( although that in itself is very creative)

This also fits somewhat in mij skirt wearing apreciation, as that is being yourself. When it is an every day thing that men wear skirts, the value of being individual as compared to how it is today, will be somewhat less, but at least then men will finally be free to wear what they wish.

I saw a lovely black knee high skirt today, but the store was closed, so I couldn't look at it from colse by. It was a black skirt with an overlay of black lace. Very festive. Makes me think of your skirt.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtDude wrote:It's really too bad that people are losing interest in home sewing. For me it is the only way to get exactly what I want.
Too true.

I'm waiting for some decent sales to come on-line so I can buy some desperately-needed new shirts, and once that's done, Sapphire and I will be experimenting with my old ones to see what can be done to commercial mens' shirts to make them actually fit my body. Double-ended darts seem to be the answer, but I'm not ready to experiment with shirts that I have to wear to work. ;) If the experiments prove positive, the ECOs ("Engineering Change Orders") will be performed on my work attire.
Time spent sewing a skirt just seems to completely disappear for me. IE I'll be sewing away and realize that it is 1 am and I should really be getting some sleep...
The only solution to that is to start earlier. :)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

What all of you have said is why I'm so intrigued by that magazine, "Altered Couture". It shows examples of how to make garments from other garments. Most of the base garments are from thrift shops, so if you are creative enough, you can get a really unique look for not a lot of money.

For example, a while ago I mentioned that I had bought a pair of trousers and a shirt at the thrift shop and planned to turn both garments into a skirt. I paid about $7USD for the two pieces. The project is sort of on hold. I ran into some bad sewing when deconstructing the pants and need to figure out how to proceed without losing too much of the cloth.

At the same time, I bought a skirt with lots of beautiful cutout ruffles. The waist of the skirt is too small but the design is such that I can replace the top half of the material and get a skirt that fits. That skirt cost about $#USD.

Peter v, Actually I do own a black tiered skirt similar to what you describe. It is black lace over a black satin-y fabric. That was a Wal-Mart find for $12 USD.

If I can ever get a decent shot with my phone camera I'll have to post a picture of a dress I made to wear to a friend's wedding.. It has a blue and black sheer fabric over an opaque fabric for the torso and short puffy sleeves, black lace at the top of the bodice, black lace stand up collar, black lace trimming the sleeves and black lace for the skirt.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Circular checkered tablecloth

Post by Since1982 »

My very first home made skirt was a circular red and white checkered tablecloth when I was about 12, all I had to do was cut a hole in the middle and sew in an elastic waist band. I just loved the way it twirled out nearly straight from my belt. All my previous skirts were ones my mom made for me. I don't know how many reading this thread ever read my history of my youth. My mother raised me as a girl until I was entered into first grade. There was no ultrasound when I was born and she had bought a full wardrobe for the first 4 years of life for a girl which, after having 6 female fetus miscarriages, automatically assumed I was one too. My parents were fairly poor and she wouldn't buy a new wardrobe until I grew out of the one she'd bought. I have a black and white photograph of myself from when I was 3 and completely dressed fem. with mid back length white-blond hair. Looking at that photo and looking at a current one would absolutely look the same in the nose, eyes and lips. Had my dad's nose and my mom's lips. Mom and dad's eyes were nearly identical.

The reason for 6 miscarriages was my mom and dads blood types were completely incompatible, she had 0-RH-negative and he had A+. I, like the dead predecessors was born blue and 2 months early. I died also at birth but was saved.
Last edited by Since1982 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

SkirtDude wrote:It's really too bad that people are losing interest in home sewing. For me it is the only way to get exactly what I want.
Well, I'm not [losing interest].

I think it's because I moved out of a house (that I owned) into an apartment (which I don't.) All the energy that used to go into renovating the house, room by room, now goes into sewing. It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Also, I haven't bought a single skirt that I'm really happy with. Some of the thrift-store skirts come close, but they still need heavy alterations.

At this point, {i]all[/i] of the skirts I wear contra-dancing I have made myself. And nobody at the dances has a skirt anything like any of mine 8) .