Adding pockets

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Nolyn

Adding pockets

Post by Nolyn »

I've been enjoying wearing my utility kilt a lot lately, in part to the convenient pockets. I was making a decision about which mug to wear, and decided to go with the utkilt because of the pockets and that I didn't want to deal with the difficulty of not having pockets. Later in the day, I had a thought, "why not make pockets that can hang from the belt, similar to the utility kilt pockets?" Any thoughts or advice?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Adding pockets

Post by Caultron »

I've thought of that as well -- basically free-hanging cargo pockets with a couple of belt loops at the top. Want another pocket, slip your belt through the loops, done.

It seems something like that should be available from hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, military, or tactical shops -- anybody who might want an extra pocket -- but I've yet to find one.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

While I detest spoorans I do have a hankering for the Fanny (bum) bag.
Has all the compartments and pockets I need with plenty of space for
other belted attachments and best thing yet no alterations required
to the kilt.
I have been kidded about it being my 'Batman Belt' with all the belt
looped attachments i.e. Leatherman tool; Maglite holster; cell phone
and sony digital camera case and the main bag itself.
But it works and is functional without ripping stitches and overtaxing
threads and the kilt construction.

"Kilt-Skirt-ON"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

While watching "Time Team" last night, I was taken by the leather bag hanging, on the right, from one of the stalwart's (Phil Harding) belt. It was in a mid tan leather, about one foot square with a similarity to a saddlebag and seemed just the thing for an extra "pocket" and probably suitable for a hiking accessory. I didn't get a chance to ascertain it's depth front to back, but I would assume that to be comfortably adequate. I notice, with sadness, that the show has been axed and we will not be seeing more episodes after these finish. I did wonder why Professor Mick Ashton wasn't in this lot but find he left after an acrimonious dispute about the "dumbing down" of the programme. (Sorry to swerve so far off topic!)
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Nolyn

Post by Nolyn »

Well then, if adding cargo type pockets is a good idea, how shall I do it? Any ideas on how to make them?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Shouldn't be too difficult - two square shapes with tabs at the top to form the loop for over the belt, all hemmed as required. A bit like those castellated curtains that go over a curtain pole. No snide comments - you know what I mean! :D Have a search around the sewing sites.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.