The skirt... still a bridge too far it seems.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: The skirt... still a bridge too far it seems.

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:53 pmI have mixed feelings about GNC.
When using TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms), can we please call them out for what they mean in context? GNC, to me, indicated "General Nutrition Center" which was at one point in my lifetime a purveyor of "health food" and "supplements". It took several moments to sink in that the thrust was "Gender Non-Conforming" which in my world is a BS (Bull Sh!t) notion.

I was raised by my grand-parents who were born in the very early 20th Century, and they were the product of 19th Century parents. Hence, I am using a very different sense of "masculinity" than is currently expected -- which, to my mind, is entirely machismo and zero masculinity. Machismo is all about bluster, posing, and posturing -- and precisely nothing about "being a man". It's about being a parody -- and a bad one at that -- of being a man. It's entirely pernicious.

So, yes, I have a very different outlook on things than most of the modern set. I have a masculinity rather firmly set in the late 1800s, and am quite happy with it, thank you very much. It allows me vast ranges of expressivity, whether that be with my range of emotions (I have the full range available, unlike modern "men"), the range of my senses of style (I have many), or the range of how I present myself (I present as masculine with an "odd" sense of style). Overall, the effect on observers is that I'm a slightly bewildered time-traveller that has landed in an alien time and cannot escape.

The notion of "The Man Card" needs to be shredded at the earliest convenience as it's a primary driver towards the pathetic parody that is machismo. Shred it, burn the remains, then dissolve the ashes in a basic solution to physically remove what's left. It. Needs. To. Go.

I still recall one hilarious evening at my local when I showed up in a dress with my computer so I could interrogate the local LAN for usability. A couple of the guys at the table made remarks about my "murse". I told them that, "No, that's my laptop bag.", after which the observation was repeated. Unphased, but slightly annoyed, I responded with, "No. That's my laptop bag. This is my purse.", producing the clutch I'd brought along because my dress had no pockets.

My "man card" is quite intact. It's just one that was issued over a century and a half ago. It also gives me vastly more license than the ones granted recently which amount to death-sentences.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't have a "man card". The only card I carry that may come remotely close might be my drivers license which list my sex as "M".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

MAN CARD WHAT IS A MAN CARD???
Who needs one. I have never had one issued to me. Why would I need one??
As for give me skirts or give me dresses!!! :lol:

I yam what I yam, I yam a real man who does anything I want!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

CR Friend complains about people using acronyms then goes on to talk about the LAN. Local Area Network? Makes no sense here. People in the USA are particularly prone to this as if everyone world wide should be familiar with the everyday American way of life. There is also one member who lists his location as 'The nation's capital', so he probably means Washington DC.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Is a "Man Card" is anything like an Australia workers "White Card" ( has been known as Blue Card, Red Card or Green Card). If so I think you will have to comply with certain behaviour and do courses to ensure you are up to date with the latest requirements. Also is it a photo proof of identity card :)
Anyway, my latest skirt purchase came with a substantial solid tag attached to a belt loop saying "I AM GIA" ........ so that will do me whatever that means.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Funny, I thought GIA meant 'Guys in Australia' :idea:

Here we have a quality control kitemark for discerning shoppers to watch out for....ASTD......'Ah shure 'twill do !'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Sorry to post this here, but the PM systems is not working for me. I have tried to PM an administrator because PM's get stuck in my outbox and never get sent. Is there a problem with the PM system?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:01 pmSorry to post this here, but the PM systems is not working for me. I have tried to PM an administrator because PM's get stuck in my outbox and never get sent. Is there a problem with the PM system?
As far as I'm aware, the PM system is working normally. Who'd you try to contact?

Typically, messages remain in the "outbox" until they're read, so that may indicate that whomever you transmitted to just hasn't had a chance to read it.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I tried to PM you and got “internal server error”. Thanks for the clarification of the outbox. I didn’t realize that messages stay in the outbox until read.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:04 pmI tried to PM you and got “internal server error”. Thanks for the clarification of the outbox. I didn’t realize that messages stay in the outbox until read.
It looks like our hosting provider has put something "on top" of Skirt Cafe -- likely "security" software of some sort -- that's buggy, sensitive to what one types, and which throws 500-series errors when it blows up (thus exposing its presence). I've run foul of this before and cannot reproduce it in my lab which has a clone of the forum in it, hence my suspicion. I've also not figured out what terms/verbiage to avoid using.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

In the last week an increasing number of my e-mails have been 'bounced', it looks as though some faulty software is being adopted by one company after another.  The annoying thing is that there is no way of telling the recipients and many of the recipients wouldn't have a clue what to do about it anyway.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:22 pmIn the last week an increasing number of my e-mails have been 'bounced', it looks as though some faulty software is being adopted by one company after another.  The annoying thing is that there is no way of telling the recipients and many of the recipients wouldn't have a clue what to do about it anyway.
Sadly, thanks to the dual abuses of spamming and filtering, e-mail is now essentially useless as a comms mechanism. This is not new, by the way, I've felt that way for several years now. It reached a height of hilarity in the 90s when, because of my surname, I found that I could not reliably communicate with other companies -- and I was the Postmaster for my company!

Worse, still, is the new approach to "security" which more resembles the US TSA [0] looking up skirts at airports instead of proper intelligence-driven methods. It's only made us less secure. Time to retire or die.

[0] United States Transportation "Safety" Administration, which properly reshuffled means "Administration of Security Theatre".
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have very nearly given up on e-mail. I might check it once or twice a week, and I now rarely initiate communications with this medium.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am 65 years old, and grew up with the same taboos as Stevie.

When I was a small boy back in the '60s, females were still...mostly...wearing skirts/dresses.

And my reactions were similar to Stevies. First, I was curious about the girls clothes-these garments were strikingly different from what we boys wore. And second, a bit of envious,as the girls clothes at least looked interesting. While what we boys had to wear was boring.

At the time, it looked like I would be wearing the same boring clothes for the rest of my life.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

just_be_yourself2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.