Sleeve slits - futuristic or fugly?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Sleeve slits - futuristic or fugly?

Post by Coder »

A few years ago I bought a black mock-neck top, long sleeves, that has these horizontal slits on the sleeves. At the time it seemed to me a "futuristic" style, sorta. This is pretty close - except mine is all black, and the slits aren't as pronounced:

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/prod ... ID=3598715

Have any of you seen this sort of thing on the mens rack? Are the slits supposed to evoke a sort of slight reveal of skin? I like the fit of the shirt, and just the oddity of it all (kind of like "what the heck")... but never got the courage to wear it. It looks really good with a few of my skirts, so I might give it a try. If I had a contemporary example of a mens shirt like this, I'd feel less bothered :D

That being said, I've seem all sorts of abominations when it comes to slits on mens t-shirts, but then I'm not really interested in seeing the male form :P
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sleeve slits - futuristic or fugly?

Post by moonshadow »

The only abomination I see is...

$350!

Three-hunred-an-fiddy!

Good God man! :shock:

But hey... "loyalist" get free shipping! Whoohoo! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:07 pm The only abomination I see is...

$350!

Three-hunred-an-fiddy!

Good God man! :shock:

But hey... "loyalist" get free shipping! Whoohoo! :mrgreen:
LOL! I didn't even see the price. No no no - I paid something like $20 for my shirt (granted, it was discounted and from a European brand).

Speaking of ridiculous prices, a maker who I follow on Instagram was showing off these "cool maker jeans" that had all sorts of pockets. I went to the website - $350 to 450 for a pair!!!!! I mean, I get that pants take time to construct, but I'm highly skeptical that THAT much work/effort went into them.

Now returning back to the shirt slits...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

And don't get me wrong - I sew and know how much time things take. But when you get a system down some things can be streamlined. And I will support things that seem high-priced but I believe in, such as Skirtcraft's skirts (provided they also look good, and aren't too expensive).
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Bad enough to have slits cutouts in de pants jeans but to have the cutouts at the elbow - EGADS !
Then cut outs at the top of the sleeve near the neck ?
Those cutouts at the sleeve end (wrist) were for keeping snow out of gloves.
Women's fashion application for men's wear leaves much to be desired.

Forget the tops - it is the skirts that we are taking back one step (skirt) at a time !

AND AT $350 - wonder how many sales are going to happen ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm Bad enough to have slits cutouts in de pants jeans but to have the cutouts at the elbow - EGADS !
I agree with this sentiment, but jeans are rarely, if ever, sewn with a structured slit. That is to say, in shirts the slit isn't torn, it's sewn in. Whereas with jeans I can make a pair of torn jeans like they sell for $$$$.

I dunno, my normal style is t-shirt and chucks (or chuck-like shoes), but sometimes I long for a truly forward-looking design. Something that hasn't been done. I read and watch too much sci-fi.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm Forget the tops - it is the skirts that we are taking back one step (skirt) at a time !
FWIW, the example I sent was pretty ugly (in my opinion). And while I've tried on feminine style tops, they aren't really for me.

Ultimately it is up to each of one of us what we think is esthetically pleasing - both for us and how we perceive ourselves to be seen. ie, what makes us comfortable in the world. Yet... I think some styles of skirt require a more refined top - whether that is a turtleneck, long sleeve knit top, or polo. The shape of certain skirts, it seems to me, needs to have some continuity with the top. I'm not saying a dress - but that the two should flow into one another in a way that isn't jarring.