Feet, how do you stand?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Feet, how do you stand?

Post by SkirtsDad »

A couple of weeks ago I was at the pub with friends and the woman that was with my friend was so please to note that I was standing in the same manner that she does (basically 3rd position in ballet - one foot placed in front of the other with the heel of the front foot near the arch of the other). Whether it is relevant I'm not sure, but I've studied dance and she happens to be a hip-hop dance teacher. I find it's a very comfortable and stable position to stand in such as if I'm in a queue at a supermarket, for instance. It feels particularly suited to heels.

Do you have any particular ways of standing? Does it depend what you are wearing, or perhaps what shoes you are wearing?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Feet, how do you stand?

Post by beachlion »

I also noted the position of your feet in some pictures.

When I stay in line, I have my feet slightly outwards. Maybe 5 to 10 degrees from the center line. If I have to be stationary for some time, I might start alternating my weight between my feet. I don't think I change my ways with different shoes.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

After I broke my leg in fifth grade and spent a long time in traction and then a cast, my right foot turns out about 20°, unless, for some reason, I try to hold it straight, which is a slight strain.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

One great corrector of feet alignment is a pair of cross country skis. With those on, your 6-foot feet tell you pretty quickly where they're pointing !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

This topic is a bit of a coincidence because yesterday a friend commented on my gait.  I was walking up a slight hill in very heavy hiking boots and he commented that I seemed to be putting my feet down flat instead of toe-heel.  I haven't looked into this any further, but it seems probable that the boots were making me walk differently from normal.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Kirbstone wrote:One great corrector of feet alignment is a pair of cross country skis. With those on, your 6-foot feet tell you pretty quickly where they're pointing !
That makes sense. It's probably why I get an achy right hip after skiing awhile.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

pelmut wrote:This topic is a bit of a coincidence because yesterday a friend commented on my gait.  I was walking up a slight hill in very heavy hiking boots and he commented that I seemed to be putting my feet down flat instead of toe-heel.  I haven't looked into this any further, but it seems probable that the boots were making me walk differently from normal.
Don't worry, I do the same. It all depends on the rate of the slope. When it is sloping slightly, I walk quite normal heel-toe. When it gets steeper, I put my feet just flat on the ground. When it gets too steep to do bend my ankle that far, I just go on my toes only. If the slope is soft like sand or dirt, I go even sideways. When I have to walk in soft sand like on a beach, I walk like a camel: shorter steps and with my feet flat. It is less tiring on the ankles that way.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I tend to man-spread, to compensate for being a little topheavy. Knees slightly past the hips, toes slightly pointed outward for greater stability. Much the same for walking downstairs.

Interestingly, though, when I walk on level ground I find that I use the "model catwalk" technique, placing each foot directly in front of the other more or less at my body center. My chiropractor said that's good for my spine, or something, so I make a conscious effort not to waddle when I walk.
Ralph!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Ralph wrote:interestingly, though, when I walk on level ground I find that I use the "model catwalk" technique, placing each foot directly in front of the other more or less at my body center. My chiropractor said that's good for my spine, or something, so I make a conscious effort not to waddle when I walk.
Oh nice, I wasn't aware of that. I think I've always had that tendency, even as a kid. I used to walk along the kerb, or painted lines. Even now I find myself walking along the lines of the paving slabs out of habit. It's a sort of compultion, I don't choose it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm a "senior millennial".... we don't stand, we lean. :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My knee was crushed in an accident nearly 40 years ago so I usually stand on the other leg. I hike in the desert and when looking at my tracks they look like a penguin's prints. I tend to walk without bending my knees very much and kind of rock from one foot to the other with my feet pointing outward. I am considering knee replacements. Several women have told me I have nice legs. I was traveling with my family several years ago and went in to a restaurant to buy some coffee and a waitress was staring at my legs and told me "you sure have nice legs." I was wearing shorts. That was before I began to wear skirts. I am sure I blushed.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

SkirtsDad wrote:A couple of weeks ago I was at the pub with friends and the woman that was with my friend was so please to note that I was standing in the same manner that she does (basically 3rd position in ballet - one foot placed in front of the other with the heel of the front foot near the arch of the other). Whether it is relevant I'm not sure, but I've studied dance and she happens to be a hip-hop dance teacher. I find it's a very comfortable and stable position to stand in such as if I'm in a queue at a supermarket, for instance. It feels particularly suited to heels.

Do you have any particular ways of standing? Does it depend what you are wearing, or perhaps what shoes you are wearing?
Having taken ballet and modern decades ago, I still find myself standing in third, or fifth (nearly), because it seems so right when attuned to the feeling of being skirted and free. I think the beauty of those moments becomes indelible in one's soul. Otherwise, I am just standing like any other dude.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I try to keep mine on the ground,
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That reminds me of some advice given by a choir conductor: "Put your feet on the floor before you stand up to sing"!

We knew what he meant, and it made perfect sense. Honestly!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:15 am A couple of weeks ago I was at the pub with friends and the woman that was with my friend was so please to note that I was standing in the same manner that she does (basically 3rd position in ballet - one foot placed in front of the other with the heel of the front foot near the arch of the other). Whether it is relevant I'm not sure, but I've studied dance and she happens to be a hip-hop dance teacher. I find it's a very comfortable and stable position to stand in such as if I'm in a queue at a supermarket, for instance. It feels particularly suited to heels.

Dang, now I am going to have to think.

Yes, it definitely depends on what I am wearing and what shoes I am wearing. In skirts my legs and feet are almost always closer together than they were when I wore pants. This is partly, I think, because all our elevators have full length mirrors in them, and I use the moment to look like what I like to see: feet parallel and not splayed, and legs close if not together. Partly too is the fact that it is just more comfortable to do that in a skirt than in trousers, so that way of standing has simply entered my repertoire.

I have been conscious of doing "runway" walk a lot more now that I often wear heels. Heels just look very awkward when walking like a duck or Festus, and feel less stable as well. My standing posture at exit lines and such is probably halfway between first and third ballet positions, and the separation between my feet probably gets wider the lower my heels are.
Daryl...