We've got a really big shoe for you tonight

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: We've got a really big shoe for you tonight

Post by weeladdie18 »

When I used to go Scottish Country Dancing ,the lassies wore dancing pumps...The Kilted Male wore flat soled pumps which looked a
a bit like brogues and were laced up around the ankles.......

It felt a bit strange to step onto a planked dance floor in flat soled shoes...
Like a bygone era ....when we wore the Kilt....and the Lassies all wore beautiful dresses or skirts to go dancing

For our Annual Highland Ball we were accompanied by a live Scottish Country Dance Band ,
with fifty Kilted Males on the dance floor with their partners......weeladdie
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

Weeladdie

I wore the kilt for irish dancing, When we started dance we wore an inexpensive kilt I suppose to get us used to the idea, and thoes shoes then as we progressed we went to soft boys shoes and hard shoes depending on the dance,
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In the Irish Dance group ,Yetminster Dorset U.K. ...Nearly fifty years ago , I can remember the Boys in Blue Kilts...the webb page is now
nearly ten years out of date.....

Generally nowadays very few boys are dancing in Irish Dance Groups....most of them wear trousers.....times have changed

Generally in Irish Male Pipe Bands, the Saffron Kilt is worn
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

weeladdie18 wrote:In the Irish Dance group ,Yetminster Dorset U.K. ...Nearly fifty years ago , I can remember the Boys in Blue Kilts...the webb page is now
nearly ten years out of date.....

Generally nowadays very few boys are dancing in Irish Dance Groups....most of them wear trousers.....times have changed

Generally in Irish Male Pipe Bands, the Saffron Kilt is worn
For sure, I think the whole kilt thing went because they hoped without it boys would join without being pushed, and also riverdance changed it,

Though its a pity in ways as I do not think a pipe band would look great in tracksuits,

In saying that Initally I was bothered but then it became the norm as these things do.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is perhaps sad to say that those who suggest that the traditional Male Kilt is nowadays more commonly worn as a " Uniform "....
are correct in this statement.....In my travels I find less males wearing the Traditional Scottish Kilt as part of their every day male wear.

For various reasons the young male no longer wears the Kilt as part of his countries heritage....It is also more likely that his mother
will be seen wearing trousers or leggings.....This is just a sign of the times in the adaption of " more practical wear "...........
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It does seem correct to suggest that the Traditional Scottish Kilt is being worn ,often as a hire garment to family celebrations
such as weddings ......

More cheap imitation " Traditional Scottish Kilts " .....are being sold on Ebay as being Traditional Kilts....
However well educated wearers admit these garments are good cheap and cheerful...." Party Kilts.."...............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In the future , maybe the " cheap and cheerful Party Kilt ..."
....will become an alternative to the trousers for the male as part of his casual wardrobe........

The design problem is that these garments do not have the swing and protection of the Traditional Scottish Kilt...
....and the knife edge pleats do not stay in place due to the lack of depth in the number of pleats or weight of the material

The reason for this is the cost of production in the modern consumer world.........weeladdie
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

weeladdie18 wrote:It is perhaps sad to say that those who suggest that the traditional Male Kilt is nowadays more commonly worn as a " Uniform "....
are correct in this statement.....In my travels I find less males wearing the Traditional Scottish Kilt as part of their every day male wear.

For various reasons the young male no longer wears the Kilt as part of his countries heritage....It is also more likely that his mother
will be seen wearing trousers or leggings.....This is just a sign of the times in the adaption of " more practical wear "...........
The kilt is still worn in Ireland, still in pipe bands and still with scouts, Some gaelschoils wear them for formal events as do some scout troups.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

kiltguyire wrote:The kilt is still worn in Ireland, still in pipe bands and still with scouts, Some gaelschoils wear them for formal events as do some scout troups.
Sure, but that's not "part of their every day male wear"; that's for formal and ceremonial occasions. I have a friend who lives in the countryside west of Edinburgh. He's also a skirt-wearer and when I asked him about kilts, he said he's never owned one and the only people he sees wearing kilts are the tourists.

Not sure if he's 100% serious, but it gave me a chuckle.
Ralph!
kiltguyire

Post by kiltguyire »

Ralph wrote:
kiltguyire wrote:The kilt is still worn in Ireland, still in pipe bands and still with scouts, Some gaelschoils wear them for formal events as do some scout troups.
Sure, but that's not "part of their every day male wear"; that's for formal and ceremonial occasions. I have a friend who lives in the countryside west of Edinburgh. He's also a skirt-wearer and when I asked him about kilts, he said he's never owned one and the only people he sees wearing kilts are the tourists.

I think they were worn much more in the past but its good to see younger folk seeing them as a clothing option
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

kiltguyire wrote:
Ralph wrote:

I think they were worn much more in the past but its good to see younger folk seeing them as a clothing option
Thanks for the information on Kilt Wearing in Ireland....I feel that kilt wearing is perhaps a cultural " uniform" for various groups all over U.K.
It is also a regional attire and an attire for family events, ....Behind closed doors...These days I wear my Kilt out on the street, but as in the past...
I rarely see a Kilt out on the street...Perhaps the cost is prohibitive if one does not mix with a hard core Kilt wearing group of friends.