Definitive List of Sources for Shoes in Larger Sizes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Definitive List of Sources for Shoes in Larger Sizes

Post by FranTastic444 »

Apologies if this has been covered before - couldn't find anything from a quick search.

After a chance read of a post by Mike, I got to hear of Payless as a source of shoes from t'other side of the aisle in larger / wider sizes. I'm looking for other stores that will do home delivery in larger sizes.

Here's what my investigations have come up with so far - please let me know of any stores that you have used (plus feedback of any experience you have with dealing with such retailers). This initial list is very much US based - please feel free to add content from other countries. I've used US size 13 as a my search point as this happens to be my size and it seems to be that many sites have good stock up to 11 and 12. Above 13, the sites listed below have very limited options.

Payless.
At the time of putting this together, the search on size 13 brought up over 200 results. When you add wide, it drops to 49. Their stuff is at the low end of the price range - everything I have looked at on their site is man made rather than leather uppers. I've ordered online here - the goods took about 5 days to be delivered to their store and I had no problems with a return. Almost always have sales on (up to 40% off). Be prepared to get heavily spammed with emails once you purchase something from them.

DSW
50 results on size 13 - the filter goes all the way up to size 16! More expensive than Payless, but some of their stock is available in leather.

Kohl's
All the results in 13's are the likes of Crocs, Converse etc. Lots more choice if you drop down to 12's.

Torrid
As recommended by Daryl on another thread. A search returned 122 results for size 13 - many of them in wide fit. The only problem I foresee here is that at this size, the boots all appear to be wide width AND wide calf. Thinking that 20 inch calf might be a bit on the baggy side for me! Prices / stock seems to be similar to Payless - most of the content is man made.

LongTallSally
Lots of stock (over 230 in a search for 13's). Prices higher than for others above and even at $100 you are probably looking at man made rather than leather.

JC Penny
Small selection in 13 (27). No boots - shoes only. Range jumps to over 200 if you go down to a size 12.

Famous Footwear
Have a big inventory, but apparently no option to search by size!

Macys
23 results - shoes only.

TJ Maxx / Marshalls
Very limited choice and the websites aren't helpful when it comes to searches. Think this is the sort of store where you have to turn up and see what they have in stock.

Amazon
If you navigate a pane on the left hand side of the screen and follow the path clothing > shoes and jewelry : women : shoes you get to the point that you need to pick a category. Once you have selected a category you can then go for size. 13's in boots turns up 234 results. Ankle and bootie returns 489 results.

eBay
So, the trick here is to select size 11 when searching for women's shoes and then in the extended search options you will be able to add larger sizes and deselect size 11. I have a general dislike of this site given some trouble I had there years back, but it is clear from reading posts here and from doing a quick search that this site will probably give you the widest selection of shoes in larger sizes. One of the big advantages of Amazon is that most sellers allow for easy / free returns - not sure if that is the same with FleaBay??

Nordstrom
Maybe my favourite selection of footwear so far. Pricier than Payless and the like, but a good selection of leather boots and ankle boots in larger sizes in the price range $100 - $150

It is clear that there is a cutoff point between sizes 12 and 13. At 12 the number of results jumps significantly. Appreciating that sizing is not an exact science, I may try some 12's to see if they will work. As Daryl pointed out on a related thread, 12's might work with "light hosiery" rather than socks.

If anyone knows of a supplier who can get me something like this in a 13, I'd be most grateful of the details.
Last edited by FranTastic444 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Definitive List of Sources for Shoes in Larger Sizes

Post by shadowfax »

eBay :)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I can find shoes in the proper length but finding them wide enough, now that is the problem. I take a 13 double wide in a sandal "T" strap type. And a triple wide in any other shoe. Width is the biggest problem!! Since almost all shoes are now made in China or other countries close by them, their idea of wide is just not what we westerners think of as wide.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

How could I miss FleaBay :-) I actually avoid this site like the plague after having some unhappy experiences with it years ago. I tried a search and the women's shoes range does not offer a dedicated search above 11. Thinking about it though, I did buy a pair of men's boots off there a couple of years back that look just like ladies boots....

Fred, I find the default width of guys shoes in the US is narrower than in the UK - you have my sympathy :-)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

How to search for up to size 15 on eBay

Post by shadowfax »

FranTastic444 wrote:How could I miss FleaBay :-) I actually avoid this site like the plague after having some unhappy experiences with it years ago. I tried a search and the women's shoes range does not offer a dedicated search above 11. Thinking about it though, I did buy a pair of men's boots off there a couple of years back that look just like ladies boots....

Fred, I find the default width of guys shoes in the US is narrower than in the UK - you have my sympathy :-)
There is a dedicated search to find women's shoe sizes above 11, up to 15. It's somewhat hidden. :wink: :)

Click on any shoe size in the left hand column, 11 say. The page will update. To the right of the box ticked with size 11, another link labelled, "see all" will be visible. Click on it and a pop-up window will open. Sizes up to 15 are selectable. Select one of the sizes then deselect size 11. On the left hand side of the pop-up window, you can also select the shoe's width and other features such as heel type, heel height, et cetera. When you are done with your selection(s), click the blue, "Apply" button, bottom right, to start the search.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How to search for up to size 15 on eBay

Post by FranTastic444 »

shadowfax wrote: Click on any shoe size in the left hand column, 11 say. The page will update. To the right of the box ticked with size 11, another link labelled, "see all" will be visible. Click on it and a pop-up window will open. Sizes up to 15 are selectable. Select one of the sizes then deselect size 11. On the left hand side of the pop-up window, you can also select the shoe's width and other features such as heel type, heel height, et cetera. When you are done with your selection(s), click the blue, "Apply" button, bottom right, to start the search.
Great - thanks for the info. I've added FleaBay to the original post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

In the eBay search window put down the specifics i.e. WOMENS BOOTS SIZE 13 (12 - 13 - 14) BLACK (OTHER COLOR) WIDE WIDTH

From there you can pare it down - you will still get a lot mislabeled generic footwear.
Find something close or right on place it on your watch list.
After the search go back to your list and look for that item.
On the right margin look for MORE ACTIONS click for the drop down mode and click on VIEW SIMILAR ITEMS
Now eBay has an inkle of what you want - not perfect.

Nice black boot with the brown banded top - I believe that Macy's had them last year.
Presently there are similar types of boots listed for $450 - WOW out of my financial realm

An addition to the list for those in the Pacific Northwest is Nordstrom's (check out their RACK).

For getting the large size shoes check with the merchant for when new stock is going to arrive.
Be first in the door to check it out or have it reserved under counter for you.
Payless offers a great customer service for this (for it frequent customers)
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The Payless store in my town has gone the way of the DODO! The store suddenly closed and was torn down and is now a fast food place soon to open. Nobody knows why it closed. So in my town there are no stores that carry ladies shoes in the larger sizes anymore. They only go up to size 10 wide.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
brennk

Post by brennk »

Tieks makes ballet flats up to size 13 and in about a million colors. Kind of expensive, but worth it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Fred - maybe it was just down to an owner not being prepared to renew a lease or rent rises causing the company to look for a new outlet? Maybe they will be back in business nearby soon?

Brennk - Tieks are a new one on me. I have to say that flats generally have been off my radar - they seem to me like the footwear equivalent of a plunging or large-neck top that looks fine on a female body, but maybe doesn't work too well for a male (but that is just my opinion of how I think such shoes would look on me - I'm sure that there are guys who can carry these off with style). My feet are large, Hobbit-like hairy and veins can be clearly seen - maybe not the best raw material for working with such a type of shoe!

RMA - thanks for the explanation re eBay. $450 for a pair of those boots is not in my current spending plan (I presume that they are a 'designer' make at that price point). If I were ever to get to the point where they are part of my everyday wardrobe then I'd consider paying out for a decent leather pair over PU, but hopefully without spending quite so much....

Nordstrom will be added to the list. They have some great leather boots and ankle boots in the $100 - $150 range.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Thinking about the flats from the earlier response to this thread and deciding at the same time whether to press the button on the latest Payless 40% off offer, I came across a shoe style that I hadn't considered before up until now.

I'm thinking that ladies sandals aren't so different from those sold to men, so maybe that is a style I should consider for the summer? Something like this.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Seconded for Nordstrom. I just grabbed a pair of boots from Nordstrom Rack (their clearance dept) officially, it's a US ladies size 12, and they say that converts to euro 42. However, I am US size 11.5 -12 mens,Euro 45.5 - 46, so there is no way these should fit, but they do. Shoe size conversions drive me nuts, I have to deal with it all the time at work. They are Naturalizer Jean, in black. (Not wide calf) nearly perfect fit, and only $140 Canadian. If I'm going to be picky, I'd like them to be an inch taller, slightly narrower shaft, and better insoles, but they're the closest I've found so far. I've also found Clarks sizing is about the same.