Legitimizing a Day in a Dress for Men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Legitimizing a Day in a Dress for Men

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

An idea that pops up from time to time is that it would be a whole lot easier to establish fashion freedom if there was a set day when we would all show up in skirts for the day. Obviously, that would be a little difficult to organize and pull off.

But I saw something today that might have some promise. In the Us, the American Cancer Society has established October as breast cancer awareness month and pink is its official color. Recently, they've gotten men in on the act with their "Real Men Wear Pink!" promotion. As part of that campaign they recognize men who raise $2,500 or more.

That got me thinking, one could make it challenge at your job and on your Facebook page (yes Carl, we all know you call it Farcebook) that if and when you raise the $2,500 you'll wear a pink dress for the day. Thinking it's a joke, your coworkers might get to your goal pretty quickly! When they see how nice you look in it, you might get invited to make it a regular occurrence. Or you could conveniently forget it was for just one day. Or you could set additional goals: say if you hit $3,000, it will be pink skirted outfits all week, $5,000 the whole rest of the month! (I know, it would be torture, right? But anything for the cause!).
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Legitimizing a Day in a Dress for Men

Post by moonshadow »

But every day is a legitimate day for dresses for men! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

I know that and you know that, but we have brothers who are looking for someone to give them permission to take that first public step. We also both know that going to work in a dress is TOUGH.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:I know that and you know that, but we have brothers who are looking for someone to give them permission to take that first public step.
It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission. Seize the moment, don't ask for a piece of it.
We also both know that going to work in a dress is TOUGH.
Indeed. Even I haven't yet done that, and I now have two very nice dresses.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It sounds like a good idea, But unfortunately I think that the purpose of the day would be misconstrued as some sought of gay pride day.

Here is a point. October 11th I had a doctors appointment and generally spent the entire day running around doing errands etc I was wearing a skirt the whole day .

Nothing happened but I was a little upset when I got home turned on the TV and some commentator was talking about "National Coming Out day"

Like I said nothing happened but I am sure that anyone who heard a similar comment early in the morning than saw me in my skirt came to a certain incorrect conclusion.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Nothing happened but I was a little upset when I got home turned on the TV and some commentator was talking about "National Coming Out day"
I see it was a slow news day and the talking head needed something to fill the airtime with.

This sort of thing is going to be perceived as a problem up until humankind goes extinct -- and it doesn't need to be a problem. First and foremost, somebody else's "alignment" is of precisely no matter unless one is interested in an intimate relationship. Full stop. If you're not after intimacy, then it's irrelevant. If anybody asks questions, you can deal with the matter in conversation; if they haven't the courage to interact with you, then it'll remain their problem.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

If I were "looking for an excuse" to dress up, I think I'd go for one of two existing events. Number one would be Halloween, but maybe this would work better in the US than in the UK or elsewhere. I have in my mind a male version of this outfit.

Problem is, if I tried to pull that one off I'd probably end up looking like Grotbags. This cultural reference may mean something to Brits of a certain age :-)

The other event would be gay pride. This might be contentious - I'm sure that many of us don't put ourselves on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, but it is the one event where you can be out in public and look totally plain / under-dressed compared to the many weird, wacky, ostentatious and totally wonderful people who frequent such events. A visit to somewhere like Provincetown in MA or maybe Brighton in the UK might be an alternative??
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote:A visit to somewhere like Provincetown in MA or maybe Brighton in the UK might be an alternative??
Having been to Provincetown a number of times, all of which involved me and skirts, I can say with a great deal of confidence you will be ignored. The straight guys will ignore you because they've got the wrong assumptions, the homosexual guys will ignore you because they're after something else, the homosexual girls will likely outright shun you, and the straight girls may compliment you tentatively unless they're with their boyfriends.

Provincetown has a strange -- some might even say queer -- dynamic.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Nothing happened but I was a little upset when I got home turned on the TV and some commentator was talking about "National Coming Out day"
:lol: Daaaaaaaaans coming out so you better get this party started.....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Sorry to disappoint Dan, but you did come out that day, like many other days, as YOU. A gender fluid, heterosexual male. I should know, I are one too and have even worn dresses to work.

In fact, during my temporary assignment at Intel, I probably wore dresses more often then pants. During my gig in Hawaii, I never wore pants to work and mostly dresses. No one questions my being a male. Nor my masculinity.

But, like most people, I need my paychecks. So, yeah, I asked first in both situations. Courtesy costs nothing and never hurts. When you know you have management's blessing, it makes it a whole lot easier to wear your skirt or dress to work with confidence, which we can all agree is an absolute must for things to go well.

Do it my way or do it Carl's, but do it! You'll probably find it's less of a risk and more of a kick than you imagined!

Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:An idea that pops up from time to time is that it would be a whole lot easier to establish fashion freedom if there was a set day when we would all show up in skirts for the day. Obviously, that would be a little difficult to organize and pull off.

But I saw something today that might have some promise. In the Us, the American Cancer Society has established October as breast cancer awareness month and pink is its official color. Recently, they've gotten men in on the act with their "Real Men Wear Pink!" promotion. As part of that campaign they recognize men who raise $2,500 or more.

That got me thinking, one could make it challenge at your job and on your Facebook page (yes Carl, we all know you call it Farcebook) that if and when you the the $2,500 you'll wear a pink dress for the day. Thinking it's a joke, your coworkers might get to your goal pretty quickly! When they see how nice you look in it, you might get invited to make it a regular occurrence. Or you could conveniently forget it was for just one day. Or you could set additional goals: say if you hit $3,000, it will be pink skirted outfits all week, $5,000 the whole rest of the month! (I know, it would be torture, right? But anything for the cause!).
Nobody will donate unless they think you are going through some kind of hardship for it. If they know you want to do it anyway, it won't work as a fundraiser. Since I have already worn solid pink from head-to-toe (shirt, skirt and socks) to work and many other places, no one would pay me to do it. (pout)

I don't call it "Farcebook". I don't call it anything. :D
Daryl...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Daryl wrote: Nobody will donate unless they think you are going through some kind of hardship for it. If they know you want to do it anyway, it won't work as a fundraiser.

That's why this was a suggestion for the denizens of the Café who have yet to go to work in a skirted garment. Clearly, you don't need such a ploy! Good for you!
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

You know I saw it on the last application I filled out , it was right after " oriental" and before "other " got to remember to check It off White gender fluid ,heterosexual male :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Daryl wrote: Nobody will donate unless they think you are going through some kind of hardship for it.
So how does Movember work? It's the easiest charity fundraiser ever. All you have to do is not shave. It's less effort than normal!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

So recently we tried (and failed) to float a "go fund me" to get Amber's cat neutered....

What's a man gotta wear in this town to get a little help chopping off an animals nuts? :P
-Andrea