high heels and half-inch-itis

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

high heels and half-inch-itis

Post by Daryl »

I am writing this while wearing my new 2.5" heels (visible here). I was so amazed with the fit I decided to wear them a lot, to do a kind of torture test to make sure I wanted to buy a backup pair for when they wear out. I ordered the backup pair a few minutes ago. Over the past two days I did a lot of walking in them, with trips to the supermarket, a mall, some small shops, plus Home Depot and Canadian Tire.

Although they are shifting weight to the balls of my feet, which are getting slightly more sore than usual after a lot of walking, they are also relieving knee pain I have due to torn menisci and some other minor deterioration. The knee pain is reduced substantially. I have no idea how long that will continue but it is welcome. Changing the angle of the load on my knees subtly seems to be having that effect, and I won't quibble with it!

Some friends of ours sailed around the world in a 56 foot boat. I asked why 56 feet and was told they had acquired 10-foot-itis, after starting with a 26 foot boat. I am already considering getting another pair of shoes or boots at least a half inch higher than these. Has anyone else here experienced half-inch-itis, and if so, what eventually stopped the upward growth of your heels (if it has in fact stopped now)?

And how about heel-width-itis? Has anyone graduated from wide block heels like mine to skinny pointy heels, and lived to share the story? I have to admit, these are igniting a new range of possibilities in my mind. The success at finding a women's size that works on my feet is no small part of that.

I do get looks when out in public, and I'm pretty sure the boots have increased those significantly, even though they are far from radical in height, and are not super femme. People are just drinking in the full magnificence of the view, I reckon. :D
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: high heels and half-inch-itis

Post by skirtyscot »

At first glance I read the title of this thread as "... half inch tits" and I wondered what the hell it would be about!

My highest heels are 2". I don't feel the need to go any higher. However one day last year I was out seeing what was going cheap in the summer sales, and though I wasn't looking for footwear, I spotted a couple of pairs of ankle boots as I was walking through a shop. One black and shiny, one black suede, and both with about 2/3 off. The largest size fitted nicely so I couldn't resist. The suede ones have 2.5" heels, but as I already had black suede ankle boots, they are staying in the cupboard for the time being. The current (2") pair are not wearing very well, so it may not be long until I am tottering around on that extra half inch!

I've got used to 2" heels and don't really notice the height or the feel of them any more. But the extra wee bit seems to make quite a difference. Going down stairs feels awkward, in particular. I can't see me gradually adding another half inch, and another...
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:At first glance I read the title of this thread as "... half inch tits" and I wondered what the hell it would be about!

My highest heels are 2". I don't feel the need to go any higher. However one day last year I was out seeing what was going cheap in the summer sales, and though I wasn't looking for footwear, I spotted a couple of pairs of ankle boots as I was walking through a shop. One black and shiny, one black suede, and both with about 2/3 off. The largest size fitted nicely so I couldn't resist. The suede ones have 2.5" heels, but as I already had black suede ankle boots, they are staying in the cupboard for the time being. The current (2") pair are not wearing very well, so it may not be long until I am tottering around on that extra half inch!

I've got used to 2" heels and don't really notice the height or the feel of them any more. But the extra wee bit seems to make quite a difference. Going down stairs feels awkward, in particular. I can't see me gradually adding another half inch, and another...
I trotted to get out of the way of traffic at the mall the other day and discovered I had to do a girly trot. Stride limited by footwear not skirt diameter is a new experience. Haven't tried to go down any stairs yet.

Funny you should mention suede. The same place had some pink ("old rose") suede booties. I brought them on screen just to tease MOH, though the truth is I do have a pink straight skirt they would totally work with. MOH declared that she would go out with me wearing the black booties but not if I wore pink ones. Heh heh life is fun.
Daryl...
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hi Daryl,
Going downstairs takes more finesse than going up because as you said your weight's on the balls of your feet. The trick is to turn your ankle or your body so your feet are sideways along the stair and across your direction of travel.

As to your original question, shortly after I started wearing skirts and dresses in public, I realized men's shoes wouldn't cut it because of their style. I thought I would draw the line on high heels so I looked for stacked heels, maybe 2, 2 1/2 inches tall. It didn't take long before the height restrictions were gone and then the style. I found even with a 1" platform sole, 4" heels are a challenge to move around in. My latest pair of stilettos might be 4" but I can't resist the color and style and the ankle strap probably helps.

Naturalizers generally have bigger heel pads so they're much easier to maintain your balance in and they're designed to not only be stylish, but comfortable. Of all my shoes, I get the most compliments on my Naturalizer T-straps. They cost a little more, but they're worth it!

No matter what I wear people call me "Sir." With all due respect.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I started with 2" heels, then graduated to 3", and then 4". However, at 4", though, I found it extremely hard to find anything comfortable. Most 4" heels seem to have straight back stiletto heels and that shift too much weight onto the balls of my feet and my toes. They also make be bend my ankle more than I find comfortable. I do have one pair at 3-1/2" and one at 4" but again, I find these very hard to find, so for the most part I stick to 3"

The easiest heels, at least for me, have forward-slanted heels that meet the ground directly below my shin bone (tibia), that don't squish my toes, and that have a top strap. A heel that meets the ground behind the line of the shin bone shirts more weight to the balls and toes and that creates problems for me. The strap keeps them from falling off my feet.

Lace-ups are also more comfortable because they direct some of the weight onto the top of your foot.

I find it important for heels to fit my feet firmly but not to the point of discomfort. Heels are hard enough to walk in comfortably without having you foot slide around inside them. If necessary, wear a no-show sock ("footsie") to tighten the fit. My left foot is a half size bigger than my right, so unless the shoes have adjustable straps I often wear a footsie only on my right foot, or one of the left and two on the right.

Stiletto heels are a little harder to walk in than block but not a lot. Stilettos just requires a bit more stiffness in the ankle.

Every now and then I'll get the question, "Why are you wearing heels?" and I've found the most universally-accepted answer to be, "I'm just goofing around."

Above all have fun with it, and every now and then you'll get, "I like your heels!"
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I found a sort of stealth heels. They are 2 1/2" high and look like loafers, if that is the correct term. I'm also experimenting what works and what not and this pair is very comfortable. When I forgot my beach shoes, I had to walk through soft sand on them and it went without a problem. Because of the block heels, they don't look like heels that much.
P1010355q.jpg
P1010338qq.jpg
Now I'm on the look out for something similar with 3" heels but that might be more difficult.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:I found a sort of stealth heels. They are 2 1/2" high and look like loafers, if that is the correct term. I'm also experimenting what works and what not and this pair is very comfortable. When I forgot my beach shoes, I had to walk through soft sand on them and it went without a problem. Because of the block heels, they don't look like heels that much.
Those could almost slip past my wife, who never wants to be out with me when I'm wearing anything that looks like women's shoes. Where did you get the?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Caultron wrote:...... Those could almost slip past my wife, who never wants to be out with me when I'm wearing anything that looks like women's shoes. Where did you get the?
They are from Amazon, cheap enough for an experiment. The male looks of it did me buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075G6K7CG?re ... _e801_dp_1
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

My First Heels were La Dame boots with a 2" block heel, I was wearing them when I went out at night, they became my choice for dress shoes. On a whim I bough some 3" Spike Hell boot and to my surprise they are quite comfortable, but took some time getting used to. Then back the same source and out came a strane boot, its a lug soul boot with 1" Platform and 3 1/5" Block Heel. Today my everyday boot is has a 2" Wedge heel.

The reason for boots is I find they have more height in the toe box which my toes need, as much as I have tried I just cant wear something like Ballet Flats, or even Open toe Sandals just not enough height in the toe area.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

phathack wrote:My First Heels were La Dame boots with a 2" block heel, I was wearing them when I went out at night, they became my choice for dress shoes. On a whim I bough some 3" Spike Hell boot and to my surprise they are quite comfortable, but took some time getting used to. Then back the same source and out came a strane boot, its a lug soul boot with 1" Platform and 3 1/5" Block Heel. Today my everyday boot is has a 2" Wedge heel.

The reason for boots is I find they have more height in the toe box which my toes need, as much as I have tried I just cant wear something like Ballet Flats, or even Open toe Sandals just not enough height in the toe area.
Is it NOT so much as HEIGHT as opposed to WIDTH.
As the foot is inserted into the shoe boot it is not the height that is the factor it is the width.
With a wide width (C D or E - A & B are medium) the foot spreads out in the toe box.
With pointed toe box the shoe must be one size larger to corral the toes into the box.
But the height remains consistent pretty much in all shoes unless you have strange feet.
Folks with narrow heels face a problem of a sloppy fit unless buffered with sox padding.
The measurement factors for footwear are first the length of the foot from toe to heel and
then the width.
Length is in numerical sizing - Width in letter sizing.
The sizing numbers are different for USA shoes UK and other nationality - sizing interpolation
charts below:

WOMENS:
https://www.payless.com/customer-servic ... twear.html

MENS:
https://www.payless.com/customer-servic ... twear.html

Next time you are in a foot wear store ask to see the Brannock device for sizing.
There is one for guys - one for gals and one for the wee ones.
You step into the device with the heel in the correct direction for the measurements.
Measure both feet and go with the larger size for the fitting.
Image of a combination male/female Brannock device below:
BRANNOCK.jpg
Jam your toes into too tight shoes and you will have hammer toes.
Not enough room width and you will have the potential of blisters.
Too loose a fit and you maybe prone to blistering also.

It is too bad that the ole timers of the shoe trade are not around to offer guidance.
Buy a cheap shoe and get a cheap fit with medical problems.
Buy an expensive shoe and get the same results if not sized right.
Best to try in the store in the late afternoon after you have been on your feet all day.
Wear the type of sox you would expect to wear with that footwear - no ph here wear
a cushioned sox or the type of sox that is customarily worn with that shoe.
Hopefully the store will be stocked with bracketed sizing for a better fitting.
OLD SCHOOL - breaking in shoes is FAUX and misleading !
The shoe fits from the git go or it does NOT ! Accept no substitute your feet with tell you !
Buying online has its problems with not only the Shipping & Handling but the trying for size !
Amazon is pretty good about this with return shipping complimentary Ebay not so good !

I have been around the block a few times with my footwear - this is serious business -
fashionable my posterior - don't get a clumsy ill fitting fashionable shoe and trip the light
fantastic on the runway (curb) of getting to your job theatre home - Hey did you just see
that - he did a three quarter gainer and never lost stride until he hit that curb - Whew talk
about a high wire act !

There is a TV insurance commercial about "Are you in Good Hands?"

Well are you in good feet ?
I am going to sit down now and rest my footsies - take a load off my feet !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Thank you R. M. Great information.

One other to know, men have more narrow heels and wider feet than women. Consequently, I am a 7 1/2 Medium in Men's shoes and a 9 1/2 wide in Women's though I can also comfortably fit into 10 Medium women's, but nearly all of my shoes from the women's department have heel pads to help keep them on.

When wearing high heels good posture is essential. Anyone who's had serious dance lessons will think of it as perfect alignment. When walking in heels try to land your feet as close to flat as possible. Only someone with the sure footedness of a mountain goat can successfully walk heel-toe in high heeled stilettos!

Or as our lady friends have been telling us our whole lives, looking stylish and attractive is hard work!

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Like others on the forum, I started out on 2" heels then graduated to 3" then 4" heels. The 4" heels are stiletto court shoes with a 3/8" platform. I always wear tights (pantyhose). I find that even though the stilettos are a good fit around my heels, I have to watch not to walk out of them forwards and I have to be careful of my balance on the thin heels so I only wear those occasionally.

My normal wear with skirts and kilts have 3 1/2" block heels with straps. One pair has pointed toes with a wide strap. The front part of the shoe looks like a formal, court shoe. My other main pair are Mary Janes with a rounded toe and a narrower strap.
I find it easy to walk and drive in both of the pairs of block-heeled shoes. The straps stop me walking out of the shoes and make sure that they stay on my feet when stepping off escalators such as the ones in the malls in my city's centre. :wink: :)
Last edited by shadowfax on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Those of you who aren't fans of stiletto (back in the day they were called spike) heels might like Naturalizers. They're more expensive than Payless, et al. because they're quality shoes and have nicely shaped heels with generous heel pads.

If, like Shadowfax, you like ankle straps, consider this. Of all of my pairs of shoes, I've got about 2 dozen plus knee boots and sandals, the pair that has gotten me the most compliments and are one of my most comfortable are my black, Naturalizer T-straps with, I think, 2 1/2 inch heels. Naturalizer has a chain of outlet stores and a website so you should be able to get some stylish, comfortable, easy to walk in shoes without breaking the bank.

shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Reaching the top shelf

Post by shadowfax »

One advantage of succumbing to half-inch-itis, is that I can now reach the top shelf at the supermarket when I'm wearing my 3 1/2" heels.
The other day, a lady alongside me at the supermarket, couldn't reach an item on the top shelf so I did the gentlemanly thing and asked if she needed help. She was glad of my assistance. :)
Doing my bit for male skirt and kilt wearer's reputations. :wink:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hi Daryl,
Going downstairs takes more finesse than going up because as you said your weight's on the balls of your feet. The trick is to turn your ankle or your body so your feet are sideways along the stair and across your direction of travel.

As to your original question, shortly after I started wearing skirts and dresses in public, I realized men's shoes wouldn't cut it because of their style. I thought I would draw the line on high heels so I looked for stacked heels, maybe 2, 2 1/2 inches tall. It didn't take long before the height restrictions were gone and then the style. I found even with a 1" platform sole, 4" heels are a challenge to move around in. My latest pair of stilettos might be 4" but I can't resist the color and style and the ankle strap probably helps.

Naturalizers generally have bigger heel pads so they're much easier to maintain your balance in and they're designed to not only be stylish, but comfortable. Of all my shoes, I get the most compliments on my Naturalizer T-straps. They cost a little more, but they're worth it!

No matter what I wear people call me "Sir." With all due respect.
I'm pretty sure I'll be following a similar path and at least trying a few things I wouldn't have given serious consideration to before.

I've done the sideways stair walk even due to wearing a pencil skirt so that will come naturally I am sure.
Daryl...