Centaurs and Mermaids

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Centaurs and Mermaids

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:[It is worth noting that Lady Landra is a female centaur ........................
who has horns and wears a bra type upper garment and anther garment worn like a sporran.
Anatomically speaking, assuming that such mythical beasties ever existed, that'd be a purse or large locket hung 'round her neck...
I suppose that If we were to take this thread more literally , then perhaps "Men in Skirts " would wear
two pairs of horse shoes .....................weeladdie
How do centaurs perform anything that requires dexterity? Their arms have become legs and their hands their front hooves. (Unless, of course, it's all done magically.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:How do centaurs perform anything that requires dexterity? Their arms have become legs and their hands their front hooves. (Unless, of course, it's all done magically.)
They have the whole upper body of a human that includes arms and hands. The lower half of their bodies are that of a horse with four legs and hooves. So they can use tools and weapons. Some are pictures with horns some are not. It can be either way as they are figments of the imagination any way. :hide: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, you mean centaurs don't exist? Just because I've never met one doesn't mean that there aren't any. I've never met a duck billed platypus either and that doesn't mean they don;t exist. Go on. You'll be telling me that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy don't exist either. :roll:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:[Centaurs] have the whole upper body of a human that includes arms and hands. The lower half of their bodies are that of a horse with four legs and hooves. So they can use tools and weapons.
I believe I need to check my mythical bestiary and verify that as you may very well be right. (Note: This will not be the first time I've been wrong.)
It can be either way as they are figments of the imagination any way. :hide: :rofl:
Sad as that may be. I enjoy flights of fancy and mythology in general.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:Fred, you mean centaurs don't exist? Just because I've never met one doesn't mean that there aren't any. I've never met a duck billed platypus either and that doesn't mean they don;t exist. Go on. You'll be telling me that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy don't exist either. :roll:
The Easter Bunny just told me that the Tooth Fairy has been extracted because he was keeping the money intended for the children. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Daryl wrote:It occurred to me that there is something about the top-bottom division that is ingrained into our eyeballs or visual cortex or whatever, and that this is why I can wear a fairly femme skirt and a fairly masc top and not experience or cause all that much cognitive dissonance.
That seems to be a delightfully literate justification for my long adhered to maxim: , Skirts and shirts, blouses and trousers.

The other combinations I find are either too boringly masculine or too feminine.

Thank you Daryl

Derek
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, which Easter Bunny was that? There are so many of them nowadays. :D And yes, a centaur is the upper half of a man and the lower half of a horse.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

weeladdie18 wrote:My claim is that I can wear this style of footwear without crossing the isle and looking feminine.
You don't have to cross a whole isle to look feminine. Just cross the aisle in your department store of choice.

I hope that helps.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Derek Plattis wrote:
Daryl wrote:It occurred to me that there is something about the top-bottom division that is ingrained into our eyeballs or visual cortex or whatever, and that this is why I can wear a fairly femme skirt and a fairly masc top and not experience or cause all that much cognitive dissonance.
That seems to be a delightfully literate justification for my long adhered to maxim: , Skirts and shirts, blouses and trousers.
The other combinations I find are either too boringly masculine or too feminine.
Skirts n shirts, blous n trous.

I can definitely see that maxim working, though not for me since I've stopped wearing pants most of the time and when I do it's almost always for the social comfort of people in their nineties.
Daryl...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I always thought it was the Minotaur that had horns.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...