Skirters in the Music Industry

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Skirters in the Music Industry

Post by FranTastic444 »

Prompted by Moonshadow's post on the 'featured song' thread (and the mention of the group James), I thought I'd start a list of skirters in the music industry (apologies in advance if this has been done before).

Robbie Williams of Take That and solo fame

Andy Diagram of James

Brian Molko of Placebo

Any others???
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirters in the Music Industry

Post by rivegauche »

Robbie Williams once performed on Top of the Pops in a dress.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Christopher Owens of Girls. Never heard of him, but this cool image crops up on Instagram periodically. I think this was a one-off. Can't find any other photos

Ezra Furman , on the other hand, does many of his gigs skirted. Really like some of his looks - though I think I'm too old to try to copy :-) I also like some of his music.
Jean Suifou

Post by Jean Suifou »

The Bass player of Kyo in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_TQcyGkvY
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hey, this is cool! In the 70's and 80's male musicians made long hair a "thing" acceptable by society... maybe in a few decades skirts on guys won't be such a show stopper..?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Jean Suifou wrote:The Bass player of Kyo in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_TQcyGkvY
Florian Dubos - looks like a bit of a one-off. I can't find any pictures of him skirted. Which got me thinking - if we include one-off episodes of blatant skirting.....
Freddie Mercury in the video for I Want To Break Free (maybe this should be a skirting anthem :-) )
Learning to Fly video with Dave Grohl
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Interesting, FT, as this picture was the inspiration for my starting to wear a skirt. One New Year's Eve party I dressed up like FM and realised how comfortable the skirt was. The rest is history.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

moonshadow wrote:Hey, this is cool! In the 70's and 80's male musicians made long hair a "thing" acceptable by society... maybe in a few decades skirts on guys won't be such a show stopper..?
Let us hope :-)

Dennis - I remember the video as a mid teen, but I would have sworn that Freddie Mercury was the only one dressed in a skirt (shows how poor my memory is). Turns out that all the band members were dressed that way and were playing female characters from Coronation St!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, they all were dressed as women, loosely based on Coronation Street [0] characters. I thought that Roger Taylor as the schoolgirl in pigtails was the most convincing and in complete contrast to the others who weren't and weren't meant to be. I dressed as Freddie, as best as I could anyway.

[0] Coronation Street was a gritty, down-to-earth English soap, first aired in the early sixties, and based around the Manchester area. It's signature tune is so distinctive and suits the programme. My mother was an avid watcher and as such, I wasn't and never have been a fan of these type of "real life" soaps. Too damn depressing and concentration on the baser and worst sides of life and relationships.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

"was"? For a moment you had me thinking it has ended and I missed that news. A quick Google tells me that it's still running.

You can tell I'm not it's biggest fan.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Spandau Ballet
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

The sadly missed, David Bowie
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

David Byrne
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith fame.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Even though it is still running, I used the past tense about Coronation Street because in its early days, according to my mum who was a big fan, it was gritty and entertaining. Now, like the other soaps, Eastenders, Emmerdale, and others the storylines encompass what is the worst aspects of human relationships in the need for sensationalism. So yes, it apparently was a ground-breaking entertainment that now wallows in the worst.