What to Search For - Dress Like a Long Collared T-Shirt

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

What to Search For - Dress Like a Long Collared T-Shirt

Post by FranTastic444 »

Round-neck and vee-neck really doesn't work for me - pretty much everything I own (in my male wardrobe) has a collar.

I've seen women wear what looks like a collared tee-shirt - the sort of thing you might wear for playing golf for example - but longer so as to form a dress.

If I were to look for something like that on Amazon, what should I search for? Collared dresses tend to bring up something that isn't quite what I want (I don't want what I think is called a Peter Pan contrasting collar).
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: What to Search For - Dress Like a Long Collared T-Shirt

Post by crfriend »

Perhaps "polo-dress" or something of the ilk. What you're describing sounds very much like a shirtdress with a polo-style bodice instead of a conventional shirt-style bodice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

amazon "naafii womens roll up sleeves If you want an Idea go to All dressed up on the café Jan and feb 4 2018 There are also some earlier ones with collars if you want info just ask
also musiol vintage navy style
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Behold, the Fred Perry polo shirt dress. The bad news is it runs over $130 on Amazon. Also, it only goes up to a size 10. If they start making them in a size 22, I'll take another look.
The good news is, as others have pointed out searching for "shirt dress" or "shirtdress" should turn up what you want. Personally I like the Peter Pan collar, but in my mind I live in the 1950s (or sometimes the 1880s depending on my mood).

Here's the expensive Fred Perry: https://www.amazon.com/Fred-Perry-Women ... 06WW1BFL4/

Here's a general ebay search for shirtdresses. I filtered on knee-length or longer just because anything shorter looks like... well, a regular shirt... but you can decide for yourself how short is too short.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1 ... idi%7CLong
Ralph!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Don't think it will get you "exactly" what you want, but try "golf dress"

Amazon's search function sucks, as does eBay.

Also have a look at eshakti, some of their stuff may suit, and they can custom fit it for you.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Awhile back you might find something like that at a beach wear shop - a cover-up "T" shirt usually with a screen print.
I have one from '87 with Hawaii screen printed on the front with typical crew neck collar. Hem breaks at mid-thigh for the perfect cover-up.

I like the image above with the contrasting polo shirt collar - sharp design but as noted sadly the size is not for Omar the tent maker.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote:...I've seen women wear what looks like a collared tee-shirt - the sort of thing you might wear for playing golf for example - but longer so as to form a dress.

If I were to look for something like that on Amazon, what should I search for?...
Try "polo dress women" and then use the choices at the right of the page to close in further.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Macy's on line has a Tommy Hilfiger polo dress on sale $36.00
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the answer is to wear a Male shirt in your size and a skirt to match.............a Male shirt is possibly a better fit on the male form.
Perhaps the skirt should have an elasticated or tie waist....This type of skirt works well for me.............weeladdie
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the answer is to wear a Male shirt in your size and a skirt to match.............a Male shirt is possibly a better fit on the male form.
Perhaps the skirt should have an elasticated or tie waist....This type of skirt works well for me.............weeladdie
Hi weeladdie. That is exactly my current (pretty much only) look. I'm dressed that was as I sit here typing. Project loose weight is going badly - I blame a good run in the footie by England - I'm eating and drinking out every time they play. I also managed to hurt my knee when descending Loughrigg when on holiday in the Lake District a few weeks ago, and this has prevented me from cycling to work. I think I've managed just one or two days in the last 6 weeks or so :( No way I could wear a dress like this with my current protruding moobs and belly :D
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Try Land's End. And with a bit of luck, they'll be selling summer lines off cheaply already.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the answer is to wear a Male shirt in your size and a skirt to match.............a Male shirt is possibly a better fit on the male form.
Jack Williams, sadly no longer with us, used to sew a skirt on to the hem of a man's T-shirt and dye the resulting dress to get the two halves to co-ordinate. Have a look at his pics & looks thread "Jack Track".
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One advantage of the Male Shirt and skirt mix, is that the male shirt can be changed ever day......weeladdie
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

So @FranTastic444, did you ever find something that met your needs?
Ralph!