Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Again, I only skimmed the last page of these comments so I'll apologize in advance for whatever redundancy I'm committing here.

When I was a kid it was a common insult to say the other person's grandmother wore combat boots. I took it to mean she had poor taste and was clueless. I would no more wear shoes, boots, whatever from the Men's Department than go out naked! And by this time it's not from lack of experience. There's a certain look to a dress and either you carry it off or you don't. Any fashion authority will tell you it's all in the accessories starting with the shoes. So, if you want to wear a dress or a nice skirt and blouse and look good in it, I suggest you find shoes that go with the outfit and they're almost never in the Men's Dept.

Raymond Loewy is a legendary industrial designer. Among his innovations, and they were myriad, was the streamlined railroad train. Not just locomotive, the whole train. One of his principles for introducing a new look was to make sure that its newness was leavened with familiarity. He achieved that with his streamlined trains by showing models and drawings of proposed streamlined trains for years before actually introducing one. For other products, he made sure that his revolutionary looks included familiar elements for such products. His studio designed the Avaanti. It looked like a car of its period, but it also looked like nothing else before or since especially with the asymmetric elements of the front deck.

So, if your goal is to gain acceptance for yourself and for the very idea of men wearing dresses, wear the whole look; dress or skirt and blouse, shoes, scarves, jewelry, etc. If you're worried that you might be mistaken for a woman, either genetic or in transition, don't be. At this point when I get dressed up to go out, everything I wear from the skin out came from the women's department. As did my jewelry, except my watches and rings. I even wear earrings and makeup. And everyone calls me, "Sir."

They also tell me, as a beautiful, petite, blonde, 20-something did today, "You look great today!" Her smile said she definitely meant it!

If you goal is to simply please yourself and maximize your own comfort, then take Kilted John's path. I'm sure it's a lot less work for him to get dressed in the morning than it is for me. It is indeed a free country! And plenty of people will admire and compliment you for exercising your freedom to wear what you darned well please, whichever approach you take!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Excellent, Pdx! I fully agree with everything you said. I take my fashion freestyling VERY seriously because I want to look my best while out in public. I take the time and effort (as much as an hour before I go out) to put together outfits, making sure I properly pair up tops and skirts or dresses, taking colors, styles and patterns into account, and how the outfit I assemble matches with the shoes I choose to wear. When it comes to shoes which are an mportant component to the outfit, it’s important to decide what style: heels, flats, pumps, sandals or boots (knee high or ankle high) in fall and winter.

And it’s not just the clothes, you have to take accessories into consideration as well. When you wear skirts or dresses, pockets are small to nonexistent, so a handbag is vital. It can be a small size bag, a medium bag or a large satchel depending on the outing you’ll be on and how much you plan to put in your bag. As to whether or not the bag should match the color of your shoes, fashion experts (and I do keep up with fashion trends as best I can) say that’s no longer the dreaded faux pas it used to be, but I tend to be anal, so I do color coordinate my bag and shoes, something I see as important.

Then there’s jewelry. I’m something of a latecomer to jewelry, but I’ve embraced it fully. I began with necklaces and pendants of various lengths, I even have a strand of pearls for fancier outfits and/or outings. Next are earrings, I never leave the house on outings without wearing earrings (clip-on) because I like how they look on me and perfectly top off an ensemble. To me, being a fashion freestyler isn’t about wearing just one article of clothing from the women’s side of the store, but the ENTIRE outfit, shoes, accessories, jewelry, the whole nine yards, and I’m obsessed with that.

Now, I’ve never been called “Ma’am” or “Miss” while out and about, and I’m perfectly fine with that. I don’t pretend to be anything more than simply a man in women’s clothing, if that makes me a crossdresser, that’s no big deal either as I don’t pay any attention to labels. By being determined with looking my best, I’m accepted for my presentation and treated just like everyone else, and that’s good enough for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

At the end of a working day I liked to wash my hands and change out my working clothes....I consider pulling on a skirt is a good way to cool down
and relax after a hard working day......I found a nice shift dress today in a charity shop....Ideal for me to wear with my Knee Length cardigan and a
pair of Roman Soldiers Style Sandles.....There was something about the pattern on the hem which made the dress look Romanesque.
I wore the garment out of the Charity shop.
This was only the second time | have been out on the street wearing a dress....I find there are only some styles of skirts and dresses which I consider
are acceptable for me to wear........I find my Scottish Drovers Style Sporran worn on a heavy leather waist belt makes me look Male......weeladdie
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Wore a dress in public today... FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!! Finally decided to give it a try after skirting has become so normal and everyday. There was a little psychological hangup with the idea of wearing a dress... but you know what? Wearing a dress is pretty much like wearing a skirt!

For my "gateway" garment entering the world of dresses, I chose a plain denim shirt-dress of midi length (https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-33781 ... -dress.jsp) It's very serviceable and has instantly become part of my everyday wardrobe. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it almost all places I wear skirts. It even has two pockets, which is always a plus.

My outing consisted of going to the post office and the bank, seeing some folks I know in a historical society office, and eating lunch in a general store. All very fun and positive, and I got one really nice compliment. A win!

My skirting started with plain skirts and ventured way into the feminine. I'm not sure yet how or when I'll do the same with dresses. Right now I don't feel too comfortable with the idea of wearing a girly dress (for example sleeveless, lacy, low-cut, flowy, or frilly). Time will tell...

------Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Wore a dress in public today... FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!
Welcome to a wider world, Henry.

Dresses are kind of fun, and at least amongst friends mine is tolerated well by most and really liked by a few. Like you, I chose a shirtdress as my initial foray (albeit I had one made to spec.) and I have another of a different style on order. They're not going to replace skirts, but rather augment the choices available.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Congrats on taking the plunge, STI. It seems to have gone very well.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello STI,

A morsel for thought, a year or two ago, one of the high line fashion designers showed sheathes (simple, straight, sleeveless dresses, usually a boatneck or "necklace" neckline) for men. The review I read was by a woman who opined that sheathes were the perfect style for men because they show off what she felt are typically our best and most masculine features: shoulders, biceps and calves. It confirmed my preferences, they're one of the most common styles in my closet.

Try one on in a thrift store before you categorically write them off.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It occurred to me that, aesthetically, a tent dress or a trapeze dress might work on a man. Being quite loose, the obvious time to wear such a garment would be the hottest days of summer.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

PDX and Grok, I appreciate the input. Skirting had its own learning curve, finding out about godet, A-line, tiered, etc. types... I have thus far never considered types or styles of dresses. Never knew what a trapeze dress was until I just looked it up! PDX, I've admired your style in various posted pictures.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Skirting The Issue, I made an improvised shirt-dress. In a thrift store I found a man's shirt several sizes too large for me (to wear as a shirt). Basically I sewed the lower portion of the shirt shut; it's too short to wear out and about, but good as a house dress.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

skirtingtheissue wrote: Skirting had its own learning curve, finding out about godet, A-line, tiered, etc. types... I have thus far never considered types or styles of dresses.
When we were kids we weren't supposed to be interested in skirts/dresses. It was twin-tubes for the rest of our lives, so we didn't learn the terminology.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Thank you Henry.

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Grok wrote:Skirting The Issue, I made an improvised shirt-dress. In a thrift store I found a man's shirt several sizes too large for me (to wear as a shirt). Basically I sewed the lower portion of the shirt shut; it's too short to wear out and about, but good as a house dress.
On its own it may be too short but try it with a pair of matching or dark colored tights.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Or with leggings.

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Went out to run some errands , I hate it when it get dark so early Had to stop at the bank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.