When will men wear women's clothing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

When will men wear women's clothing...

Post by jamodu »

I discovered this topic of conversation on Quora, and thought others here might appreciate it...

https://www.quora.com/When-will-men-wea ... hing-today
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Post by SkirtsDad »

Really good article.... but then I probably would say that as it reflects how I think lol. It will probably happen when men stop trying to cling to power.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Women don't generally wear "men's clothes". They wear feminine versions of traditionally male designs.

I personally don't want to wear women's clothes, but since nearly no one makes men's skirts, or if they do they charge a ridiculous amount. We are stuck with kilts or shopping across the aisle. I find most womens clothes ridiculous, cheap and flimsy. I like to wash everything in hot water, dry on high heat, I have accidentally wrecked some of my wife's things that way. been in the doghouse several times for that. Every now and then I find a easy care practical diamond in the rough.That's the curse and blessing of skirt shopping, I may find only 1 in a 150 or more that I like and that fits. And don't dare try to find a second one just like it.

Mishawaka. The more I wear kilts and skirts, the more I hate trousers.
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
gudulitooo

Post by gudulitooo »

There are Youtube tutos about it

"HOW MEN CAN WEAR "WOMEN'S CLOTHING""
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmSHiBJJsU

Maybe dedicated to young people and for decontracted venues, but nice.

Also there are some 1st april like links suggested by Youtube next to this video, I have yet to have a look at them..
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All,
With a very few exceptions and semantics, there is no such thing as MALE or FEMALE clothing.
A reconstructed piece of inanimate fabric cannot have gender!
I wear my clothes, how they are perceived is not my problem.
Steve.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

STEVIE wrote:Hi All,
With a very few exceptions and semantics, there is no such thing as MALE or FEMALE clothing.
A reconstructed piece of inanimate fabric cannot have gender!
I wear my clothes, how they are perceived is not my problem.
Steve.
That is really the point... the article is about how clothes are marketed, not what they are. Therefore you can best read it as when will mean wear clothes currently marketed for women. That is why they talk about selling boy shorts, etc. to women. The reverse is still a long way off... can you imagine anyone marketing to men 'girlfriend's knickers'? There may be a market, but I'm not sure how many would admit to it lol.

When it comes to clothing, I am the same as you... I wear clothes. What I wear is perceived differently by different people but those perceptions do not usually correlate with my reality.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

SkirtsDad wrote:That is why they talk about selling boy shorts, etc. to women. The reverse is still a long way off... can you imagine anyone marketing to men 'girlfriend's knickers'? There may be a market, but I'm not sure how many would admit to it lol.
It is even more strange that most men and boy's are reluctant to wear "boy shorts".
SkirtsDad wrote:When it comes to clothing, I am the same as you... I wear clothes. What I wear is perceived differently by different people but those perceptions do not usually correlate with my reality.
I think that is the key to the whole conversation; let us all ignore the labelling and create our own personal styles. We will never wear women's clothing; we will just wear our own.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.
I have 1 red dress with a hemline made from lace, wich is my favorite.

Ontopic: I wear a skirt every day :mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Rokje wrote:Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.

Oh, you've always been able to get it, the problem is usually the cost. Versace do some for £50!! https://www.farfetch.com/uk/shopping/me ... 11l4JISPXX

I was able to buy black lacy underwear for men 20 years ago for a very reasonable price but the label is too faded now to say what make it is.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have to "cross the aisle" to get 40DD bras which I wear for support. Last time I went to Walmart I didn't see any in the men's section. :lol:

I however don't go for lacy underwear. My bras are plain and I wear Hanes men's briefs.

In my book underwear is something that is functional, not meant to be decorative.
Last edited by JohnH on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

SkirtsDad wrote:
Rokje wrote:Ok, when there is a brand that makes underwear for us men with lace on it like the ladies have, I will be their first customer.
Oh, you've always been able to get it, the problem is usually the cost. Versace do some for £50!! https://www.farfetch.com/uk/shopping/me ... 11l4JISPXX

I was able to buy black lacy underwear for men 20 years ago for a very reasonable price but the label is too faded now to say what make it is.

Maybe it was from Victoria's Secret but certainly not from Fredericks of Hollywood unless Fred had a UK store.
Does this faded label have a size number or designation ?
I don't know what came first the chicken or the egg;
but as for sizing by number or letter there had to be a starting measuring point - I don't think that one size fit all.

One thing for sure the unmentionables were unmentionable even in the good book - about as far as one can tell the
loin cloth was the fashion of biblical times for undergarments but even that is a wild guess.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

The only way I could wear womens clothing is if I stole some clothing from a woman. Anything I buy and wear is my clothing.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:Guys, can we let the topic of underwear drop please?
Seconded :D
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
Seconded :D
Thirded! :rofl: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.