Men in skirts and dresses in our culture...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Orca

Re: Men in skirts and dresses in our culture...

Post by Orca »

Magnus Robot Fighter 01 - 00 - FC.jpg
one of my childhood heroes, A fighting man wearing a skirted outfit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swim Well, Brother!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

.... and it's as short as her dress! And there's moans about men wearing short skirts!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Then there was the unisex Star Fleet uniform from ST:TNG's first season...

Ralph!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Don't forget the Star Trek SKANT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Santa's elves wear dresses...

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, the dress I wore last Saturday was similar to that only longer and one half was red and the other green.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

What a cool thread!!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We're right back to Robin Hood.

I can't find the pic. of it right now, but when I was 15, for a fancy dress parade at a local fete my mother hired a Robin Hood outfit for me which had a short tunic belted at the waist, the bit below the belt being short miniskirt-length. This was worn over thick green tights. Little hat, bow & arrows quiver over my shoulder completed the outfit. Take away the bow & arrows and change the hat & I could have passed as Peter Pan! Yonks ago I did post that pic. on here.

In that last 'Santa' pic. the bloke? on the left looks like 'he's' wearing skinny jeans under that red tunic. Cancels it ll out, don't you think?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:.... and it's as short as her dress! And there's moans about men wearing short skirts!
Moans about women wearing short skirts, too. I'm old enough to remember when the miniskirt was controversial, and it was very controversial. Modern dress codes for women usually include how short is too short.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Orca wrote:
Magnus Robot Fighter 01 - 00 - FC.jpg
one of my childhood heroes, A fighting man wearing a skirted outfit
Mine too! Loved the series but sadly didn't have the foresight to save them.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Captain Zap Brannigan in Futurama

Daryl...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Kirbstone wrote:We're right back to Robin Hood.

Tom
I remember several TV series about Robin Hood (plus the Mel Brooks Robin Hood: Men in Tights). Interestingly, the earlier versions (in the days when you'd expect dress codes to be more rigorously enforced), Robin & co. really did wear tights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adven ... ,_1958.jpg

But in the more recent version on British TV in 2006, there is a distinct move towards trousers (mostly leather of some sort), for example,
this image of Much. http://www.tv.com/shows/robin-hood/phot ... mage-34#34

You'll even see this as far back as the movie A Knight's Tale http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183790/. (See the scene where they make an outfit from the green floral fabric of the tent).

How come, with supposedly increasing freedom of expression, the mass media are actually becoming more restrictive in their portrayal of men?

Steve
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Daryl, never moaned about women wearing miniskirts although there was controversy at the time. I remember in the mid-sixties sitting at lunchtimes on the Grammar School I attended watching all the girls walk up to the Technical and Secretarial Colleges in their miniskirts. But then I was in my early teens and thus easily excited. Interestingly one of the girls was probably my future wife although we didn't remember seeing each other and didn't meet until years later. :)

Now I even see older women wearing them and, in the most part, they look good in them.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:Daryl, never moaned about women wearing miniskirts although there was controversy at the time. I remember in the mid-sixties sitting at lunchtimes on the Grammar School I attended watching all the girls walk up to the Technical and Secretarial Colleges in their miniskirts. But then I was in my early teens and thus easily excited. Interestingly one of the girls was probably my future wife although we didn't remember seeing each other and didn't meet until years later. :)

Now I even see older women wearing them and, in the most part, they look good in them.
Yup, I watched the girls in miniskirts and got excited too, and guess what, that is why they wore them.
Daryl...
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

It is a shame that women don't seem to wear them anymore. At least i don't see them anymore, because all the women wear pants now a days.

In the Netherlands there is the annual skirtday (Not on a special date) when temperature rises above 20 C for the first time. They mention it at the weather forecast. Once a time the presentor was wearing a skirt while presenting the weather forecast.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)