Men in skirts and dresses in our culture...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Men in skirts and dresses in our culture...

Post by moonshadow »

I'd like to extend a little challenge (game) for us members here...

We've all had experiences where we're told, or at least have read on numerous occasions that skirts and other such garments are NOT for men under any circumstances. However on the other hand, it's important to remember that there are countless images and examples of men wearing skirts, dresses, tunics, robes, etc everywhere in our culture...

I invite any member here to share or upload a photo of men wearing skirts, or other unbirucated garments that has become a part of our ACCEPTED culture...

The idea here is the photo needs to be "common", something that we all see all the time, nothing of a "novelty" sort or unusual, with the "name of the game" to illustrate how men wearing skirts, or skirt like garments really isn't such a brain buster after all!

I'll go first to set the trend:

Men in mini-dresses unite! Adam... is that you?? :P
(He also appears to keep his legs... "greenly shaved!" :lol:

Got a prescription you need filled?? I notice how both characters have garments with an open shoulder... 80's anyone?? :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men in skirts and dresses in our culture...

Post by mishawakaskirt »

images-31.jpeg
Ok moon, here is a couple I could find.

And another.
images-24.jpeg
I'm Not sure if this proves anything exactly. Like women, cartoon characters are exempt to standard clothing rules.
If you think about it how many cartoon characters are partly nude or completly nude.

GAHHH! My eyes can't take it seeing pastey white thighs and doughy mid section. :lol:
images-22.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I guess I would wear leggings too if I could fly

Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Michael Blanc and Alto Saotome from Macross Frontier, both wearing yukata:
らき☆
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

great photos > I llike the one with the movie star holding the pole , the green giant ain't bad either. but unfortunately I think i come closer to Homer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:great photos > I llike the one with the movie star holding the pole , the green giant ain't bad either. but unfortunately I think i come closer to Homer :lol: :lol: :lol:
D'OH!!
Me too!! I have worn a MUMU or what ever they are called around the house before, even way back when I was married. It was usually in the summer just after taking a shower. So I was not running around naked. :pukel: :woops:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Flintstones. Unisex animalskins
images-24.jpeg
I got to thinking earlier the exclusively skirts/dresses are for women only. Is imprinted in us beginning at childhood look at a majority of cartoon characters. A skirt or dress is what makes them the female. Mickey and Minnie. Alvin and the chipmunks/ chipettes etc. Girl / skirt guy/ pants there are a few exceptions in cantoons but not many.
Check out the picture of Mickey and Minnie. Eyelashes, a bow, and dress. Otherwise they are drawn with the same features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Flintstones. Unisex animalskins
images-24.jpeg
A skirt or dress is what makes them the female. Girl / skirt guy/ pants there are a few exceptions in cantoons but not many.
Which, ironically, makes these cartoons seem out dated. In real life most females now wear trousers most of/or nearly all the time.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Seen in the walls of Pierrefond Castle: https://www.eupedia.com/france/pierrefonds.shtml
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Milhouse: "I guess I picked the wrong day to wear culottes!" [because they were playing a game at school that involved crawling between each other's legs]
Bart: "Every day is the wrong day to wear culottes."

Bart hasn't always been so narrow-minded. In an earlier season he had to borrow Lisa's socks for school because he was out of clean socks of his own.
Homer: "But how do you explain the culottes?"
Bart: "I had to coordinate, didn't I?"

That being said, both of these images look more like s regular skirt than culottes, which are bifurcated. Simpsons writers didn't do their homework!
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

But the trouble is, from my pov, if you show anything from a former time, as in like Greeks or Romans, or other places in the world, as in like India or South Seas Islands, then MOH would say that that was appropriate for then or that place but it's not appropriate for the here and now. She also says that when she sees other men walking around the streets of York in dresses and skirts then she will rethink. But how will you see other men in skirts on the streets of York unless someone shows that it can be done and be acceptable. I have heard from someone I have known for a few years and is in the same age bracket as my children that he knows some other men that wear skirts on occasion. As has been said cartoons are a special case and conventional rules don't apply.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:MOH... says that when she sees other men walking around the streets of York in dresses and skirts then she will rethink. But how will you see other men in skirts on the streets of York unless someone shows that it can be done and be acceptable.
OK guys, trip to York! Meet outside Sinned's house.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

skirtyscot wrote:
Sinned wrote:MOH... says that when she sees other men walking around the streets of York in dresses and skirts then she will rethink. But how will you see other men in skirts on the streets of York unless someone shows that it can be done and be acceptable.
OK guys, trip to York! Meet outside Sinned's house.
I'll come! York is only an hour and a half drive from me. I might be able to persuade my wife to come too.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

I'll probably be in York again next year - will post dates once I know for sure.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia