What to wear to your wedding

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

What to wear to your wedding

Post by Wonderful Electric »

For those that had the opportunity, what did you get married in? My wife and I are going to the city hall next month and she’s wearing a traditional white wedding dress. She is fine with me wearing a skirts on a day to day basis. For our city hall wedding, we picked out slacks and a jacket for me that are from womenswear. Traditional with a feminine twist. It also fits my small frame much better. I’m too poor to go to a proper tailor. With the makeshift “suit,” we both felt it was appropriate but it airs on the side of a compromise. It would be great to be married in a skirt but O don’t know what that would look like. I don’t want to be married in a kilt, but I know some men do that and it’s totally normal.

Just wondering if anyone here had some non traditional arrangements on their wedding day.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What to wear to your wedding

Post by Stevie D »

I'm sure I posted this photo on here many years ago, but here it is again in response to this new thread. My wife and I had been together for 14 years before we actually got around to getting married, but we have never once regretted our formal commitment to each other. This year saw our 12th anniversary.

We had two ceremonies. The first, which was by far the more meaningful, was a medieval-style handfasting which we held at full moon very close to the Summer Solstice in a special place we'd discovered in some woodland local to us. Three days later we made it legal according to English law in a register office ceremony in our town hall. We wore the same clothes for both occasions. See photo. My outfit was a simple 'robe', but actually a loose flowing dress, and my wife's - well, you can see. Both designs were based on medieval costume and made for us by a friend-of-a-frend who was a dressmaker.

Incidentally, I'm on the right in case there is any confusion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Great photo, Stevie. I remember when you first put this up.

I got married in a kilt suit - the one that Stevie kindly posted for me. That was my second marriage (still going strong!). At my first wedding I again wore a kilt, but the more traditional variety, with Prince Charlie jacket and ghillie brogues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That is impressively nonconformist, Stevie! Ten out of ten!

What did your guests make of it?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stevie D wrote:I'm sure I posted this photo on here many years ago, but here it is again in response to this new thread.
You did, and it remains one of the most memorable photos posted here. I recall when you first put it up and I just went, "WOW!". It's an awe-inspiring image.
My wife and I had been together for 14 years before we actually got around to getting married, but we have never once regretted our formal commitment to each other. This year saw our 12th anniversary.
May you enjoy many, many more!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Thanks, Ray, Alistair and Carl for the nice comments. We had a lovely day and it still shines brightly in our memories.
skirtyscot wrote: What did your guests make of it?
They all had a lovely day too and were quite prepared for an occasion a little out of the ordinary, for that is the sort of people we are and our family and friends are pretty much like that too. We'd asked everyone to wear coloured clothes and to carry or wear flowers and so they did, bless them Not one suit and tie to be seen!

The photo was taken in a rather overgrown formal garden in a nearby park. The edge of the woodland can be seen in the background. Our actual handfasting took place in this woodland about 500 m away in a little steep-sided valley in a glade next to a fast-flowing stream. It could only be reached on foot by a winding footpath. Our friend Sarah who is sitting in front of me in the photo holding my hand, had previously decorated the trees and branches with candles, lanterns, tapestries, ribbons and feathers. Afterwards, another guest said that it felt like they had stepped into Rivendell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

looks nice
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Absolutely wonderful, Stevie! How lucky you are to have such a beautiful wedding!