How to deal with womens blouses (because we men are too tall

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whorton

How to deal with womens blouses (because we men are too tall

Post by whorton »

AS most of us are aware, womens blouses are typically about 1/4 to short, wearing blouses is getting the "Short Shrift" if you will.

I have several cute blouses and most all have the same problem.

How do you deal with the unbloused lower middle when wearing jeans, tight skirts or even Skorts? All thoughts welcome!

My ideas tend towards wearing a dark leotard or high waisted jeans. . .
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How to deal with womens blouses (because we men are too

Post by SkirtsDad »

whorton wrote:AS most of us are aware, womens blouses are typically about 1/4 to short, wearing blouses is getting the "Short Shrift" if you will.

I have several cute blouses and most all have the same problem.

How do you deal with the unbloused lower middle when wearing jeans, tight skirts or even Skorts? All thoughts welcome!

My ideas tend towards wearing a dark leotard or high waisted jeans. . .

Firstly, I would say, shop around. Not all makes and style come up that short, although you might not find them the length that you will get a formal shirt with tail that needs to be tucked in. Where the top of blouse does come up short then high waist jeans, leggings or skirt is certainly an option that I've gone for and works well.

Is it always necessary to cover up? Occasionally I don't mind to showing a bit of midriff - in any case it shows off my piercing. Just depends on the environment really, I think.

If you have a top that is just about long enough but rides up then a wide elasticated belt might help.

Other than a leotard, a spaghetti strap top, camisole of similar should do the job as these tend to be fairly long.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

whorton wrote:AS most of us are aware, womens blouses are typically about 1/4 to short, wearing blouses is getting the "Short Shrift" if you will.
This is mostly down to selecting blouses that are long enough in the torso to fit, and many are. I've got a few outright blouses and all are long enough for me to tuck in, and I'm over 6' tall and don't wear stuff particularly high on my waist.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I shifted to wearing all made for women shirts & blouses the last couple of years I was working due to more selection of colors and fabrics. My chief concern was finding them with big enough collars to work with a tie since I was a suit and tie kind of guy.
I'm not too tall - my driver's license says 5'9", though that dates back to when I was 16, and my doctor's office measures me at 5'8". I bought all my shirts/blouses from Lands' End because I know how they fit. Some were regular and some were tall which are longer in the body and sleeve.

By-the-way, I'm still trying to figure out why they call some garments shirts and others blouses. I was thinking at one time it was because a blouse didn't have a collar button to close the collar, but that doesn't seem to be true. At lease not at Lands' End. :?
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirted_in_SF wrote:By-the-way, I'm still trying to figure out why they call some garments shirts and others blouses.
Check for tails for tucking in. My understanding is that on a blouse the hem is either straight or very close to; shirts have distinct "tails" to keep them tucked in (which usually don't work as designed).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I often wear blouses: when buying, the manufacturer often will indicate its body/torso length (and sleeve length).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Check for tails for tucking in. My understanding is that on a blouse the hem is either straight or very close to; shirts have distinct "tails" to keep them tucked in (which usually don't work as designed).
Curious, does this make a tee-shirt a blouse by definition?

Regarding the theme of the thread, I myself have shorter blouses and some longer ones. I have one that's long enough to where it could almost be an (extreme) mini-dress. In fact, some may argue it's a "short tunic", but I always wear it with a bottom anyway. It actually flares out a little at the bottom hem probably to accentuate the wearers (presumably a woman) hips.

I have some tops that end right at my navel. As you all may know I tend to wear my skirts high on the waist due to my belly. Often times wearing the skirt that high makes the blouse fit nicely only having a little skin show if I were to bend over. The other option is to tuck slightly longer ones into the skirt. I have mixed results with this. Tucking it in helps the top from riding up.

But these are just little tricks I've adapted as I do have a somewhat oddly shaped body.

It should be noted that on many of my dresses, the waist seems to be defined almost between my breast plate and my navel, so IMO, if one were to execute a well coordinated outfit, you could tuck a top into a skirt and it might look alright.

...experiment...!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:Check for tails for tucking in. My understanding is that on a blouse the hem is either straight or very close to; shirts have distinct "tails" to keep them tucked in (which usually don't work as designed).
Curious, does this make a tee-shirt a blouse by definition?

My thinking here unless the "T" shirt has buttons it is not a blouse - add buttons (Henley top) this is a sort of blouse.

Regarding the theme of the thread, I myself have shorter blouses and some longer ones. I have one that's long enough to where it could almost be an (extreme) mini-dress. In fact, some may argue it's a "short tunic", but I always wear it with a bottom anyway. It actually flares out a little at the bottom hem probably to accentuate the wearers (presumably a woman) hips.

I have some tops that end right at my navel. As you all may know I tend to wear my skirts high on the waist due to my belly. Often times wearing the skirt that high makes the blouse fit nicely only having a little skin show if I were to bend over. The other option is to tuck slightly longer ones into the skirt. I have mixed results with this. Tucking it in helps the top from riding up.

I think for the most part blouses were never intended to be tucked - any effort was futile - the least amount of bending over/reaching inevitably would
undo the tucking. Note blouses with square hem lines are not designed for tucking - the ones with the rounded elongated tail would be a candidate for tucking.

But these are just little tricks I've adapted as I do have a somewhat oddly shaped body.

Female clothing was not designed to fit the male body.

It should be noted that on many of my dresses, the waist seems to be defined almost between my breast plate and my navel, so IMO, if one were to execute a well coordinated outfit, you could tuck a top into a skirt and it might look alright.

Between the breast plate and the navel - EMPIRE WAIST ?

...experiment...!
In any event my credentials come from Omar the Tent Maker Academy of Clothing Fitting.
Only Camel Jockeys are permitted to pass through the needle of extreme tucking/fitting !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mr. Anderson... are you on the hooch tonight? :D :lol: :wink:

Just joshing ya! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

mooney

Yeah you betcha I have been known to take a swig to help my swagger from time to time.
What that swagger does to the QWERTY key board with dem BOLD ITALICS wow that is
some eye opening experience.
Apologies if I pinched a sensitive nerve in your Empire Waist - you aren't ticklish there are you ?

rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !