Corset

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corset

Post by JohnH »

Sinned wrote:Moon, just remember NOT to get one that encloses between the legs. These tend to pull UPWARDS restricting movement below and pulling everything below upwards as well. I had a couple of corsets of MOH's and stopped using them because I felt like I was being strangled in the nether regions. This is one case of where what's good for the ladies is definitely not good for us.
Unless you are into tucking the boy bits. (I am not into that!)

John
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Word of warning that shaper garments like those talked about below are not the same as a corset. I've tried them and they didn't do what I wanted. A corset is a whole different thing.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Uncle Al wrote:It has helped me to loose 21 lbs since January. I sit more erect and don't slouch as much as I used to.
Hmmmm, I wonder if that would help or aggravate my current situation. I was recently the victim of an attack of sciatica, and I find myself contorting into all sorts of weird positions sitting and standing (and lying down) to avoid putting pressure on the nerve.

In the past I have found that corsets are either so constricting that they make it difficult to breathe, or so flexible as to be no more supportive than if I wrapped an Ace bandage around my abdomen. I have tried actual corsets and medical back supports, with no satisfaction in either category. With the back supports (lightly boned with plastic, extensive use of velcro to hold in place) my immense expanse of belly fat tends to cause the bands to roll up, eventually folding in half so they rest either above or below my stomach. I would dearly love to find something that actually holds my belly in place to (hopefully) reduce appetite and, as you said, help me maintain a healthier posture.
Ralph!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Ralph, I too have sciatica. Mine is usually in my right buttocks down the back of my leg. I cannot tell you a corset was the cure all for me. I have noticed at least a 75% improvement. I started with the weakest corset from Orchard and quickly realized it did not support much of anything. I moved to a more mid-range and things started getting better. I am now at the highest level and it takes quite a bit of getting used to, but I don't feel right without it. The key is wearing it consistently and also making sure to "season" it right. You can wear a corset in a snug manner that feels like a hug or you can tight lace which is a whole different ball game. I imagine the makers of the thunder shirt for dogs got the idea from a corset. One thing that has helped my sciatica besides a corset is a tennis ball and using my body weight on top of the ball. Also, epsom salt baths. I have to say I have also lost 2 inches in my waist. Believe me the tendency to over eat is drastically reduced.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Ralph,

The 'shapewear' that I discussed is 'Hook-n-Eye'.
No velcro anywhere. The 'waist-cincher' that I
showed first, is the one that really helped with
the weight loss. I need to get a few more as after
multiple use, they tend to lose their tension. The
current ones I've been using for about 10 months.
Same for my compression P-Hose. They need to
be replaced about every 5-6 months as, they too,
lose their compression ability. I'm on the 20-30mmHg
and they really help the swelling in my legs.
This is from DVT I've now had in both legs.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes UA, I notice that they are open gusseted which only goes to prove my point. They look .... interesting.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Ralph, AS others have stated the key when wearing a corset is consistency. The issue that really occurs is that the tendency is to make it as tight as you can get it when you put it on, this is the mistake that is all to often made. You MUST train your body to let it adjust to the tension that the corset puts on your musculature and the skeletal structure of your body. Too much compression too soon WILL cause pain, pain of this type is not good for you as the pain is caused by damage that is occurring to the cellular structures inside your body.

When you first start simply snug the corset up until the tension feels like that of a firm control undergarment. Another piece of advice that I have read is that when you are starting out you only wear the corset for a maximum of about 4 hours at a time with an 8 hour rest before you put it on again. After about a week you can increase the wearing time to about 6 hours with the rest of 8 hours in between. as you work up the time periods of wearing you will eventually reach a point where you can go for 12 hours or more with it on. As you step up the periods of wearing you can also gradually increase the tightness and after several months you may even reach the point where it is completely closed at the back. When that happens simply get the next size down and keeping in mind that you should gradually increase the tightness work the new one tighter over several months. At some point you will literally reach the point where you can wear the corset for complete 24 hour cycles, however even if you do reach that point you should still remove it for at least an hour to 2 hours everyday to allow your body to rest from the pressures you are putting on it. This is also very important to consider as in the longer you wear a corset the greater the danger that your muscles will start withering away that support you and you can reach the point where you will become corset dependent and you will not be able to go without, without that becoming painful. The point here is that wearing 24/7/365 is NOT a goal you want to reach. You should be out of the corset for at least 2 or 3 hours every other day at least.

It may take some time but the structure of the corset will retrain your body in how to properly support itself and the back problems that you are enduring will get less and less. Just keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be very bad and you will be fine.