Dresses

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Dresses

Post by moonshadow »

You know, I gotta say, I've really been into dresses lately. I don't think I've purchased a skirt for quite a while now, but when I go into a shop I find myself browsing the dress aisles more and more. It's somewhat difficult to find a good dress that I like. I am somewhat choosy. I don't like dresses that have exaggerated "darts", or big busted dresses for obvious reasons. The dresses I fancy tend to fit well on small busted women.

I like dresses that are to the ankle to just above the knee, with the sweet spot being right at, or below the knee. I also like dresses that have a good stride. Jumper and sleeveless dresses are my garments of choice. They can be worn sleeveless, or paired with an undershirt during colder weather.

I think all of this comes down to not having to tie the waist so tight to hold the skirt up, as a dress is supported from the shoulders.

Today I dropped off a few skirts at the GoodWill that weren't getting any wear time, and I couldn't help but browse the aisles. I looked over the skirts, but didn't find anything I liked, then I went over and checked the dress section. I picked up two totally awesome dresses that I can't wait to wear!

One is a black sleeveless top dress with a checkerboard style bottom. Mid stride, but stretchy so it's not too constricting. It's a size 10 and I'm surprised I could fit in it as well as I did. I will model them later once I've had a chance to take them out somewhere.

The other is my favorite. It's beautiful in my opinion. A dark red/violetish velvet ankle length sleeveless dress. It fits me perfectly, and I can tell this is a dress to wear on "nights out", NOT for doing yard work in! It's not really "femme" but I have to say, it does make me feel pretty... oh sorry... dapper! 8)

Someone cut off all the tags on this dress, thus, there are no care instructions. What's the best way to clean a velvet dress?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses

Post by r.m.anderson »

I am guessing that you could wash it (separately) in cold water and low heat drying like the velvet pull on pants/leggings/tights I have.
I wear these as winter leggings under my holiday kilts. Colors light Gray and Santy Clause Red.
I am not stupid monkeying around flirting with WindChill factors in the minus 20F range.
I am acclimated to the weather to some extent but at -20F flesh can be Flash Frozen in minutes.

On another option if you have a dry cleaner close by get a professional bit of advice before harm is done.

I know that if tailoring velvet clothing you can not afford a mistake as the needle holes will be evident if that area is not covered by sewing.

Velvet material is so rich and luxurious best worn in the winter due to the weight of the fabric/material.

With the sleeveless designs you have should be fine for evening summer wear - congrats on the find and the fit. Lucky You !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I too have enjoyed wearing dresses of late. They're so easy and simple, and, more importantly, I feel good wearing them. No spending time matching tops and skirts, just throw on a dress, add a pair of shoes and go! What could be simpler, like this recent example from last Sunday:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

You guys are fortunate to be able to wear dresses, they make a lot of sense. I have a bit of a pot belly, despite eating good food and doing a lot of physical work, which makes a dress look like a cantilever verandah from the side elevation. A skirt fastened below the waist with the shirt not tucked in is my preferred mode.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Someone cut off all the tags on this dress, thus, there are no care instructions. What's the best way to clean a velvet dress?
This depends primarily of what material the velvet is made from. If it's a polyester velvet, then washing it in a very gentle machine cycle and then either machine drying it on dead low or line-drying ought to work reasonably well. If you're insanely lucky and got one made of silk velvet then the only answer to that I suspect is dry-cleaning or, just possibly, steaming. (Silk velvet is very, very rare in this day and age because of its expense, but some "vintage" clothes may be floating around that were made with it.)

I'd ask somebody who knows how to accurately identify fabric for guidance; that sounds like a piece you don't want to ruin.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I agree that it is much easier to just throw on a dress no matching . It is especially great when you are just around the house. Going out in a dress is a little more involved. you have to have the right accessories.

the other day I was working at home and I got up and threw on a dress. It was great to start out. But as I was working it just didn't feel right.By the time I got done my simple dress ended up with me sitting at home working but I had to add Thigh Highs and pumps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Same here, I like wearing hose and heels around the house as well.

At first I told myself it was to practice walking in my heels, buy any more it just feels nice and it's fun.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I could easily get into wearing dresses and there are some pics of me wearing some. The trouble is that MOH has enough trouble accepting me in a skirt so a dress would be ott from her viewpoint. I agree that a dress is a completely different entity and it is something I want to explore further in my own time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

that is why I have decided to stay in caftans/robes no matching tops and bottoms and no tight around the waist
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote:I could easily get into wearing dresses and there are some pics of me wearing some. The trouble is that MOH has enough trouble accepting me in a skirt so a dress would be ott from her viewpoint. I agree that a dress is a completely different entity and it is something I want to explore further in my own time.
What about a denim shirt dress or denim overalls dress? I think many of them are well suited to the male torso and without any particular connotations of cross dressing.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

SkirtsDad wrote:What about a denim shirt dress or denim overalls dress?
I think many of them are well suited to the male torso and without
any particular connotations of cross dressing.
The problem I've found with a denim shirt dress in they're not long
enough. Also the waist is too high so they're not for tall people.
I wear them only at home. I will change into a men's shirt and
a skirt if we're leaving the house.

I have a couple of these( deep discount at Walmart-$4.00 each).
The hem line is about 3-4 inches above my knee. When I sit
there isn't enough material between my legs and the chair so
part of my bare skin is on the chair. A hot metal chair can be
quite painful. That's why my knee length skirts & kilts provide
skin protection when sitting.

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Around the house I wear dresses. And I don't change out of them when I water the plants in the front yard, get the mail, or take trash to the curb (kerb). The only time I wear trousers is when I am out in public.

One time when there was a cold snap I put on a flannel shirt and jeans while staying at home. My wife said to me, "Why the f**k are you wearing those clothes?"

John
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I've pretty much stopped buying skirts. Dresses work just as well as skirts when combined with a pull-over shirt or a sweatshirt, or can be worn as a dress either with or without a shirt/cardigan that can be left open.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Online tutorials include conversions. For example, there seem to be several regarding conversion of jeans into skirts.

I came across one for converting a man's shirt into a shirt dress for a woman. Basically, adding some elastic, and trim to the bottom for decoration. To put it another way, turning a man's shirt into a mini-dress.

So why not convert a man's shirt...into a garment for a man?

Went to a thrift store, and browsed through shirts that are larger than what I have been wearing. Found an orange, short sleeved shirt in "XXXL" size. Tried it on. Of course, it fits more loosely than what I am used to, and the short sleeves come down on my arms farther than I am used too. The shirt's bottom is a little above my knees. Not what I am used too, but it is quite comfortable, wearing it commando around my apartment.

I do notice it when I sit down, my bare butt touching the surface of the chair. I am thinking of sewing a band of cloth to the bottom of the shirt.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

^Back when I was in middle school (1988-89 timeframe), my mother purchased a couple tie dye t-shirts for me. Right size, but, they essentially were just above knee on me. I usually wound up tucking them into the jeans I was wearing at the time. Should've experimented and worn them loose with a belt, then a pair of early 1980's vintage shorts underneath. Would've caught he-double hockey sticks for it, but...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo