Issue of men in skirts on Today show this morning

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whorton

Issue of men in skirts on Today show this morning

Post by whorton »

Just a quick note, there was a brief segment on the Today show this morning about 7:43 CST. It started out with a guy wearing casual shorts to work, was sent home and returned in a dress. Segue into men wearing skirts with a poll showing 65% felt it was a double standard that men could not wear shorts at work.

Link:

http://www.today.com/video/can-men-wear ... 3542467554

Surprising where this stuff turns up!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Issue of men in skirts on Today show this morning

Post by Sinned »

Yes, but they asked the wrong f****ng question. They should have asked, "Should it be ok for men to wear skirts in hot weather?" The emphasis of the article was on shorts wearing not skirts wearing. The skirts were used for their shock value rather than their attributes of coolness, comfort and ventilation.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Sinned wrote:Yes, but they asked the wrong f****ng question. They should have asked, "Should it be ok for men to wear skirts in hot weather?" The emphasis of the article was on shorts wearing not skirts wearing. The skirts were used for their shock value rather than their attributes of coolness, comfort and ventilation.
Agreed. Skirts are much better for ventilation. The only trouble I have is when sitting on a leather seat and the skirt rides up enough for bare skin to make contact. Not that great then.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

renesm1 wrote:
Sinned wrote:Yes, but they asked the wrong f****ng question. They should have asked, "Should it be ok for men to wear skirts in hot weather?" The emphasis of the article was on shorts wearing not skirts wearing. The skirts were used for their shock value rather than their attributes of coolness, comfort and ventilation.
Agreed. Skirts are much better for ventilation. The only trouble I have is when sitting on a leather seat and the skirt rides up enough for bare skin to make contact. Not that great then.
That's why they make pantyhose. :P
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Pantyhose (tights) in this weather??? :)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

when they do allow shorts they are at the knee or longer while the women are wearing mini skirts up to the stratosphere. I have worn kilts to work for the past few years without any issues. I am sure some have commented on it being OK for my kilt but shorts still being against the rules. That changed this year. Men can now wear shorts but they are expected to be at the knee or longer.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Mike wrote:
renesm1 wrote:
Pantyhose negates any cooling you get from wearing a skirt. and never when the heat index outside is 115°

:ugeek:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Pantyhose negates any cooling you get from wearing a skirt. and never when the heat index outside is 115°
:ugeek:
Heck at 115 degrees that is the temperature that the pantyhose components come melting off the loom in the sheer stovepipes mold !
Why pantyhose ?

Wearing skirts/kilts/dresses minimal clothing will be part of the cooling solution - as long as the stovepipe is one big flue should dissipate the heat best - no crotch
seams reducing the cooling effect.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I always sit on a towel at my desk or in my vehicle.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Agreed! This video made me yawn. Just a bunch of talking heads rambling on about wearing shorts to work. When in fact there are many trades in western culture where men can and do wear short pants to work. Even my HIGHLY conservative employer allows it during certain times if the year for certain positions.

Like you said Dennis, in the video the skirts are basically beside the point.

Short pants are just as stuffy in the groin as regular trousers are. Men are idiots.

I like the woman at the end.... "so uuhhhh... does this mean women can wear pants in the winter because like uuummm... skirts are cold... like yeah...."

And everyone just looks at her and is like.... "uh yeah sure thing!" :roll:

What, is that woman's alarm clock set for 1950 or something??
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Mike wrote:
renesm1 wrote:
Heh, and longer skirts. I find that with even long skirts I get all the air I need, and with a nice full one it's easy to regulate how much leg is exposed to the elements. One place I worked changed temperature from room to room, radically. Adjustability makes a big difference when the air conditioners are possessed by demons.
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

renesm1 wrote:
Feeling bare legs on a seat at home is fine, except for the metal ones in the sun. I do worry when I sit on public seats and tend to perch on the edge.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

renesm1 wrote:
Anyone contact the show?

Skin melting onto a hot plastic or metal seat is a sign your skirt is too short.
I may be a little traditional here but I don't think anyone, any age, male or female should wear anything shorter than 2 inches above the knee. It is too easy to flash some one. As men we have lower bits to contend with, last thing I want is to get cited with indecent exposure because someone saw up my skirt. There are a lot of man haters that would use that as a opportunity to cry "pervert he exposed himself." on a guy in a short skirt.

I hate pantyhose and skorts, I don't see the point, there's that dreaded inseam creeping back into the picture. Blasted inseam its like a virus.

Mishawakakilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
renesm1 wrote:
Anyone contact the show?

Skin melting onto a hot plastic or metal seat is a sign your skirt is too short.
I may be a little traditional here but I don't think anyone, any age, male or female should wear anything shorter than 2 inches above the knee. It is too easy to flash some one. As men we have lower bits to contend with, last thing I want is to get cited with indecent exposure because someone saw up my skirt. There are a lot of man haters that would use that as a opportunity to cry "pervert he exposed himself." on a guy in a short skirt.

I hate pantyhose and skorts, I don't see the point, there's that dreaded inseam creeping back into the picture. Blasted inseam its like a virus.
I hate pantyhose because it always forms a tight roll around my waist, not because I hate hosiery, which in general can be quite nice. I love my collection of long socks in the cooler weather, and if they didn't disintegrate so quickly I'd probably wear that one-piece bodystocking for men from G. Lieberman all day every day in the winter.

Totally agree about length except the length for men, in my opinion, should be about 2 inches longer than for women. Even in undergarments we have a "package" dangling where women just have a flat area. Wind happens. Accidental upskirt views happen. Whether individually or collectively, we are not going to be accepted in skirts if it seems our reason for wearing them is to display our junk, or if the net effect of adopting them is increased frequency of such displays.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:I hate pantyhose because it always forms a tight roll around my waist, not because I hate hosiery, which in general can be quite nice.
Likely, either the size is outright wrong, or the rise is incorrect for your build. I've had that problem with some sizes/brands but not with others. Sometimes one needs to look around to find something that fits well -- and we're all different sizes.
Totally agree about length except the length for men, in my opinion, should be about 2 inches longer than for women. Even in undergarments we have a "package" dangling where women just have a flat area. Wind happens. Accidental upskirt views happen.
This can be mitigated by careful selection of what one wears. Longer stuff allows more "breathing room" of course, but shorter skirts require slightly more "control" so the "package" stays where it should and parts don't fall off or out the way they do with certain makes of automobiles. Again, fitness and appropriateness for duty are important. I suppose the words "shorter" and "firmer" might go together well here.
Whether individually or collectively, we are not going to be accepted in skirts if it seems our reason for wearing them is to display our junk, or if the net effect of adopting them is increased frequency of such displays.
Indeed, and that's something we should endeavour to avoid. I'm actually worried more about man-haters -- and especially children of same -- in my vicinity because the man-hater will put words in the kid's mouth which will be treated by the police as gospel. Best advice if one is going short -- pick one's venue carefully and comport one's self with dignity at all times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!