schools

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
italianjob

schools

Post by italianjob »

my idea is simple:promote the wearing a skirt among teenagers at school as NORMAL wear.
Once the trend has started it will spread everywhere instead of just waiting for a change
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: schools

Post by Jim »

italianjob wrote:my idea is simple:promote the wearing a skirt among teenagers at school as NORMAL wear.
Once the trend has started it will spread everywhere instead of just waiting for a change
How do you intend to do that?
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Sounds great in theory, but remember. Apostolic isn't too many letters removed from Apoplectic. Get that one student or student's parents who want to have their cake and eat it, too theologically speaking and the student or teacher who isn't adhering to their interpretation of Deuteronomy 22:5 is qui domine le ruisseau merde.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I've thought about opening a unisex skirt shop (or perhaps a few) in trendy art, fashion, or college districts and naming them Skirts Everyone or something like that. The inventory would be mostly casual skirts and utility kilts, plus some accessories. The clerks would be a mixture of men and women, but all of course, would be skirted. I'd also hire few extra clerks and have some of the guys just roam around the neighborhood. No placards, no shop logo clothing, just looking like ordinary people on the street. Free skirts to male performers who agree to wear them on gigs.

But first I'd have to win big in the lottery.

And I'm afraid the chances of success would be pretty slim.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

How about Skirts4All or SkirtsRUs? A good idea but as you say the risk is huge as not many small clothing emporiums last for more than a year or two and the startup costs are not insignificant. Good idea though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:I've thought about opening a unisex skirt shop (or perhaps a few) in trendy art, fashion, or college districts and naming them Skirts Everyone or something like that. The inventory would be mostly casual skirts and utility kilts, plus some accessories. The clerks would be a mixture of men and women, but all of course, would be skirted. I'd also hire few extra clerks and have some of the guys just roam around the neighborhood. No placards, no shop logo clothing, just looking like ordinary people on the street. Free skirts to male performers who agree to wear them on gigs.

Oh if only I still had Lunar Curiosities.... I would have totally put out a few skirt racks, and every day I would have showed up for work wearing what I wanted.

Operating a little retail shop is surprisingly simple, and if you can get good rent and a product that's a little eccentric (witchcraft stuff does well), you'd be surprised how well it can go!

You don't even need an actual store, just a sales tax certificate, and with that you can open up just about any wholesale account, then you can sell at flea markets and festivals.... Build up a name and brand, then eventually, if you desire, move into a brick and mortar. I got a little building in Pulaski for $300 per month!

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:I've thought about opening a unisex skirt shop (or perhaps a few) in trendy art, fashion, or college districts and naming them Skirts Everyone or something like that. The inventory would be mostly casual skirts and utility kilts, plus some accessories. The clerks would be a mixture of men and women, but all of course, would be skirted. I'd also hire few extra clerks and have some of the guys just roam around the neighborhood. No placards, no shop logo clothing, just looking like ordinary people on the street. Free skirts to male performers who agree to wear them on gigs.

Don't you know anyone in the clothing retail? How about a popup store with two departments, top's and bottoms. Shirts next to blouses, trousers next to skirts, etc. I do wonder why no fashion designer has yet shown the exact same clothing wore simultanious by a man and a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Gusto10 wrote:Don't you know anyone in the clothing retail? How about a popup store with two departments, top's and bottoms. Shirts next to blouses, trousers next to skirts, etc. I do wonder why no fashion designer has yet shown the exact same clothing wore simultanious by a man and a woman.
No, I don't know anyone in the clothing retail business. I have a niece who's a New York back room clothing designer but I rarely see her and anyway, she's not into retail.

I imagine I would have to hire an experienced manager or two but the greater issues remain start-up funding and a low probability of success.

Putting up a new store that's instantly trendy is no mean trick.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

moonshadow wrote:

Oh if only I still had Lunar Curiosities.... I would have totally put out a few skirt racks, and every day I would have showed up for work wearing what I wanted.

Operating a little retail shop is surprisingly simple, and if you can get good rent and a product that's a little eccentric (witchcraft stuff does well), you'd be surprised how well it can go!

You don't even need an actual store, just a sales tax certificate, and with that you can open up just about any wholesale account, then you can sell at flea markets and festivals.... Build up a name and brand, then eventually, if you desire, move into a brick and mortar. I got a little building in Pulaski for $300 per month!

nice shop :) why you have to close it ?
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Ron wrote:
moonshadow wrote:

nice shop :) why you have to close it ?
We had to move for Moon's job. Wasn't a good choice but we move forward not back. Half the the shop was mine too. I ran it while moon worked at his current job.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Selling online is a way in.
I sell stuff on ebay (not a clothing line yet) ( Its really cool when you realized something sold while you were sleeping, that feeling really rocks!

There have been small attempts at mens skirts like Skirtcraft and Midas and a few others I'm sure ( man skirt history is not my strong point). Any historians out the there? That might be an exceptional project
For someone.

For it to really work. The skirt needs to be basic, everyday, utilitararian, functional pockets, name it something other than a skirt. The name skirt in its self is a hangup due to feminine connotations.
I hate it when my wife calls my Kilt a skirt ( technically she is right) but still is mentally annoying. The word skirt seems to bring ones masculineness / sexuallity to question.
Most IMPORTANT for last. The cost. The cost has to get down to the level of that of shorts and Trousers.
I am cheap. I don't like to pay anymore than I have to (on everything).
It took me 20 years to buy a 38 dollar kilt ( and that was at an attempt to diffuse my wife to kilts / skirts for men. (That did not work, that's another story)
A curious man with 25 dollar jeans and a 70 dollar denim labled as a mans skirt or not, placed before him will choose safe and comfortable most of the time. The curious man will come up with these excuses. " Besides a 70 skirt Is nothing I would want to dirty up." "What if I don't like it" I know what I would buy, two pairs of jeans and go out to dinner on the change.

The Mod utili kilt type is the closest to this formula. The cost is the deal breaker.
My mod kilts are what I wear most now.
Get the cost at or below a pair of trousers and men will slowly start to move.
I have a few ideas, just not the business, brains time or money to make it happen.

MishawakaKilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

misha, I'm cheaper than you as the most I have paid for a skirt is 5 quid. I won't pay any more and most have cost me between 2 and 3 quid, from charity shops or ebay but occasionally a very basic skirt on sale in a shop. The only thing I have that cost more is my kilt and I didn't buy it MOH did. I look at the cost of women's clothes and shake my head in disbelief. As for trousers I have plenty mostly bought new at reduced cost and again nothing more than about 15 quid. And I have Calvin Kleins and Paul Smiths and Levis. Incidentally Levi used to do jeans of different colours and I have a pair of white Levis that are a treasure to me but as far as I can tell all Levi does not is the various shades of blue.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron wrote:
Gusto10 wrote:Don't you know anyone in the clothing retail? How about a popup store with two departments, top's and bottoms. Shirts next to blouses, trousers next to skirts, etc. I do wonder why no fashion designer has yet shown the exact same clothing wore simultanious by a man and a woman.
No, I don't know anyone in the clothing retail business. I have a niece who's a New York back room clothing designer but I rarely see her and anyway, she's not into retail.

I imagine I would have to hire an experienced manager or two but the greater issues remain start-up funding and a low probability of success.

Putting up a new store that's instantly trendy is no mean trick.
Well owners of stores which have not been used as such a long time might well be interested to do so for free as it will draw the attention to their premises also. A clothing store might be also willing to do as a gig for Haloween..