What made you put on that first skirt.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What made you put on that first skirt.

Post by Caultron »

TO: Happy-N-Skirts

Well then, best of luck working out that anxiety toward people you know. I'm sure they won't react any differently than people anywhere else, but I'm also sure you need to proceed at your own pace.

I mean, everybody's a little quirky about one thing or another. So what? Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, all I can say is that I was very aware of the opposite sex at age 8/9 although maybe the detail of the mechanics of male/female sex were a bit hazy I certainly knew broadly what was what. Never occurred to me to wear a skirt at that age though no doubt I experimented with changing clothing with the girls as I had many female friends.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I grew up with three brothers & no sister. We had a nanny (old fashioned) so she & my Mum were the only females and I didn't think to try on their clothes. (Our nanny is now 83 and still full-time employed as a Priest's housekeeper). When we visit her for lunch we need to systematically starve ourselves for a fortnight in advance!

At 8-9 I knew absolutely nothing. I played two ladies' parts in operettas at boarding school while I was a treble but those experiences weren't exactly turn-ons.

The skirting started when I was lonely, studying and living away from home.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:TO: Caultron,

I keep a robe in the entry closet because when someone who knows me might come over, I don't want to explain all of the reasons I am wearing a skirt. That would not happen with strangers in public, at least it never has. Our next door neighbor knows. I was in the driveway at the same time she was. She didn't notice my skirt until I brought it up and said I bought a hiking skirt. She smiled and asked whether I had Scottish ancestry. Yes, I do in fact, but I didn't "inherit" the idea of wearing a skirt. I just like to and enjoy the freedom, unlimited stride, and ventilation. We are going on a trip this weekend and I will wear a skirt because it is so much more comfortable than pants or shorts, and easier to adjust for comfort while driving. We do that all the time and stop for gas, to eat, and to check in to hotels.
For the record, isn't a robe also a "one-pipe" garment like a skirt?
らき☆
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Not sure why but it was when I was a teenager in the late 60's when the Mary Quant miniskirts were at their shortest that I occasionally tried wearing a couple of my sisters minis. Always alone in the house after getting home from school. I loved the look and feel of them (teenage hormones to the fore)

I loved trying them on but never had a thought of wearing them outside. That only came about 35 years later (at arund 50 years old) when I hired a kilt for a ceilidh. Then I bought my own kilt a few years after that.

But it was probably this site that tempted me to try out an actual skirt in public - I still wear them but never with MOH who strongly disapproves. :(
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtingtoday wrote: But it was probably this site that tempted me to try out an actual skirt in public - I still wear them but never with MOH who strongly disapproves. :(
Sorry to hear about the intolerant OH. I don't think I could put up with that. I'd strongly disapprove of mine wearing trousers if she wanted to disapprove of me wearing skirts, then we'd probably have to visit a lawster...
Daryl...