email from Wolford's

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

email from Wolford's

Post by Jim2 »

I'm on Wolford's email list, and I just got an ad that had a very interesting message. This is what it said:
DEAR SIR OR MADAM,

WE HAVE SELECTED FOR YOU SOME OF THE BEST STYLES FROM THE CURRENT WOLFORD ASSORTMENT. DISCOVER THEM ONLINE AND IN-STORE, WE SINCERELY HOPE YOU WILL ENJOY THEM!

ADD A WOLFORD DRESS, SHIRT OR SKIRT TO YOUR LOOK, COMBINE THEM TO THE RIGHT TIGHTS OR LEGGINGS, AND FEEL PERFECT!
I was surprised at the "DEAR SIR" in the message. Now Wolford's doesn't sell any clothing for men. I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. In the email and on their website, I see no male models shown, only women. I can't imagine that they customized the message just for me based on my name. Besides. if they had, they would have left off the "OR MADAM". Could they be assuming that men might be shopping for their significant other? Or could they think that men might be interested in wearing something they sell? I don't think I've ever seen them say "DEAR SIR" in any other email they've sent me. So this was puzzling and perhaps a pleasant surprise.

Anyone else have any ideas?
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: email from Wolford's

Post by crfriend »

Jim2 wrote:[...] I was surprised at the "DEAR SIR" in the message. Now Wolford's doesn't sell any clothing for men.
I suspect this may be down to the retailer realising that a decent number of its audience are, in fact, men, else they never would have made the change in verbiage. The real test will be to see if it stays.

For quite some time, at least in the hosiery business, men have apparently been providing substantial business for retailers as the women have increasingly opted for the bare leg look and the guys are after stuff that's not as obnoxious as old-school "long underwear". So, the above may be a reflection of that. Why offend someone if you don't need to?

Equality and all that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...For quite some time, at least in the hosiery business, men have apparently been providing substantial business for retailers as the women have increasingly opted for the bare leg look and the guys are after stuff that's not as obnoxious as old-school "long underwear"...
I just ran a quick search on Google and discovered estimates ranging from 2.5% to 80% of all pantyhose and tights being sold to men.

That much of a range probably indicates nobody knows for sure. I saw an interview with a Hanes marketing executive who claimed men account for 40% of sales, but that may have included traditional men's socks, t-shirts, and underwear.

In any event, you'd think that if men were actually buying a high percentage of all tights and pantyhose, you'd start seeing racks of them in men's clothing departments.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
crfriend wrote:...For quite some time, at least in the hosiery business, men have apparently been providing substantial business for retailers as the women have increasingly opted for the bare leg look and the guys are after stuff that's not as obnoxious as old-school "long underwear"...
I just ran a quick search on Google and discovered estimates ranging from 2.5% to 80% of all pantyhose and tights being sold to men.
That much of a range probably indicates nobody knows for sure. I saw an interview with a Hanes marketing executive who claimed men account for 40% of sales, but that may have included traditional men's socks, t-shirts, and underwear.
In any event, you'd think that if men were actually buying a high percentage of all tights and pantyhose, you'd start seeing racks of them in men's clothing departments.
Why having you cross the aisle to grab a pair or two when putting them right in mid aisle covers both sides. Never mind the obstruction to traffic flow
you are a captured prey and stores have you in the deer headlights. Marketing 101 "Seizing the sale" ! Only draw back is the price of Wolford goods - beware
of the BOGO (Buy One Get One {free or half off}) Wolford is still expensive.

I wonder if the sales of PH & Tights to men is more of an athletic thing - marathon 10 and 5 K races in near chilly conditions and winter bicycle riders taking
the nip out of the nip in the weather and oddly divers in jellyfish infested waters these are just some of the uses. Tights can be used for medical purposes also.

When winter is bottoming out at it lowest I wear tights and leggings (in spite of my profound distaste to do so when skirted/kilted) I am no court jester fool to
challenge the "WindChill Factor" ! Frost bitten legs are not something I care to mess with and being splashed with icy snow ain't no walk in the park either.
Then there is fashion sense - wearing knee sox with a mini-kilt skirt is so school girlish - tights and leggings are better suited here and cover more self exposed
flesh. Summer; Spring and Fall are something different - no extremes here.

Wolford is the Cadillac (Rolls Royce-UK) but I can get by with Danskin getting 3-4 for the price of a Wolford still yet I think I will try and get on Wolford's Email
to see what they have in COLORS ! May not be flamboyant like a peacock but I am not a plain jane either - - -

"Damn the Dress Code Full Spectrum Ahead" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:In any event, you'd think that if men were actually buying a high percentage of all tights and pantyhose, you'd start seeing racks of them in men's clothing departments.
And you'd be seeing ones made for male bodies. I'd probably be willing to consider their products if they didn't negate a certain freedom that men enjoy (in not having to pull them down to get certain kinds of business done) and if they were designed to not roll down in the absence of female body curves. The only thing like them I've ever enjoyed is that one-piece jobbie with a fly from G. Lieberman. Quite enjoyable in winter.
Daryl...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Wolfords are great (and on a per wear basis, good value). Yes, they lack a fly but when they look and feel so good, I for one am happy to make the compromise. Activskin hosiery isn't bad but it's every bit as expensive (in the UK) as Wolford, and nowhere near as good to the touch. I still utterly support Activskin - I just need to buy them when I'm in the USA (unlikely for the next 4 years).
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Many years ago Wolford did carry tights for men which were called if I remember correctly, waist high socks... what is in a name? The price was beyond believe so I guess that due to the pricing sales were slow.
I.r.o. the Dear Sir, Madam, nowadays elegance is no longer. Where it was common to address people with thou instead of you. E.g. in French it was commom to address ones wife with "vous" instead of "tu", nowadays such will be done only by Mr Giscard D'Estaing when he adresses his wife. The other day I was discussing such with a provider of phone etc. They used the equivalent Hi Guy instead of Dear Sir to have a younger approach. But also in respect of discrimination they will have to mention such, even more if one is addressing a TG.
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

I have shopped in the Wolford store in Toronto a couple of times and have been treated with nothing but respect. No judgments, no comments, nothing negative. It was a great shopping experience. I know most people in retail just want to make a sale but I was impressed with the professionalism. I was wearing a black skirt, black hose and heels at the time so I think that made a difference. The sales associate showed me several styles, and had a display rack of their offerings to give me a hands-on feel. Yes, very pricy. And as a cheap accountant, I still can't believe I spent that much on a pair of tights. Time will tell if the money spent was worth it.

Jeff
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Gusto, I had a pair of these Wolford "waist socks". They were bought for me by my then girlfriend in 1999. £40 then (US$60). They were built to last, and they did. I still have them somewhere.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

jmiller842 wrote:I have shopped in the Wolford store in Toronto a couple of times and have been treated with nothing but respect. No judgments, no comments, nothing negative. It was a great shopping experience. I know most people in retail just want to make a sale but I was impressed with the professionalism. I was wearing a black skirt, black hose and heels at the time so I think that made a difference.
Jeff
There's a strong visible trans community in Toronto and the Yorkville shopping area where you were is very upscale and is only a few blocks from "the village" so you were in probably the most tolerant possible part of planet not just Toronto. You dressing smartly would have predisposed them to treating you with respect more than anything else, I am sure. Being non-normative gender-wise won't get you more than a yawn anywhere in downtown TO, on most days.

There is a sex shop called "Seduction" just a short distance from there on Yonge St. and it has a lot of hosiery inside near the entrance. I've never been in Wolford but given the district it's in, I'd expect it to be very expensive for everything. All the shops in that whole area are well used to selling across the gender lines, I am sure.

Man, now I can't wait for the warm weather. I love sitting outside sipping a shake or coffee in that part of city, or around the university, when the weather is nice.
Daryl...
Liino

Post by Liino »

I am also on the mailing list for Wolford, dang I did not get any selection notice like that, lucky you. However this winter Wolford did have on their Menu a Men's section for Pantyhose. I wrote told them about wonderful that was, now it has changed again. I would have to say that much of their wording as also changed. They call them tights now instead of Pantyhose in the Hosiery section, in addition, they now have a new Unisex section in the Hosiery menu and it is basically aimed at men and tights with some new socks. New as well, they have now named the former section of "Ready to Wear" now called "Clothing". As for clothing that men can buy, any of it is available, I have purchased many Bodysuits in the last couple of years, sweaters and hosiery. They are awesome to deal with, very open and certainly welcoming, I can ask about any item and try it on if I wished to. I have been a fan for many years and shop there often. Yes, the price is higher, quality is very good though.