Hail to the Handbag!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Hail to the Handbag!

Post by JeffB1959 »

Way back in 2008 when I first started wearing skirts in public, I didn't carry all that much on my person: wallet, car keys, house keys and my cellphone. Not too much, but I when I wore pants, I put those items in my pockets, no big deal, right? Ahh, but with skirts, it was a horse of another color as pockets on them were small, sometimes ridiculously small, and on other styles, they were nonexistent, a problem to be sure. I learned early on that the only way to solve that problem was to put those items in an, ahem, external carrying case. In other words....a bag.

Now, it's one thing to lug around a backpack which I do daily, but a bag? I wasn't sure at first that I could do something like that, so, out of pure self-consciousness, I started out with something relatively manly looking, that being the crossbody style Buxton Bag which I bought at, of all places, a drug store. I felt comfortable and at ease using that bag (which I still have to this day) on my travels, and, it's style enabled me to keep my hands free during my travels, another bonus to be sure. In time, I gradually built up enough confidence to move up to the next level, a woman's purse, something I felt I needed to do as I integrated skirts more and more into my outings. The first time I carried a handbag in public, I'll admit to feeling a level of nervousness I never experienced when I first wore a skirt, thinking people would stare at me during my travels. But, when that never happened, I came to enjoy carrying a purse, so much so that I don't feel dressed if I don't have a bag and never, and I repeat, NEVER leave home without one. I bought more bags in different styles, sizes and colors, but the bulk of my collection are in black because black goes with everything. Prior to each and every outing, I devote a good ten minutes or so choosing just the right bag, and, of course I follow the longtime fashion mantra that says my bag must match the color of my shoes.

I've also bought bags in other colors, brown, red, navy and beige, and I have them in varying sizes from small bags to large satchels or totes for when I'm carrying everything from keys, my wallet, an umbrella to my e-reader, even my iPad. It's hard to put into words, but the comfortable heft of a full handbag on my shoulder feels good to me and is an integral part of my identity as a fashion freestyler. Anyone who says a man can't or shouldn't carry a purse, to that, I say---BUNK! It's not just fun, it's liberating as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hail to the Handbag!

Post by denimini »

Love to see some pics of your bags. I am still using a small backpack but usually have it slung on one shoulder - a good bag would be better.
I usually choose skirts with reasonable pockets but use the mainly for keys and sometimes change when I can't find my purse quickly - I keep folding money in my wallet.
Bag contents: LG G4 mobile phone, wallet, notebook, pen, small tape measure, reading glasses, usb stick, change purse. Sometimes I will put small purchases in until I get to the car. I have bought a couple of .......... (waist mounted) bags but they don't hold enough and are uncomfortable when driving.

Hmmm, you have got me looking again.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I totally agree with you Jeff.

I have several purses, and in my opinion they make my outfit complete. My purses are some times plain brown leather and could easily been worn by men too. Other purses are clearly feminine, but if it suits the rest of my outfit I wear it with pride. If it looks feminine or masculine isn’t of any relevance. It is how the complete look goes together. It is clearly that when I’m out in a more feminine looking outfit, I am still a man.

I feel kind of naked without my purse. I hate carry my belongings in my hands. The feeling I have when carrying my phone and keys in my hand, is like I am not so confident when I’m out in my skirts. The same goes with a backpack. I feel I give a signal to the public that I have changed to a skirt somewhere close and thrown all my men’s clothing in my backpack. Off course I know that is not true, but it is the feeling I have and then I am out and it gives me less confidence. The reason for this is off course this is what I did before in the start when I was out skirting.

I will therefor stick with my purses.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

A bag or a purse now it is something else to remember when you leave the house. Both myself and my son leave the house and we always have to come back in for something we forgot.

Boy do I long for the old old days when you didn't need anything. not even a key because there was always one under the door mat.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I used to carry everything in the pockets of my denim skirts but almost lost some of them because the pockets were too shallow. I started to look at shoulder bags and decided I liked cross body bags as they do not want to slide off my shoulders. I now have a very nice heavy duty RFID safe bag (helps keep your credit cards safe from electronic thieves) in black that I carry all of the time. I do need another some what larger bag for when I am traveling to carry my E-reader and the charger for it.
I now have so many skirts without pockets that there is no way I could go out and not have something to carry my things in.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'm glad that there are liked minded folks who appreciate the importance of the handbag. I appreciate your comments, everyone. Oh, and denimini, that's a good suggestion. I'll see what I can do about posting a few pics of my bags.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I have two bags -- one black and one brown -- that I carry when my outfits doesn't have enough pockets for my wallet, phone, house keys, car keys, and hankey.

Both were sold as "man bags" just big enough to hold an iPad.

At first I went through the well-known oh-I-could-never-do-that-in-public anxiety but now I'm thinking of carrying one all the time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

I to love a handbag. Used to use shoulder bags, but more recently changed to handbags. I have 1black, brown, blue and grey. They don't ruin the look of your outfit like a shoulder bag does, you just put on the floor or table, no wrestling with it as you lift over you head. I have slopy shoulders so have to wear it across my body.

Just discovering the male clutch bag, already got four. They're cool too.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

For more than 25 years I use a fanny pack. It carries my wallet, IDs, credit cards and some small items. Some coats and jackets don't have inside pockets and I hate to carry stuff out of sight in my back pockets. My kilts and skirts are not used as a fashion statement so a fanny pack is just practical to have your hands free. And on the bike, I can slide it to my back.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I'm not into hand bags and purses, just not my style, but that's me. I prefer both my hands free.
Nor do I really have a need for them. I usually buy skirts with normal pockets when possible, it takes a lot of thrift store searching sometimes for something in my size, taste, and with pockets. CJ Banks, Gap, Whitestag, and Covenington all have produced some skirts with nice pockets. I have used a medium sized camera bag with a sholder strap as a hand bag even when trousered. That works very nicely to carry stuff. I guess you could call it a "tech purse" purse hidden in plain sight.
When in a traditional kilt I go with a more modern, cheaper approach to the sporran, I'm not a fan of sporrans, leather and fir? What were those Scots thinking? ( I'm part Scotinsh so I can say that). I have several canvas two pocket ammo pouches that I wear with my kilt. Cheap, simple, effective, and durable alternative to handbags.
If you really have a ton of stuff to carry a laptop bag would be another good option.
Camera bag
Laptop bag
ammo pouch

Best wishes toten lifes essentials
Mishawakaskirt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think my inventory of bags comes to three, and I use all of 'em for specific times and purposes.

I have one that my late partner custom-built for me to my specifications to carry my wallet, the "smart" 'phone I had to carry for work way too often, and my reading glasses. I have another that was one of her cast-offs which used to be a shoulder-purse but which is now a sequinned clutch, and a third which was a gift from another friend.

I usually try to get stuff into pockets and other "close" spots, but I make use of -- and really like -- bags/purses.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have a purse, and I have no hangups on calling it that.. It's actually somewhat special to me (you see it on me in virtually all of my photos), as it was a gift, or rather a "hand me down" from my wife.

I really enjoy carrying it as it makes it easier on my back especially when driving in Jenn's car, for some reason the seats in her car push my wallet into my backside when driving. This was a constant problem during my trouser days with back aches. Then my boss of all people said he has the same issue and that's why he keeps his wallet in the truck, not on his person... and likewise, that's why he's constantly leaving it behind.

Pity... if they weren't so hung up on anything remotely "girly" he'd just carry a purse... but ahhh... gotta pacify that ego! What would the guys say?? :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

In response to denimini, here's a few of my bags:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Round two of my handbag pics:
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

The last round of handbag pics: