Hail to the Handbag!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hail to the Handbag!

Post by Daryl »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote: I have never been bothered by anyone except to compliment it and / or ask where I bought it, until last weekend. We were at an annual weekend meeting of an explorer group we belong to, and a man made an irritating comment about my "purse", and the next day he made a comment and gesture about squeezing my behind, insinuating my shoulder bag as making me look effeminate (or he admired my butt). His first comment was not amusing so I brushed it off, but the second one the next day was insulting. He is also a member of the organization. I was ready with an answer to the first comment, which was to say I don't like having too much stuff in my pockets. My reply to the second one was that sitting on a wallet was like sitting on a potato. I should probably expect him to say something else the next time we meet, which will be at a meeting. I will think up a snappy answer to his cloddy attitude.
Ugh, aggressive verbal incontinents can be tricky. Here's hoping he settles down.

I bought a woven purse from a street shop last summer just because I found it pretty and was looking for something colourful and small for summer days where I don't even have to carry a just-in-case umbrella. Standing at a corner waiting for a light to change, at the top of our downtown financial district, a beautiful young woman raced against the end of a walk signal to come up and ask me where I got it. She called it a purse and remarked how pretty it was. I was too breathtaken to strike up a conversation, though I had the time and certainly would have enjoyed tarrying with her awhile.

Pleasant interactions like that can make up for a dozen crap ones, and I don't think I've had more than three really crap ones since I lost my trousers full time years ago.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

robert wrote:I have several purses, and in my opinion they make my outfit complete. My purses are some times plain brown leather and could easily been worn by men too. Other purses are clearly feminine, but if it suits the rest of my outfit I wear it with pride. If it looks feminine or masculine isn’t of any relevance. It is how the complete look goes together. It is clearly that when I’m out in a more feminine looking outfit, I am still a man.

I feel kind of naked without my purse. I hate carry my belongings in my hands. The feeling I have when carrying my phone and keys in my hand, is like I am not so confident when I’m out in my skirts.
I will therefor stick with my purses.
I rarely thought in terms of "outfits" until I started skirting. It's not anxiety over looking right so much as opportunity.

But the real reason I responded is, damn, that number in your profile photo looks sharp. Have you posted the full-size one somewhere? I am sneaking up on more feminine looks but finding a painful aesthetic dissonance every time I go too far. I made a long circle skirt from a print I was inspired by and though I love wearing it I can't look at myself in the mirror without thinking that a bare-shoulder peasant blouse, hips, butt, breasts, lips and hair would help it a lot. Not about to go buy those things just for a skirt. :)
Daryl...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I attach a pic taken in Gocek, S. Turkey of my friends stepping ashore off our yacht. Three of them have bags, one in hand, the other two over the shoulder.

As it happens, they are wearing shorts, but certainly a similar bag would be practical if one were skirted.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !