Actual men's dress that is a real possiblity

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Actual men's dress that is a real possiblity

Post by renesm1 »

Just seen this dress for men. I think it is really nice, fits a man's body without being too shapeless. Lovely fabric.

I think the only drawback is its availability and price. It doesn't mention the price so I guess I can't afford it.

http://www.stinak.com/en/collections/s-s-2014-2
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Actual men's dress that is a real possiblity

Post by Big and Bashful »

Yep, looks really good but doesn't seem to feature in their on line shop.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Did you happen to notice that this was from 3 years ago? If it was a success we would have seen more about it, Me thinks....
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

renesm1 wrote:It doesn't mention the price so I guess I can't afford it.
You know what they say... "if you have to ask how much it is... you can't afford it" :lol:

Definitely manly, not enough color or flare for me though.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Thought this was a good thread to mention thawb in. I have a grey one that I wear around the house pretty much all the time. It has three pockets and the side pockets include inner pockets, good for keeping different items sorted and also making pickpocketing harder. They are made for men and other than needing to come in shorter lengths I think they are pretty much the perfection of the practical men's dress.

They are readily available from stores that usually call themselves "Islamic fashions" or perhaps "middle eastern". They are not Islamic per se. In the countries in which they are common, they are just men's wear and not only going-to-church wear. Sadly over here you mostly only ever see them on the street near mosques, on Fridays, and often (but not always) the men wearing them are wearing trousers under them.

The strong association with Islam is the only reason I don't wear it ouside. I eventually found it super annoying being identified as doing a Scottish thing when I used to wear tartan kilts in public a lot, and I don't think being identified as Muslim would be better. I'd probably piss off some Muslim traditionalists for mocking or appropriating their culture, plus draw the ire of Islamophobes by confirming their irrational fears of cultural apocalypse. Not gonna do it...yet.

I have considered getting my local tailor to use the basic design with enough changes to make it not confusable with Islamic fashions, but have yet to go that far.

Just type thawb or dishdash in any search box to see 'em. They come in a huge variety of styles with outright Arabic ones dominating the online availability. Oddly, or perhaps unsurprisingly, the local Islamic shop carries ones that seem more practical than the ones I find online. They are mass produced so prices are quite low for such large, complete and well-made garments.
Daryl...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Hmmmm. Maybe cutting it to mini-skirt length would work?

Me, I'd wear a Templar tunic, but that has other issues. :shock:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If you want a man-dress that's not overly expensive (and made in the U.S.A. no less), then just head over to Garb The World and order one of their robes!

You can even get it in black if that's your thing. It's basically the same thing! I have one, it's hunter green.

They are custom made, so it takes a few weeks to get it, but on the flip side, they're totally customizable. You can add all types of trim, adjust the length, arms, pockets, etc.

The fabric is good (not thin and cheap), and the stitching is quality.

Waist it with a cord or belt for added pop and to give the robe shape.

BTW, how did black get to be such a man color?

And you won't look Islamic, you'll look like Harry Potter!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:And you won't look Islamic, you'll look like Harry Potter!
You're trying to convert me to Islamic fashion, aren't you?
Daryl...
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

A yukata is also a good option for a men's dress, and is worn with a belt called obi that gives it shape. However, a yukata does not have pockets, so you would need to use a bag for your things. You can get one in stores that sell Japanese clothing.
らき☆
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Darryl wrote:Hmmmm. Maybe cutting it to mini-skirt length would work?

Me, I'd wear a Templar tunic, but that has other issues. :shock:
You mean a Templar mini-tunic, don't you? :mrgreen:
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:BTW, how did black get to be such a man color?
Johnny Cash.
Daryl...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

As Moon has stated, we have other clothing sites supporting us such as Garb The World :D

On their home page, this page is for Men in Skirts, Kilts
Garb The World wrote:"This page was inspired by a men's right group to bring back skirts and
comfortable clothing. Garb The World supports the men in skirts movement."
If they are supporting us, we can support them by using their products.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote:If you want a man-dress that's not overly expensive (and made in the U.S.A. no less), then just head over to Garb The World and order one of their robes!
A lot of potential in these sorts of garments.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: If they are supporting us, we can support them by using their products.
Yes! And it's worthy of mention that that website was one of the first ones I read regarding "men in skirts", prior to that I had no idea that "men in skirts" was really a "thing"..

I was originally turned on to the Garb the World site from a link on the Greater Roanoke Pagan's meetup page back when I used to attend a few open circles in Roanoke VA.

As I've stated in other post, my first unbifurcated garment was the Wiccan robe purchased from this site, so yes, Garb the World does have some sentimental meaning to me for that reason.

In fact, considering the butterfly effect and all, if I hadn't have stumbled onto that link on the meetup site and explored the "men in skirts" idea... I'd never be here on skirtcafe! And likewise not enjoying the fashion freedom that skirts and dresses bring!
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Grok wrote:
moonshadow wrote:If you want a man-dress that's not overly expensive (and made in the U.S.A. no less), then just head over to Garb The World and order one of their robes!
A lot of potential in these sorts of garments.
Some outfits I might look into buying once things settle down a little here on the home front:

Folk Witch

Guinevere

I also like this one:
But I would loose the trousers and hat!
-Andrea