Complimented by Wife

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Complimented by Wife

Post by jamodu »

I was in the mood to dress up today, and wore matching Dorothy Perkins Navy Bodycon dress with Bhs Navy Cardigan, M&S Navy sheer Support Tights, and Clarks 'Carlita Cove' Navy Leather heels.

My Wife then complimented my outfit, claiming that I was better dressed than she was.
Last edited by jamodu on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Complimented by Wife

Post by Ray »

Sounds really smart. I like navy. It's understated and classy. Did the dress have any sleeves?
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Yes, that sounds smart. Any chance of a picture?
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Ray wrote:Did the dress have any sleeves?
It has short capped sleeves: which is why I wear matching cardigans during the cooler months. My experience is that few dresses for sale in the UK have long sleeves. Most of my dresses have such capped sleeves, but I also have two sleeveless, and some three-quarter length sleeve dresses.

Over the past three years I've been buying a selection of dresses, cardigans, tops, blouses, leggings/treggings, shoes, tights/stockings, underwear, night-dresses, and skirts - both new (in sales) and from online discount outlet stores. I dress in a conservative style that reflects my late middle-age.

Currently, such clothes occupy half of my wardrobe space. I have around a dozen skirts, and a similar number of day/work-wear dresses.
Last edited by jamodu on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

When your OH starts complimenting you it is a definite sign that you are maturing in your fashion sense. It is also very nice to have such support, a lot of the folks here do not.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

It wasn't always thus: there was a time when she would go ballistic at the mere mention of wanting to wear tights. However, in recent years, on experiencing leg problems associated with MS (peripheral neuropathy), she accepted my wearing support tights to alleviate the symptoms (better than taking oral medication). I've lost count on how many pairs of tights and stockings I now own.

However, wearing tights beneath trousers/pants sometimes isn't practical - especially during the warmer months. After I informed her that I had been wearing one of her elasticated waist skirts she softened her attitude to my wearing skirts (as she didn't want me wearing hers). I've built-up my alternative wardrobe since then. I find such clothes more comfortable to wear, and feel considerably more relaxed when so doing.

Oh, I should add; at that time, I underwent local day-surgery to remove a benign 'Lipoma' (a fatty lump) on my outer mid-thigh. The resultant stitches were extremely painful. It meant that wearing trousers/pants or shorts were tortuous. Wearing loose fitting skirts/dresses/night-dresses was the only respite. Unfortunately, after several months, the Lipoma grew back. More aggressive surgery removed more of it. Even more painful stitches, and longer recovery, meant I couldn't wear trousers/pants or shorts. Hence, why my Wife was so accommodating to my wearing skirts and dresses. I couldn't even wear tights during this time to alleviate my peripheral neuropathy.

Now, she occasionally 'complains' that I'm able to buy a better selection of clothes in my size than she can in hers.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I'm having a (Manly) Khaki-themed weekend, although, it's not intended for camouflage.

I'm wearing a Dorothy Perkins Khaki Bodycon dress, with matching M&S Khaki Cardigan, John Lewis' Mocha-coloured 40D Support Tights (first time trying), and, Black M&S Court shoes. I'm slim, so I can easily wear such Bodycon dresses.

It looks and feels great (and no, there won't be a photo: I'm camouflaged).
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

*sigh* Married over 30 years, and still not there yet. I once wrote a long explanation of why I dress the way I do, for a friend whose wife demanded that he stop, and thought it might be worth sharing with my wife.

Her responses: (1) Oh, I didn't realize it was a compulsion but just something you like to do as a preference and (2) Well, it's not your best trait but I'm willing to put up with it and keep my mouth shut because I know you put up with my more annoying traits without saying anything.

To this day I have no idea what of her personality traits she thinks I put up with, but whatever. At least she didn't demand a divorce the first time she saw me wearing a dress (or more accurately, didn't call off the wedding; I made a point of full disclosure BEFORE the wedding in case it was a show-stopper).

Also to this day her rule (request) still stands that I wear men's clothes, and obviously men's clothes, when our children are visiting even though they're coming up on 30. It's all a polite fiction: I told them when they were in their teens so they wouldn't have any worries that I was gay or about to have a sex change operation. But if the wife is happier pretending they don't know, I won't push it. I work at home and rarely venture out and we see our kids maybe a few hours a month if we're lucky. Pretending to be normal for those few moments is worth the peace in the family when I'm dressed the way I want the rest of the time.
Ralph!
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

I understand your dilemma. However, it does appear that your other half is somewhat compassionate about your alternative wardrobe needs.

Given the recent emergence of transgender issues in society, I believe our clothing equality cause has suffered a major set-back. I'm certain that none of us can now aspire to openly wear skirts/dresses in public without being labelled 'trans' rather than simply dressing alternatively (like the ladies do in 'male' attire).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamodu wrote:Given the recent emergence of transgender issues in society, I believe our clothing equality cause has suffered a major set-back. I'm certain that none of us can now aspire to openly wear skirts/dresses in public without being labelled 'trans' rather than simply dressing alternatively (like the ladies do in 'male' attire).
Indeed, and I suspect the only way to deal with it is to just power ahead and deal with the fallout -- if any -- accordingly. The "suspicion" was likely always there, thanks to the reputation that crossdressers generally (and mistakenly) have in the popular perception, but with the new full-court push by the transgender/transsexualists there's more baggage than ever piled atop what should really be a simple matter. After all, what one adorns himself with should not necessarily be some sort of "flag" stating what he/she/it is under the skin.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

What would be helpful if male so-called crossdressers would refrain from using feminine names. For some other forums I used the name Johanna but now I don't do that anymore. I could call myself a trans-woman since I am on estrogen and the effects on my appearance. But I regard myself as a cis-male with the name of John under all circumstances.

John
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

JohnH wrote:What would be helpful if male so-called crossdressers would refrain from using feminine names. John
I don't think that many would entertain that thought. They want to be as much of a woman as possible, even with the feminine names.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Maybe if men weren't so constrained in how to dress and groom themselves along with behavior there might not be such a desire for so many men to be as much like women as they can be.

John
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jamodu wrote:...Given the recent emergence of transgender issues in society, I believe our clothing equality cause has suffered a major set-back. I'm certain that none of us can now aspire to openly wear skirts/dresses in public without being labelled 'trans' rather than simply dressing alternatively (like the ladies do in 'male' attire).
People shouldn't get caught up in labels, stereotypes, and semantics.

And neither should we.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron