The Purpose For Preparation

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

The Purpose For Preparation

Post by JeffB1959 »

Back in the old days, it didn't much matter what I wore, or how I wore it, I won't deny that. However, as I began integrating women's clothes into my life as I became a fashion freestyler, beginning with skirts, then tops, then hosiery, and finally dresses, it occurred to me early on that it was important for me to look my very best if I was going to wear women's clothes in public as a man, and that meant doing prep work before each and every outing I undertake.

Because of the incredible (some might say mindblowing) variety when it comes to women's clothes, it was crucial for me to take as much time as I needed to properly pair tops, skirts, hosiery, shoes, outerwear, even handbags in order to assemble just the right outfit for a jaunt. And I take that prep time SERIOUSLY as it's not uncommon for me to spend upwards of an hour or more putting together an outfit, taking into account the surroundings I'll be in for the day, plus the season and the weather on a given day, to that end, I have separate tops and skirts for both spring/summer and fall/winter. I take all those factors into consideration when I select what I wear, because appearance is EVERYTHING to me because I don't want to be seen as a freak show because I'm a man wearing women's clothes in public AS A MAN. And I'm not afraid to say I'm rather anal, if not obsessed with presenting the best possible image for my outings. If I don't like what I see in the mirror, I don't leave the house. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Some might think that makes prep time a bore. Far from it, that time is fun for me because I get to wear women's clothes which I absolutely LOVE. When I stare at myself in the mirror when garbed in a nice top, a sharp skirt and a pair of heels, I can't help but smile because of how good I look. On occasion, I lose track of time while trying on clothes, but I see that as time well spent since I'm working towards my goal of putting together an ensemble I like for an outing, and like I said, appearance is vital to me, especially when I'm accepted, even complimented for my public presentation by the populace. Here's something else when it comes to the topic of prep time, I often find myself thinking about the next outfit to wear while driving home from an outing I had been on, putting the wheels in motion in advance. Prep time is valuable to me, and for anyone who fancies himself as a fashion freestyler, it should matter a lot to you as well.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Purpose For Preparation

Post by renesm1 »

And please keep doing this. You are doing a lot of the ground work to help move forward men's fashion, and I for one thank you for all your efforts!

You are an inspiration to us all.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Jeff I agree with you 100% when i had the opportunity to make a step up in what I was able to do in skirts I posed the question of what to wear to the cafe. I think there were major changes from what I started to my final outfits. I planned the outfits well in advance of the events.

I think I was able to make the good impression and this in a big part was due to the help and suggestions from the members of the cafe. This was all part of the prep work.

On a normal day its a skirt a top and sneakers. but on for special days I intend to continue asking the cafe for suggestions. and prepping my outfits
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I agree. When I started wearing skirts etc it dawned on me why women often take so long to get dressed. So many more choices than I ever had dressing in men's clothing. And I enjoy the hell out of it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I, too, now pay vastly more attention to what I'm going to wear than I ever did when I was still confined to trousers. Sometimes it's fun, and sometimes it's a chore, but it's usually worth it.

Certainly the wardrobe I have now is incredibly more "dangerous" than what I used to have, mainly because it's so varied now that it's very, very easy to make a whopping big mistake than when all I had a couple pairs of black trousers and several white dress shirts. Now it's different colours, different lengths, a whole bunch of different fabrics, and just more options than I'd ever imagined possible.

And I finally "get" the notion of, "I have nothing to wear" even when the closet is chock-full.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

There is absolutely no doubt that your prep time pays off massive dividends. You're outfits, presentation, and style are top-notch. Following your lead, I too take the time to make sure what I'm wearing is coordinated and presentable. I applaud the work you've put into your style and thank you for paving the way for guys like me.

Jeff M
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Definitely agree. In my case, I never seem to allow enough time, so I end up retreating back to established outfits.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Jeff you are doing a very good thing. You are pioneering the way on the east coast like PDXFashion is doing out on the west coast. Keep it up and soon we'll be able to wear what we want when we want and how we want just like the other 50% of our population can and does. They fought for it and so should we.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I'm glad some of the population puts some thought into preparation and looking good.
I am so tired of seeing ladies mostly that look like slobs. Ok guys also.
I am so tired of the ladies in the wild print leggings, yoga pants, pajama pants.
Today alone I saw 4 ladies wearing along tunic esque top, leggings, and boots.

At age 40 I dress a bit more rationaly than I did as a teen. Now I wear khakis and polo shirts.
In my teens I marched to my own freestyle fashion drum wearing quite often sweat workout pants and comfortable dress shoes. I also had a denim jacket that I had put a bunch of badges, pins, and patches on it. Think of Ace from DR. Who, but in denim.
However I did that years before I ever saw a rebroadcasted DR. Who episode with Ace in it. I started watching DR. WHO in 92. YES I'm a kilt and skirt wearing freestylin sci fi geek, Star Trek and Star Wars also!
Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I greatly appreciate your comments. I'm glad, and gratified that there are so many like minded folks here regarding the topic of prep time which is important and can make the difference between being accepted for your appearance while in public, or being laughed at if you get it wrong.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Although I admit I don't spend quite that long putting together an outfit, I will say that I do spend more time on clothing selection than I did when I wore trousers every day.

Of course, the work uniforms are all the same so it's pretty easy.

As far as my other skirt/dress outfits I might lay a few options out on the bed before making my decision. It's never more than a minute or two. My rigs are not quite as professional, and tend to be on the flamboyant side. This makes the outfits easier to put together since sometimes mismatching and loudness is part of the fun for me.

But I will agree when I'm trying to look "nice" in a skirt, I do spend a little more time putting the look together.

What's ironic is I have a certain meeting coming up in a couple weeks, in which I need to dress nice. This is one event where I won't be wearing a skirt and in fact I need to actually pick up a nice trousered look. I find I've forgotten how to dress like the typical "traditional American man"! :lol: Eh... I'll find something. I'll post a photo on Moon's phases, though it won't quite fit the theme of this site.

It's also ironic that my only nice clothes are "women's" clothes! :D If this type of meeting was more gender equal, then I actually have a couple of nice skirted looks buried deep in my flickr album.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's also ironic that my only nice clothes are "women's" clothes!
This is not entirely surprising because it is actually easier to put together a "nice" ensemble from the other side of the aisle than from the normal one. The colour palette is richer, the fabrics finer, and the fit better if one is very lucky because the fit is typically closer to the body which can be very flattering to guys in decent shape.

However, it's not entirely one-way, and I think manufacturers are starting to get the hint. The last time I had to deal with the legal system, I'd lost so much weight that I needed a new pair of trousers -- and amazingly a pair of men's trousers showed up in a microfibre fabric that was delightful [0]. I paired those off with a men's sateen dress shirt, a strongly contrasting tie, and one of my fancier black waistcoats to very good effect. With a freshly-trimmed beard and hair very simply tied back in with a pony-elastic I was quite the contrast to the soulless and brainless shell of what turned me into a widower so many moons earlier -- and that was quite satisfying. I also spent a little while contemplating the statement I wanted to make, and nailed it.
What's ironic is I have a certain meeting coming up in a couple weeks, in which I need to dress nice. This is one event where I won't be wearing a skirt and in fact I need to actually pick up a nice trousered look.
Seek out bright colours as contrast pieces and nice fabrics; they are out there (I got most of the rig above from Penney's save for the waistcoat and tie). Other places likely have similar, but you will have to look. I'd suggest black for the trousers as (a) it's ubiquitous, (b) goes with everything, and (c) sets off other colours wonderfully.

[0] I've put on enough weight since then that I cannot fit into the 32" waist any longer. I regard this as good. I was way too scrawny at the time, but the slenderness enhanced the effect of my height. I'm glad to be back in the 180s now instead of the 160s. (If I'd dropped to my secondary-school weight of 150 I swore I was going to get medical help.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:[0] I've put on enough weight since then that I cannot fit into the 32" waist any longer. I regard this as good. I was way too scrawny at the time, but the slenderness enhanced the effect of my height. I'm glad to be back in the 180s now instead of the 160s. (If I'd dropped to my secondary-school weight of 150 I swore I was going to get medical help.)
Wow, it's hard to believe as you're so much taller than I am that we are about the same weight!

Guess I'm a more pudgy than I thought! :lol:

All told, I'm doing better though, I was getting close to 200 lbs a few years ago, I backed off the junk food a little and now have been hovering around 185 for the last couple years.

I can say though, dieting is tough! I do love my junk food and have the dental fillings to prove it! :)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: a weighty problem ;)

I would love to weight 200 lbs again........
(instead of waving at it as it goes by in the window of the scales).

OK - - Last Christmas I did not need extra padding for my Santa Suit.
It was all N A T U R A L :oops:

I'm at 294 lbs now but I MUST get the weight OFF.
Health issues are starting to appear - I don't want them :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Six foot one-an-a-bit (still) and 185-190lbs leaves not a lot around the spare tyre. It's the galley slavery, you see. Long hard rows at w/ends on the water and about three torture sessions in between, evenings in my private little gym. Zero junk food nearly....the odd bar of chockie.

I'm an endorphins junkie and the regular cardio that produces them also keeps the pipes clear. Zero pills at nigh-on 75 can't be bad. I also consider myself very lucky. So 34"/86Cm has been sitting nicely round my middle for 50-odd years now.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !