Grocery Shopping

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Grocery Shopping

Post by Bertino56 »

At Safeway today, the female grocery checker asked me, "Are you
wearing a kilt?"
I collected my thoughts for a second or two and replied, "No, it's
actually a unisex skirt. It works real good for both men and women."
She seemed pleased and satisfied and that ended it. For the record,
it was my camouflage bayou skirt from Cabela's, as near to unisex as
you'll ever find without being Skirtcraft.
Also for the record, that's the first time any person has asked me
about my wearing a skirt, and it was -- Grocery Shopping!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It can happen anywhere.

About six months ago I was walking across a parking lot to my car and a woman came up to me excitedly and asked, "Is that a kilt??!!!"

I answered that it was, and showed her the pleats and the apron, and then she asked, "Can I watch you walk around?"

I didn't see how I could stop her from watching me cross a public parking lot but I did walk a ten-foot circle for her and she was thrilled. "Thank you, thank you," she answered, still excited, and then I walked away to my car with her still smiling.

Nothing like that ever happened to me when I was wearing pants.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:It can happen anywhere.

About six months ago I was walking across a parking lot to my car and a woman came up to me excitedly and asked, "Is that a kilt??!!!"

I answered that it was, and showed her the pleats and the apron, and then she asked, "Can I watch you walk around?"

I didn't see how I could stop her from watching me cross a public parking lot but I did walk a ten-foot circle for her and she was thrilled. "Thank you, thank you," she answered, still excited, and then I walked away to my car with her still smiling.

Nothing like that ever happened to me when I was wearing pants.
Heh, indeed, me either. :)

When I used to wear tartan kilts I frequently got stopped, usually by American female tourists, to have photos taken with them. Last summer walking across a parking lot shortcut to my home wearing my grey skirt and a tie and sweater, a woman in a car wanted to take my picture. She asked me if I called what I was wearing a kilt, and I told her that I just called it a skirt, to which she replied "good for you".
Daryl...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

^That is one of the reasons I stopped wearing tartan kilts altogether after 2011. Got tired of being treated as the proverbial Thanksgiving Day dining room table centerpiece wherever I went. In a denim or other solid color skirt, no one bothers me. Except for possibly inebriated people who assume that a guy in a skirted garment is a scotsman, coming from some highland festival or a parade.

Now, if I'm wearing something that's patterned, like the outfit in my avatar, all bets are off.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Kilted_John wrote:^That is one of the reasons I stopped wearing tartan kilts altogether after 2011. Got tired of being treated as the proverbial Thanksgiving Day dining room table centerpiece wherever I went. In a denim or other solid color skirt, no one bothers me. Except for possibly inebriated people who assume that a guy in a skirted garment is a scotsman, coming from some highland festival or a parade.

Now, if I'm wearing something that's patterned, like the outfit in my avatar, all bets are off.
-J
Yep, go just far enough and all that stops except for drunks. I assume that the addled mind lurching about for connections just assumes that the first one that presents itself is the one to act on.
Daryl...