Kilts.

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Kilts.

Post by STEVIE »

Get this, "Kilts" are not the way forward for freedom or freestyle.
Sure, wear the UK, or which ever version you happen to patronise.
No problem, your cash, your choice!
However, the "kilt" is only a choice of one.
Does that sound familiar?
Steve.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilts.

Post by Kilted_John »

It does sound familiar. And is also how I tend to operate. I usually only kilt when I'm going to be out with the whole family, or when I feel like I should tone down the fact that I am skirted. The rest of the time, normal skirts (and dresses as of late) are what I wear.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Quite honestly, I never even tried the traditional kilt route, the "rules" being almost as restrictive as those for conventional men's drab. So, the jump to skirts was the initial gambit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Both T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia fame) and Teddy Roosevelt had nothing but disdain for half-measures. It's probably under their influence, and the incredible prices of good ones, that I never bothered with kilts.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
DonP

Post by DonP »

I understand the goal is complete acceptance and you prefer not to wear kilts, but I think kilt wearers help to further your cause. First, the greater the number of skirts, of any kind, worn by women or men helps to make them more commonplace. Second, the easiest way to increase that number among men is through kilts. With the advent of utility kilts the restrictions and uniformity of the old school kilter is being pushed aside. I think it's a first step for some, and for others, it will be as far as they are willing to go. Either way, they are both on your side.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

DonP wrote:I understand the goal is complete acceptance and you prefer not to wear kilts, but I think kilt wearers help to further your cause.
I never implied that kilt-wearers don't "further the cause", only that I found the "rules" attached to the formal (and semi-formal) kilt rig more restrictive than I would have liked. Absolutely the more folks that wear single-tube garments the better.
Last edited by crfriend on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Looks like auto-corrupt got me again
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think most of us started on our path to wearing skirts with purchases from the second hand salvation army type stores. unfortunately you don't find to many true kilts there. I am still trying to get my son to spring for a 511 utility kilt for me. but at US $74 + ill stick with skirts
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have to admit, I don't quite get the jist of this thread... what exactly are we saying? :?

Gonna just toss this on the table, forgive me if I sway off topic... I own no kilts. I don't have an issue with people who do, or wear them (why would I after all?). But I just have no desire to have one.

Although it would be handy for those times when a certain "formality" is called for. But then again, I'm not a formal type of guy. Generally I only have to yield my clothing freedom while at work and they provide a full uniform anyway.

If I get invited to a wedding I will go on the condition I can wear a tasteful (non-hippie) skirted outfit that I already own, and believe it or not, I have a few. If that's too much to ask... don't invite me then!
Same goes for churches or any other function I may attend with one exception... funerals. Since they tend to be highly emotional, and out of respect for the deceased I would wear a nice suit.

With one exception...

MY FUNERAL
You hear that Jenn....!? Don't let mom talk you into putting a pair of trousers on me before they cremate me. Benny got to wear his bibs and I want to wear my skirt.... make sure the colors DON'T MATCH! :lol: By God it's my day! I will haunt your ass!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I think there are many of us out there whose OH will accept a kilt, but not a skirt.
Certainly on this (east) side of the pond, a 5 yard 'casual' kilt is around £30, with a similar 8 yard at around £50. These are obviously imported garments, but fine for everyday wear. In this climate the knee length kilt hose greatly help in the cooler months, but aren't necessary in the 'summer' (the rain's warmer!).
I know these prices aren't the $2-3 from a thrift store, but tend to equate with the cost of tr****rs.
I also have a custom made 5 yarder in St Piran (Cornish) tartan, but that cost nearer £350! and is therefore reserved for 'high days and holidays' - it's also dry clean only.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:
DonP wrote:I understand the goal is complete acceptance and you prefer not to wear kilts, but I think kilt wearers help to further your cause.
I never implied that kilt-wearers "further the cause", only that I found the "rules" attached to the formal (and semi-formal) kilt rig more restrictive than I would have liked. Absolutely the more folks that wear single-tube garments the better.
Me thinks there is an omission of "don't" or "didn't" somewhere in there Carl?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:Me thinks there is an omission of "don't" or "didn't" somewhere in there Carl?
I think my browser's auto-corrupt feature struck the word. I need to find a way to turn that wretched bug off.

I fixed the original, and thanks for finding it.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

crfriend wrote:
Disaffected.citizen wrote:Me thinks there is an omission of "don't" or "didn't" somewhere in there Carl?
I think my browser's auto-corrupt feature struck the word. I need to find a way to turn that wretched bug off.

I fixed the original, and thanks for finding it.
Does the phpBB software include the old Microsoft "paperclip" assistant? You remember the one; "It looks like you're writing a letter, would you like me to *&##er it up or can you do it yourself?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:Does the phpBB software include the old Microsoft "paperclip" assistant? You remember the one; "It looks like you're writing a letter, would you like me to *&##er it up or can you do it yourself?"
No, phpBB doesn't include anything of the sort, and if it did, I'd have stripped it out by now. In my case, it's Firefox making assorted changes on the fly without my necessarily noticing them; it seems great at inserting the wrong word or dropping things that should appear.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:In my case, it's Firefox making assorted changes on the fly without my necessarily noticing them; it seems great at inserting the wrong word or dropping things that should appear.
I use Firefox and don't have that problem. I know that there is a spelling program in Firefox. You can go to tools then options then under advanced there is a place to check for spelling as you go. Hope this helps. :)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Kilts are great things, and you don't have to add all the accessories and accoutrements if you don't want to. I was in my grey 21st Century kilt on Hogmanay (NewYear's Eve) with a grey top, black t-shirt and big grey woolly socks. It looks great and is utterly socially acceptable. Even with a more traditional tartan one, you can mix things up a bit. I can most certainly go the whole hog with my tartan kilt - and I do, for black tie occasions - but otherwise, it's a rugby shirt, kilt without sporran, and walking/hiking socks with sturdy boots.

The big issue is cost. My kilts as described above were both over £300 (US$400) each; my kilt suit - which is a thing of beauty - was £1,400 (US$1,800). They are all made in Scotland, and that's important to me. However, before you bluster "outrageous" etc, consider this. My tartan kilt is over 20 years old. I have worn it on about 50 occasions. It's got decades ahead of it.

That's value for money in my book. If you want a proper kilt, then it WILL cost you but it will be with you for life. I understand those who go for the much cheaper options - and they have their place. I quite fancy a Utilikilt myself...

I also like skirts too,,, time and a place
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.