A dress for all men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

A dress for all men

Post by moonshadow »

So,

Last night, we decided to pop in a DVD I hadn't looked at in some time. We watched Clash of the Titans. Of note is this is the first time I watched the movie since I've started wearing unbifurcated garments.

Right off the bat, the first thing I noticed Perseus (the main character) was essentially wearing a male dress! As I watched the movie, I noticed that very few if any of the male characters were wearing anything that resembled trousers!

To say the least, those costumes were quite bad-ass!

I'd post some pictures of the movie, but you all are just going to have to google it, the net is slow as molasses tonight. Coming in at about 20kbps. We are running text only. Waiting on a picture to load is about like waiting for an organ transplant.

Skirt cafe is about the only site I can visit on my computer now, everything else takes 5 minutes per page to load. Skirt cafe is coming in at about 10 seconds per load. :(
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A dress for all men

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:To say the least, those costumes [in Clash of the Titans were quite bad-ass!
As were most in the classical period. Only barbarians -- barbarians, I tell you! -- wore trousers. Civilised men didn't go for two tubes when one would do.
I'd post some pictures of the movie, but you all are just going to have to google it, the net is slow as molasses tonight. Coming in at about 20kbps. We are running text only. Waiting on a picture to load is about like waiting for an organ transplant.
Sorry about your 'Net speed, but on the assertion on organ transplants I can only offer two words: "Dick Cheney".
Skirt cafe is about the only site I can visit on my computer now, everything else takes 5 minutes per page to load. Skirt cafe is coming in at about 10 seconds per load. :(
You have a hard-nosed and opinionated Barista to thank that it works at all for you under limited conditions. When I accepted the reins from Bob a very long time ago (or so it feels) I was still on dialup, and until quite recently my main "sit-in-front-of" machine was a 90 MHz Intel system running an ancient, but very heavily customised, version of Linux. That's a hard demand to meet, and I also demand graceful degradation so folks with screen-readers can make use of the site. The modern mentality of, "Everybody has 10-meg speeds" is inane and pernicious. For all I know there may be guys on Antarctica reading the forum over satellite links which can be truly pitiful (although even I would question the utility of a skirt on Antarctica).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:To say the least, those costumes [in Clash of the Titans were quite bad-ass!
As were most in the classical period. Only barbarians -- barbarians, I tell you! -- wore trousers. Civilised men didn't go for two tubes when one would do.
Sorry about your 'Net speed, but on the assertion on organ transplants I can only offer two words: "Dick Cheney".
You have a hard-nosed and opinionated Barista to thank that it works at all for you under limited conditions. When I accepted the reins from Bob a very long time ago (or so it feels) I was still on dialup, and until quite recently my main "sit-in-front-of" machine was a 90 MHz Intel system running an ancient, but very heavily customised, version of Linux. That's a hard demand to meet, and I also demand graceful degradation so folks with screen-readers can make use of the site. The modern mentality of, "Everybody has 10-meg speeds" is inane and pernicious. For all I know there may be guys on Antarctica reading the forum over satellite links which can be truly pitiful (although even I would question the utility of a skirt on Antarctica).
Sorry - I had to look up broadband in Antarctica. Apparently, they get up to 50Mbps, but other reports peg it at around 10Mbps.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote:Sorry - I had to look up broadband in Antarctica. Apparently, they get up to 50Mbps, but other reports peg it at around 10Mbps.
That's probably only when the satellites are in precisely the optimal geometry. To the best of my knowledge nobody's laid fibre to there as of yet.

I'd make a snide crack about parts of Africa, but they may be ahead of parts of the USA in terms of bandwidth.

The above having been said, I do make an attempt to have the forum open to the broadest segment of users possible -- including those with limited bandwidth and computing horsepower. Hard-pressed, it is actually possible to read, and post to, the forum via text-only browsers (e.g. Lynx) -- and, quite honestly, I see no good reason to change that. See "hard-nosed" above.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

crfriend wrote:

Carl:
As a humble user of a screen reader , thankyou!!
Your hard work is appreciated.

Slainte'
Bill &Sir Brinkley the Exuberant
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

wsherman wrote:As a humble user of a screen reader , thankyou!! Your hard work is appreciated.
You are most welcome, sir. {extends a virtual hand in friendship} I try.

Please give Sir Brinkley a scratch behind the ears for me.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote:...I do make an attempt to have the forum open to the broadest segment of users possible -- including those with limited bandwidth and computing horsepower. Hard-pressed, it is actually possible to read, and post to, the forum via text-only browsers (e.g. Lynx) -- and, quite honestly, I see no good reason to change that.
I completely agree with you and I hope you will continue to keep it this way. There have been times when I have had to fall back on an older browser and it was so helpful to find I could still read this forum.

I run a website for an industrial archaeology group and have had to fight tooth and nail to keep it accessible. The whizz-kid modernisers would have excluded about a third of our membership by now if they had been allowed to have their way.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

crfriend wrote:
renesm1 wrote:Sorry - I had to look up broadband in Antarctica. Apparently, they get up to 50Mbps, but other reports peg it at around 10Mbps.
That's probably only when the satellites are in precisely the optimal geometry. To the best of my knowledge nobody's laid fibre to there as of yet.

I'd make a snide crack about parts of Africa, but they may be ahead of parts of the USA in terms of bandwidth.

The above having been said, I do make an attempt to have the forum open to the broadest segment of users possible -- including those with limited bandwidth and computing horsepower. Hard-pressed, it is actually possible to read, and post to, the forum via text-only browsers (e.g. Lynx) -- and, quite honestly, I see no good reason to change that. See "hard-nosed" above.
Yes most of it is mostly satellite, but the parts of Antartica that have Argentinian bases on it do have fibre. My guess is that it's that bit of the continent that's the peninsula.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Now that the internet is back to normal, I can finally post a picture of some of the mighty cool mens dresses/skirts I saw on the movie...

This was a pretty good shot:
Pretty short too! Shorter than I would have thought.

Yep, men have lost something special with trousers....

Here's a few more favorites from ye ole pin board...

(Above) The man on the left looks very elegant!

(Above) Back to dresses, here's an outfit that's clearly from the other side of the aisle, and yet looks manly-bad ass.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

moonshadow wrote:Back to dresses, ... and yet looks manly-bad ass.

I'll agree the dress is flattering to either sex so on a male "manly" would be an apt adjective, but what is it about the dress that strikes you as "bad-ass" or did you get distracted by the phallic symbol he's fondling.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The babe in the manly-bad ass dress with the Springfield -03 better not plan on using any of the
ammo in the can with her heeled foot on it - 120 cartridges 12 GAUGE !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:The babe in the manly-bad ass dress with the Springfield -03 better not plan on using any of the ammo in the can with her heeled foot on it - 120 cartridges 12 GAUGE !
Yeah, the heels on a gravel road aren't very practical either.

And I'm not into the makeup.

But I've seen this photo before and always liked it. I think it's the gall and the incongruity.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:or did you get distracted by the phallic symbol he's fondling.
Ahh.... GUILTY as charged!

Still I think the backdrop helps too, and despite the makeup he does have a "mans head".

I rather like the makeup, however I don't have the time nor inclination to bother with it myself. The fact is, I just fidget with my face too much, and I'm not particularly artsy, I'd wind up looking like MeMe off of Drew Carey! :lol:
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Who cares if it is the wrong ammo or that he would have trouble walking in the heels its a great picture :D
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:Who cares if it is the wrong ammo or that he would have trouble walking in the heels its a great picture.
Yeah, a tough guy in a black dress, sheer black hose, spike heels, and makeup. Oh, the incongruity!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron