Tops That Go With Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jjjjohanne

Tops That Go With Skirts

Post by jjjjohanne »

I want to know: What you have found to wear on top that looks good with skirts?

I have worn a couple of my men's tops with my outfits. However, I feel like they do not look good with a skirt. Perhaps I need to alter them to be more fitted.

I find it VERY hard to find women's tops that look good on me as well. The problems:
  • * I do not want flowers, frills, etc.
    * Tops are often too short for me.
    * Neck openings show too much skin.
    * Sleeves are too short.
    * I don't have breasts.
    * I get smaller going from the top to the bottom of my torso.
What works for you?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tops That Go With Skirts

Post by oldsalt1 »

I don't know if you are in the US If you are go to Kohl's They have a lot of ladies tops that would be to your liking look at APT 9 and croft and barrow . They go well with skirts but are not overly female . IN fact I have worn some of the apt 9 shirts with pants. I wear a men's large and the XL and OX fit well
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Muscle shirts are a good option , but then I like working out.

You may also try polo shirts to look preppier or just button down casual shirts.

Cheers

Tes
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mostly t-shirts, woven shirtswith a collar, pullover sweaters, and sweatshirts for me.

I summer I often wear long sleeve t-shirts with a contrasting short-sleeve t-shirt over them, for a bit of a layered look.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Up till now, I have mostly been wearing t shirts and thin sweaters. At work, this is usually has a staff vest over, from the point of looks, you could describe as a waistcoat. In dressier situations I have a few waistcoats that can provide the same look. I usually wear the shirts untucked. Recently, in order to get a bit more style into my looks, I have been wearing some dress shirts, tucked in, so far without ties. One of them is of typical cut, but in a turquoise, or blue green colour, and decorative "panels"

When wearing the dress shirts, I have to buy them fitted, or tailor them myself as I cannot stand them bunching at the waistband. I have been experimenting with shirt stays to keep them smooth. I am still working on dresses, but before I wear them in public, the look and fit has to be just right.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I wear anything that I would wear with shorts or trousers. Dress shirts, T-shirts, roll necks, strappy women's tops. As long as the colours match then it's a possibility. Of course it's not as simple as that and I will end up trying on several top/skirt combinations before settling on the final ensemble. Don't think for one minute that you can't wear men's tops with skirts because you can. It's the overall look that counts. If you feel happy that it looks good then go with it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Sinned summed it up pretty well. especially "pretty much anything that works with pants or shorts" and 'if you like the look, run with it.'

To be more precise, with my more casual skirts or more casual situations I'll wear polo shirts. From there, you can wear just about any sort of long sleeved shirt with your skirts. Again, gauge the shirt to the skirt and occasion. That is, how casual or formal is the occasion? And choose your shirt and skirt accordingly. Keep in mind, half the fun of skirts is that there is a lot more color and style options just so long as you coordinate the colors and look. Paradoxically, my skirted suits look great with my white dress shirts, especially the ones with French cuffs.

Because I like the feel of the fabrics, I also like blouses. Even though I don't have boobs to fil them out, they still drape nicely. If you give them another chance, keep in mind that they supposed to "blouse" at the waistline. The challenge is getting them to do that evenly all the way across the front and unless you have eyes in the back of your head, you simply have to guess how you're doing in the back.

Again paradoxically, the more fitted and straight your shirts, the better they'll look.

I don't care for short-sleeved t-shirts and skirts, but that's me. Nearly every other type of top will look good as well. Look at the Pics and Looks, especially JeffB's and mine for ideas.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I wear skirts in warm weather so basically any top I would have worn with shorts (which I don't wear any more); Polo tops, T-shirts and tank tops. I used to have the shirts hanging out, to hide a bit of a belly, but now I loosely tuck them in because most shirts cover too much of the skirt and some nearly reach the hem. I find very few shirts that fit across the shoulders that are not too long.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I have had my greatest successes by adding layers. Normally a cardigan. I try not to dress like a grandparent. Right now, layering is very popular and there are a lot of options. So I do find a few. But again, I find cardigans look nice and hopefully decrease the emphasis on my shoulders.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If you notice women are experts at layering and will wear a T-shirt, strappy top over and then a cardigan over that. So yes, go with the layering. It can be very effective. Offers a virtually infinite choice as well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I've managed to find a few womens tops without breast darts that I wear out and about with skirts. These I found at a local second hand shop. I usually go at least once a month and sometimes 2 or 3 depending how often I'm in the area. Seldom do I find anything worth buying, I end up leaving with nothing more times than I do with something.

I too don't like the flowery (look at me I'm a woman) types of womens tops. They have to be more subdued and looking like a mans cut shirt with buttons and a collar, however made with a more feminine material.

I also have a few men's shirts that go well with skirts.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I think I have four blouses that were marketed to women, all in the 2X to 3X size range to accommodate my shoulders, that I wear semi-frequently. I am on the extreme end of what's marketed to women, so this makes it difficult at best to find nice stuff.

One blouse is an absolutely exquisite red silk number with ruffles on the front and sheer sleeves. This one doesn't get much mileage out and about because it's dry-clean only and I don't want to mess it up. Others are more utilitarian and get frequent-enough use when I'm willing to carry a purse to hold my wallet (which usually rides in the breast-pocket of a male-marketed dress shirt and under a waistcoat).

Hilariously, I have a female-marketed blouse and a male-marketed shirt of precisely the same shade of teal and the only differences are in fabric and the lack of a pocket in the female-marketed design.

Equally hilariously, both of my "puffy" shirts with ruffles and flounces were male-marketed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Potbelly MacKraken

Post by Potbelly MacKraken »

I've found several options in the male line that have that "feminine" look that goes well with a skirt, I think anyway.

Several UK/European based clothing stores are coming out with men's cap sleeved, fitted shirts, like the following:

http://www.boohoo.com/restofworld/invt/mzz80472

http://us.asos.com/search/men's-cap-sle ... eeve+shirt

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/topman-cap- ... =item_page

Or rolled sleeved muscle shirts like:
http://us.asos.com/search/men's-cap-sle ... eeve+shirt

Asos has some men's scoop neck shirts that are fitted as well, which is what a lot of women wear with their skirts; they had some that had rolled, almost cap sleeves that were fitted too...not sure if they still have them.

http://us.asos.com/men/t-shirts-tanks/s ... ?cid=16852

Fitted shirts go best with skirts, I've found, whether t-shirts or button downs, etc., tho there's a trend in women's fashion right now for "boyfriend" shirts and tops, which are basically bigger, baggier versions of women's tops/shirts, longer sleeves, bigger width, etc.

I like to wear these cap-sleeved t-shirts from the men's line with cardigans as well; a lot of women go with that look, a skirt, a t-shirt top, and a cardigan...I figure if it's good enough for women in casual and work/more formal situations, it's good enough for a man. Asos has some good men's cardigans that are more in a "feminine" style.

http://www.asos.com/search/men's-cardig ... +cardigans

Keep an eye on what women often wear with their skirts, and try to find a male equivalent. Consult pinterest as well for top ideas with skirts.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Cap sleeved T-shirts?

The closest thing that I remember to men wearing cap sleeved T-shirts is
back when men wore regular sleeved T-shirts and didn't have pockets to
hold their pack of cigarettes. So they put them on the sleeve of their arm,
and rolled up the T-shirt sleeve to hold the cigarettes making somewhat of
a cap sleeved T-shirt.

I guess I may be letting my age out a bit, but as it has been pointed out so
many times here, fashion seems to come around every few generations. LOL
amtriod

Post by amtriod »

I just noticed that 3 years ago here
I rejected skirts in favor of shorts below my dress.
That has changed.
I now love to wear skirts instead of shorts.
I have a vast collect from Salvation Army
all with elastic waist.