Masculinely feminine or femininely masculine?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Masculinely feminine or femininely masculine?

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:I will try and get a photo. 8)
This you must!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:"Why were you wearing a pixie outfit at work?" [...]
If it was abusive, and it reads like it was, the only comeback would be: "The reason was that we made £100 for charity. Why won't you climb down?"

If it's that bad, and you're willing, play hard-ball: "Well, then, no more trousers for you. No more crossdressing in this household. Full stop. Skirts and dresses ONLY for you going forward and trousers for me. How's that sound?"

And then wait for the papers to be served, because she will call your bluff, and will have the complete and absolute backing of the legal system. Expect to lose everything. Then move on making sure she cannot attach future earnings or pensions.

This sucks, and I feel for you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:If it was abusive, and it reads like it was, the only comeback would be: "The reason was that we made £100 for charity. Why won't you climb down?"

If it's that bad, and you're willing, play hard-ball: "Well, then, no more trousers for you. No more crossdressing in this household. Full stop. Skirts and dresses ONLY for you going forward and trousers for me. How's that sound?"
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:thewave:
:toast:

AAAAAANNNNDDDDD......

Lest we forget.... since we're playing the tradition card...

Traditionally, women are to be silent regardless of what's going on!

Now I'm not saying I agree with this, but I'm saying that the wife can't have it both ways....

YOU'RE EITHER EQUAL- OR YOU'RE NOT!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Before we get tied up in cheering, let's recall the very, very, dark downside I mentioned. In practise, this is not a two-way street. This is more akin to a raging torrent that men must swim upstream against, with the occasional bear waiting for an easy meal.

My commentary above must not be construed as advice. To take it so might be tantamount to suicide in the modern realm.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

crfriend wrote:Before we get tied up in cheering, let's recall the very, very, dark downside I mentioned. In practise, this is not a two-way street. This is more akin to a raging torrent that men must swim upstream against, with the occasional bear waiting for an easy meal.
I come across divorced women in their 40's and 50's who moan they cannot find good men. Gee, I wonder why.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JohnH wrote:I come across divorced women in their 40's and 50's who moan they cannot find good men. Gee, I wonder why.
Indeed. And the tragedy perpetuates itself. Needlessly.

So many souls, so little time, and so few opportunities because of closed minds.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

No, Carl, Moon, no, no, no, this time it wasn't done in a nasty tone of voice more of an enquiring, mildly disapproving voice. D. I. V. O. R. C. E. isn't on the cards or in the near future as far as I know. She said that I was busy so she didn't approach me. The problem with the written, as opposed to spoken word, is that there is no inflection passed along. I know that she is often critical of my skirts but in this instance, not, really. I can possibly see why you would think that as I always thought a pixie was female and an elf either. So she was ( was she? ) accusing me, in her own way of dressing up as a female, which I wasn't. Not sure what she saw because I can be very flamboyant and do a bow, that sort of thing and become somewhat familiar with customers so she may have seen what can become a bit of an act at times. Difficult to put into words without seeing me in action but then I've always said that I am not a conventional checkout person. I would greet the customer with the words, "Hello there, come on but it'll cost you." And then explain the outfit and the charity. I'm certainly not backward in coming forward at times.

BTW I earned a duvet day for my work yesterday. Hope to earn another one on Monday. Sometimes, from the lack of reaction to my costume, I got the impression that I could walk down the street in it and get absolutely NO reaction to it, so why would a skirt or fairly mundane dress generate a reaction.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's excellent news Sinned, and I am most happy to stand corrected.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:That's excellent news Sinned, and I am most happy to stand corrected.
I second that!
-Andrea
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Darryl, on the outfit that seemed unnoticed, something like it could work, but the jacket is too long for the skirt to my eye, especially in the buttoned picture. Either a shorter jacket or a longer skirt would do better. My choice would be towards the latter.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
DonP

Post by DonP »

They all look way too feminine for my taste.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Nothing feminine about this...

-Andrea
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

DonP wrote:They all look way too feminine for my taste.
Then there are outfits like this:
らき☆
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, all that's missing from the pic is the SWORD. An enormous two handed Claymore wielded overhead would top it off.

Judah, I've seen pics of outfits like this before but can't remember what the genre is called. Very little-girlish, sort of Strawberry Shortcakeish. Not sure if it's really feminine either - sort of too OTT really. Not to my taste.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I think the picture in Moon's post is a question of hanging on to the wolf before it eats the photographer!

Judah's post appears to show an anime costume.