Shopping Tip

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Shopping Tip

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Recently a friend of mine suggested, via Facebook, that I check out Thredup.com. Boy, am I glad I did.

OK, I've spent more money than I meant to, but Sunday we threw a surprise birthday party for a friend of mine. For the occasion I wore the black, leather mini I bought at a local resale shop. I paired it with a blouse that had originally come from Nordstrom's that I bought at Thredup.com for $19.99. It still had its original tags on it including Nordstrom's showing the original MSRP of $186! To be fair to the seller, the blouse had been knocked down twice before it left Nordy's.

Clearly, the original purchaser never wore, if she'd heard how many compliments I got for that blouse, she'd still be kicking herself tonight!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shopping Tip

Post by JohnH »

How do you know the original purchaser was a she? The purchaser could have been a he. :lol: Anyway that is quite a bargain.

John
jc.33

Post by jc.33 »

Another site similar to thredup is swap.com. I've bought from both and both are good.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

One thing I DON'T like about suggested sites here is I can't
'browse' before registering. If I have to 'register' or 'open
and account' before even looking at the merchandise, I stop
dead in my tracks and move on.

That's what happened at Thredup.com, so I'll look elsewhere.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I have to agree with NOT having to register just to browse. I move on also.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
jc.33

Post by jc.33 »

unfortunately, both require accounts. Swap is worse in that it uses Facebook.

On a side note, been into dresses lately (integrated top so thats nice, unflattering cuts and extra material in the chest not so much) and visited some local resale stores. All 4 shops were awesome, no issues even with using the fitting room and as a bonus I had a worker in the last store help me search for complimentary item to a dress I picked out.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Yes, I hate having to set up an account just to look, but at least w/ ThredUp it was worth it.

Not surprised about the resale shop not only letting you use the fitting room but also helping. A) That's been my experience too and B) they want to make a sale.

Kay, my beautiful fashion consultant friend from church, gave me a bunch of dresses she didn't want to move. Only half of them fit me, but one I liked so much I stayed up to all hours of the morning to secure and move the fasteners so I could wear it the next day to church. The house she is moving from is literally right next door so I walked sashayed over so I could show her how it looked on me.

"Very cute!," was her appraisal. It's a black or navy (not sure which), full-length, chiffon wrap-dress. Kay went on to say that she felt dresses worked better on me than skirts because I don't have a waist.

Given that neither do most of us guys, those of you who haven't tried dresses, might give them a whirl. When you find one that kind of bunches at the bust chest line and is just a squoshe tight at the waist, look for full length darts that on the underside are only turned back on one side. In those situations, you can take out the dart wash it to relax the holes cut by the needle that originally sewed the dart, iron it and voila! A dress that may fit PERFECTLY!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.