Leggings

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Leggings

Post by Gusto10 »

Why not use crotchless tights?
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Gusto10 wrote:Why not use crotchless tights?
Seems like that would expose the family jewels to an awful lot of chafing if worn under pants, and expose the rest of the world to the family jewels if worn under a skirt or kilt.
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mmmm.... just to be clear, I do wear underwear when wearing leggings and tights... dont most people?? :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I'm curious as to what makes this useful for dancing. I would have thought the purpose would have been to aid in the warmth of legs. :D
Once warmed up -- and dancers have to warm up just like football players lest they injure themselves -- they keep the legs warm during periods of rest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

moonshadow wrote:Mmmm.... just to be clear, I do wear underwear when wearing leggings and tights... dont most people?? :?
:oops: It depends.

Milady Karen of the Golden Smile went off when I wondered about wearing additional underwear with my support hose. Unless it was a sub-zero environment outside and one needed to layer for survival, at which time one might pull tights/leggings over the support hose, or both in extreme cases.

If one is rather overweight, one may not wish to in order to not sweat like a stuck pig. :shock:

I have also found that, while not as good as specifically-designed wicking material, the nylon/spandex does a fair job of quickly drying when environmental and activity heating levels subside.

I told Monica, who was asking for a friend, that she should acquire either a couple black half-slips or a light-weight black skirt for him as well as the kilt. But for Pete's sake don't call them that, call them "kilt liners." And that they help keep the kilt clean. Underwear being optional, and all that.... :wink:
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Took my first trip out in tights. Walking is my main form of exercise. I took my 3 mile route around my end of town. Its a good thing I was wearing the tights because it was about 55 and breezy. I would have been cold otherwise. As I started out I was a little uneasy. Than I rationalized that the most shall we say identifiable part of my outfit was the running skirt I was wearing. It doesn't matter if I wear crew socks knee socks or tights the first thing anybody is going to notice is the skirt I said the hell with my concerns and enjoyed my walk.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

It's starting to get cold around here, and the snow is starting to stick. Went out yesterday afternoon in a typical knee length wool mix A line, and a second skirt under (leather mini) as an additional wind block. Under those, I wore heavy fleece lined tights, they were ones where the bigger versions (which I need at 6' 2" and 200 pounds) has an additional panel in the back. When they come like, that I wear them backwards, as the panel tends to form a makeshift pouch. About 45 minutes walking in near freezing conditions, not too bad at all, but easily comfortable when getting into overheated stores by opening the jacket. Have also been out recently in similar outfit but with thigh highs, also worked well, but starting to edge into chilliness, hence the revision.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

partlyscot I am complainning about it being cold at 55 and breezy Where are you that you are already into fleeced lined anything.. Stay warm
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

oldsalt1 wrote:partlyscot I am complainning about it being cold at 55 and breezy Where are you that you are already into fleeced lined anything.. Stay warm
Calgary Alberta. It's not so bad at the moment, barely flirting with freezing so far. It can get very cold, but it doesn't usually stay that way, every 2-3 weeks or so a Chinook wind blows and eats all the snow.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

moonshadow wrote:Mmmm.... just to be clear, I do wear underwear when wearing leggings and tights... dont most people?? :?
I believe they do, more fool them!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

I've been a tights/pantyhose wearer for many years and don't wear underwear with them. to me it's a duplication. The tights are underwear and socks all in one garment. Adding underwear is redundant. My two cents.

Jeff
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jmiller842 wrote:I've been a tights/pantyhose wearer for many years and don't wear underwear with them. to me it's a duplication.
[Mod hat on]

This is the very last post that will be approved going into this level of detail and is being approved as an example. We do not care whether undergarments are worn or not, with the proviso that one should remain at least modest.

Full stop.

[Mod hat off]

There are arguments in both directions of for versus against. Both have validity. However, since underwear is not public fashion discussion of what "girds our loins" is not welcome. See the main FAQ for full details.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah since these items are "UNMENTIONABLES" - Please refrain from mentioning the Unmentionables !
Or just maybe I should watch what I am mentioning here ! ROFLOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, thanks to a suggestion by Kilted John about sockdreams, I think I have solved the issue of what to do with tights/leggings henceforth while using the restroom. I ordered a few pairs of thigh high socks from sockdreams and received them today and tried them on. Not only were the comfortable, but they are also stylish and seem to be quite a bit more stronger than tights (hopefully no runs/tears). I now have something warm I can wear when it gets cold...

And yes, I got my favorite white and black stripes. I'll probably add a pair or two per month.

Lots of fun and adds another level of pop to my outfits!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

oldsalt1 wrote:partlyscot I am complainning about it being cold at 55 and breezy Where are you that you are already into fleeced lined anything.. Stay warm
Heck, that's no big deal. I've been out in a miniskirt and tights when temps were in the low 40's and was perfectly comfortable. No big deal really.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.