Stitch Meggings

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stitch Meggings

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:...The crucial difference between leggings and tights is the feet...
To me, tights are thin and mostly nylon, whereas leggings are t-shirt-thick and mostly cotton.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I enjoy the tights and leggings because they're comfortable at least to me. I love the feel of Lycra and the cotton blend materials yoga pants are made from. but also to me it's like wearing skirts. pushing the fashion boundaries of wearing stuff we're not supposed to wear. when I wear them, which I do more than skirts, I always have a shirt covering the "area". leggings don't lie no matter who's wearing them. I choose to cover that up.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

also I see a lot of women wearing yoga pants and cropped workout leggings. they tend to have a shirt covering part of them. it's not like they're tucking their top in. I do the same
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bamaskirting wrote:also I see a lot of women wearing yoga pants and cropped workout leggings. they tend to have a shirt covering part of them. it's not like they're tucking their top in.
What baffles me is how they can think that they actually look good in such rigs. It seems like somebody is an absolute genius at marketing and brainwashing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:
Bamaskirting wrote:also I see a lot of women wearing yoga pants and cropped workout leggings. they tend to have a shirt covering part of them. it's not like they're tucking their top in.
What baffles me is how they can think that they actually look good in such rigs. It seems like somebody is an absolute genius at marketing and brainwashing.
To me, skin-tight clothes on attractive women always look good.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:To me, skin-tight clothes on attractive women always look good.
I guess there's a dearth of attractive women in these here parts. Here they're either anorexic or morbidly obese, with things trending toward the latter. There is almost no middle ground.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

While I agree with the site's philosophy ("We envision a day where men can wear what they want as opposed to what they should, to achieve this, we will strive to design and produce garments that liberate the modern man from conventional male fashion.", leggings are not for me -- but if YOU like them, great!

However, I can't stand the word Meggings.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtingtheissue wrote:However, I can't stand the word Meggings.
Indeed! I feel the same way. In fact, I get somewhat irked when men always have to "masculinize" something with a manly name so they feel more secure. Like calling a purse a "man bag". No.... it's a purse, a pocket book, whatever the girls call it. It is what it is...

Also sort of like no matter what style skirt a man is wearing, there are some who insist that no matter the skirt, if it's on a man... it's a kilt.

Although I think a few of my rigs have gone way past being mistaken for a kilt! :lol:

Although then again... there I was in Cave City KY and an older lady asked me as I walked by in one of my flamboyant floral skirts and tops "are you Scottish?"

:?

Do Scots wear feminine floral skirts and tanks? :?:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:
skirtingtheissue wrote:However, I can't stand the word Meggings.
Indeed! I feel the same way. In fact, I get somewhat irked when men always have to "masculinize" something with a manly name so they feel more secure. Like calling a purse a "man bag". No.... it's a purse, a pocket book, whatever the girls call it. It is what it is...
The latest thing among the hisptas here is SF is the "manbun"
moonshadow wrote:Also sort of like no matter what style skirt a man is wearing, there are some who insist that no matter the skirt, if it's on a man... it's a kilt.

Although I think a few of my rigs have gone way past being mistaken for a kilt! :lol:

Although then again... there I was in Cave City KY and an older lady asked me as I walked by in one of my flamboyant floral skirts and tops "are you Scottish?"

:?

Do Scots wear feminine floral skirts and tanks? :?:
Well don't they? We'll have to wait for some members from Scotland to reply. :wink:
I was wearing my Skirtcraft skirt with knee socks at work on Friday and my female Chinese co-worker (who always says what comes to her mind) commented that the skirt and socks combination make her think of a kilt. But she did call it a skirt. 8)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Not me! Floral is not my thing.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I'm with Caultron on leggings. In fact, plenty of women who aren't terribly attractive catch my attention just because they ARE in leggings. I mean, c'mon Carl, don't they look half-undressed while still being street-legal. How can you NOT like that?

And yeah, "meggings" is a pretty dumb, made-up word. I guess some marketing genius thought it might help men get over the hump and buy their first pair of leggings. Maybe the clothing manufacturers should just come and talk to us.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:I'm with Caultron on leggings. In fact, plenty of women who aren't terribly attractive catch my attention just because they ARE in leggings. I mean, c'mon Carl, don't they look half-undressed while still being street-legal. How can you NOT like that?
I am an opinionated prick at times, but it's just that -- my opinion.

That said, every time I see a pair of leggings my brain automatically comments, "Oh, dear, another '80s fashion victim." I hated leggings then -- for the reason that they break the otherwise-graceful line of the leg in an complex area of the anatomy -- and haven't run into any compelling reasons for me to change that opinion. Like many other cyclical fashions, they come in (eliciting gripes from me) and go out (eliciting a feeling of relief); the problem is that they seem to keep coming back, unlike some styles that I actually find attractive.

So, my personal objection to the things is purely aesthetic -- and it's down mainly to the garment itself not the wearer. And as far as half-dressed people go, I know what the human anatomy looks like, and putting too much on display in public (either by leaving off pieces of clothing, or by making it too tight) seems slightly clinical to me. I like to use my imagination. (Of course there are the uniforms for the women's beach-volleyball teams in the currently-running Olympics...)

All of the above having been said, if somebody wants to wear them, that's fine by me, I'm not going to stand in their way.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

If it's too cold to wear just thick tights and a skirt, and you don't want to wear pants, leggings with a skirt go well.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:To me, skin-tight clothes on attractive women always look good.
I guess there's a dearth of attractive women in these here parts. Here they're either anorexic or morbidly obese, with things trending toward the latter. There is almost no middle ground.
You have my sympathy. I am reminded of a comment from a radio personality who was broadcasting from the Calgary Stamped a few years ago. He stopped dead in the middle of one event description, and after a pause said, "Please remember people, Lycra is a privilege, not a right" I try not to imagine the sight that provoked such an outburst, Stampede brings out the worst dress sense in people.

I am fortunate, (I think? It can get distracting) in that I work with a very fit bunch of people for the most part, and yoga pants and leggings are quite common. Even so, there are a small percentage for whom they don't work. It hardly ever gets to what I would call the "eye bleach" level, but sometimes I am tempted to say "You should stick to shorts" My favourite type of female figure looks terrific in leggings, but some just don't have that nice flow from butt to thigh, or have an unfortunate ratio there. Sometimes they pick the wrong size which can have a similar effect.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Some women I've seen in leggings seemed like they were 'painted-on' with
industrial strength paint. :twisted: They had to have been made of 75% lycra/spandex
and 25% something else. What ever you've seen, it's not as bad as what I've witnessed.

Then again, body paint/art is quite unique. Check it out on YouTube.
There was a TV show on A&E about body painting in Las Vegas.
Quite interesting what the clients wanted. One example was for a
poker game. When the guests came into the 'empty' room, they
sat down at the table to play cards. One said he was thirsty. Then the
fun began. The Staff literally came out of the wood-work. One of the
'staff' was painted to look like part of a curtain. Another blended into
the corner because they looked like the wood paneling & wall paper. :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)