Fashion wont be truly genderless until more men wear skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Fashion wont be truly genderless until more men wear skirts

Post by skirtingtoday »

Not sure if this has been commented on previously but it is interesting (and even mettions Skirtcraft skirts and this site:-

https://mic.com/articles/141814/sorry-n ... .trp4wwv9g

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion wont be truly genderless until more men wear ski

Post by Couya »

skirting today wrote:... it is interesting
Much as I usually respect your opinion and comments, Ross, I can't agree with you that there was anything interesting in this article (except " even mentions Skirtcraft skirts and this site" of course). we have already read this 100 times when some journalist thinks he is being original. Always the same examples; Always the same inference : that most men will never forego their trousers. The fact that a few oddities from the entertainment world put a skirt around their pants for a publicity stunt has no bearing on what the general public do, see or want.
Have any of you met a youngster (i.e., someone who had actually heard of these entertainers), who has said "Wow Xyz looks great in his skirt; I am going to wear one, too" ? No need to ask if any older man ever said this.

Martib
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

And to comment on the title -- need I say it again? -- what has gender to do with clothes?
Clothes are genderless, and anyone can wear whatever he likes, as women do, but 99% of men do jot, because they have no interest in wearing the frivolous things that women often wear. Some readers here may like the girly look, but others, like myself, don skirts for comfort and neither look nor feel like members of the other sex.
There are plenty of ways to look different from the herd without imitating someone you are not.

Martin
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I don't care if fashion is or isn't genderless - I am happy to be out of fashion .... and that is basically all it is, we are just out of fashion and thankfully it is not mandatory.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Personally, I don't care for most of the male celeb skirt looks. Although I'll give them an honorable mention for the publicity anyway. But I'm not sure if it's helping or hurting us when they treat it as some type of freak novelty act. I'd like to see more celebrity men actually wear skirts all the time... like many of us do. Speaking for myself, I haven't spent one minute of my FREE time in anything other than some type of skirt for over a year now!. Except for when I sleep... I don't sleep with them on.

When a celeb dons a skirt for a photo op, and goes back to wearing trousers the rest of the time... it really doesn't say much.

All that being said... I've seen one look online that I just LOVE... and this is it:
n-PAX-AHIMSA-GETHEN-628x314.jpg
That skirt is to die for! And he (unlike so many male skirt models) is actually SMILING! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That thing looks like a dress, to me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kirbstone wrote:That thing looks like a dress, to me.

Tom
Ehhh... tough to say... I think it's a skirt with a big t-shirt. Could be a dress I suppose.. I cant really tell. It just seems if it were a dress the pattern would also be on the top part as well...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In having a closer look at the picture I do believe it is a skirt and a T shirt. As the color of the top is just a little different than the bottom. :geek:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I like the colours though and if it was a dress then I'd like to see a better view. I could see me wearing it if it's separates.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
whorton

Post by whorton »

But, one has to ask. ..

Had there never been an element of forbidden or offlimits, would wearing a skirt have ever have held any level of facination above say, jeans or chinos in the first place?

For instance, At some point, society will likely totally acecpt men wearing skirts. At that point, what draw would it have to younger males?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

whorton wrote:Had there never been an element of forbidden or offlimits, would wearing a skirt have ever have held any level of facination above say, jeans or chinos in the first place?
Likely no, save for the entirely nasty character of the fabrics in the menswear departments. But one never knows. Had there been no prohibition, it's also perfectly possible that guys would naturally gravitate to skirts for some things and trousers for others, and with fabric selections as met the needs. There is no way to say from the data that exist.
For instance, At some point, society will likely totally acecpt men wearing skirts. At that point, what draw would it have to younger males?
It would then be down to the individual in question, and the situation he's in at any given time. There would be no need for any sort of "draw".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The draw or lack thereof for anyone to a particular item of clothing is universal, comfort, covenience and self-expression. Those things do not require social interference for them to be attractive.

That statement raises an interesting question, are men's clothing so boring and so limited in its range because men have so little to say that's interesting or unique to the individual?
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:[...A]re men's clothing so boring and so limited in its range because men have so little to say that's interesting or unique to the individual?
That's an interesting poser in and of itself, and I somewhat suspect we're not exactly the lot to answer it as we've moved beyond.

My personal suspicion, and I'll be happy to accept heat for the assertion, is that the average guy is pressed upon from so many different directions that he may simply not care any longer. He's desperate for his job which supports little more than himself, never-mind his family; he's worried what his (perhaps or supposed) "macho" pals will think of him if he "strays from the path"; and he's worried what his (increasingly masculinised wife) is going to think of him if he "strays from the path" (whilst she encroaches on it).

Just a random thought, No, I do not have a sociology degree.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

whorton wrote:...Had there never been an element of forbidden or offlimits, would wearing a skirt have ever have held any level of facination above say, jeans or chinos in the first place?...
AI contraire, If wearing a skirt were common, there would be no sense of it's being forbidden or off limits.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

whorton wrote:But, one has to ask. ..

Had there never been an element of forbidden or offlimits, would wearing a skirt have ever have held any level of facination above say, jeans or chinos in the first place?

Open ended garments can have one intrinsic draw-physical comfort. :)