Earrings!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earrings!

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote:Not really an expert but I remember from the time I used to do my own car repairs that I had a socket set with metric, whitworth and another imperial type sockets in it. I believe that many thread types were used over the years but only two or three of these were common.
In the course of my work I use Metric, B.A. (British Association), UNF, UNC, Whitworth, and BSF (British Standard Fine). Some spanners [wrenches] are marked in "AF" (across the flats) in fractional inch or decimal metric sizes, but Whitworth spanners are usually marked with the thread outer diameter in fractional inch.

One of the most useful pocket guides to threads and standard sizes, which every UK mechanical engineer seems to own, is called the "Zeus" book.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks pelmut, that was the other sockets that I had - AF. You have to remember that my dad was a motor mechanic and I have been used to working on cars, assisting at first then on my own since like, year blob and the cars we worked on were pre-metric. Cars from the fifties upwards. Sadly my days of lying about on cold concrete under a car are long gone and I let others do most of the work.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Reaper_Man wrote:i have 2 piercings in each ear and i wear a variety of earrings depending on the attire at the time (nights out etc), however my current day to day earrings are a pair of 50mm silver hoops in each ear (see pic)

Love those large hoops Reaper !!

Cheers

Tes
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Hello all:
Say has anybody ever heard of threaded earrings? If so can you give me a description?
Thank you!
Bill answer Brinkley The exuberant
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

Yes - I had a pair of threaded earrings.

Essentially they were studs, but the shank or post
had fine threads like a screw. The clasp could be
slid over the threads (it made a zipping sound) but
had to be spun like a nut to get it back off the post.

The reason for the design: the gemstones were small
diamonds. It made it difficult to accidentally remove
and loose one of the earrings.

The downside: They had a very rough feel to them and
were not the most comfortable thing to wear.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

wsherman wrote:Hello all:
Say has anybody ever heard of threaded earrings? If so can you give me a description?
Thank you!
I had an earring in the shape of a barbell. One of the balls threaded on. In truth, it was not an earring but was worn elsewhere.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I have a pair of stud earrings with threaded posts. I don't find them uncomfortable at all. On mine, the clasp is threaded on and off. Kind of a pain to get on sometimes, but at least i know I won't loose an expensive pair of earrings.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

wsherman wrote:Hello all:
Thank you!
My three pair of expensive (diamond, ruby and blue sapphire) stud earrings all have threaded posts that the backs screw on like a nut. If you are in a hurry they can be a bit difficult to get the back lined up and not cross-threaded. All three pair are from Shane Company and the last time I looked at their website they appear to have changed to push on backs.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Hello:
Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with the threaded post your ring as I have some diamond studs that are threaded post. The other day I was on Amazon and came across in the men's drop your ring section something called a threaded your ring. As I cannot see the pictures that are associated with the items I'm not sure what they're talking about. What I can discern if that they are not a threaded post but rather something else. Does anybody have a clue about this inquiring minds want to know! LOL!
Thanks everyone I never imagined that this thread would go this long.
Take care!
Bill answer Brinkley the exuberant
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Just found this, and couldn't resist adding a note, even if the piece I have to add is off-topic to the thread title.
hoborob wrote:Now just try to convert either into the Biblical system...Can't be done we don't know exactly what a Cubit was we only know approximately what it was, about 18 inches plus or minus.
How about to the Egyptian system. We don't even know what the base measurement was, and we still can't figure out how they built the pyramids.
Stonehenge, we don't even know were to start with that one.
I read that the ancient henges and such across Briton seem to use a measurement based on the length of a pendulum that yields a specified number of swings (I forget whether it is 366 or 183, approximately a whole or half year) per period of time. This measurement remains so consistent from place to place that inaccuracies in copying a rod as it went along would keep that from being the explanation and bringing a master rod everywhere is suspect. I also recall they use a 366 degree circle, according to the same book. The book is Uriel's Machine, IIRC. Unfortunately I lost my copy some years back, so I can't check my memory right now.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

[Begin rant]

MOH bought a load of earrings that she said were for me. She said so, she gave them to me and stupid me, I thought that they WERE for me. Now I wore a pair the other day that were small pink roses and she gave me grief several times for wearing them as she thought that the small roses were too feminine. I thought that they looked good and persisted. Now apparently they were mostly for me but some are too girly and MOH says they should be for her. I have no objections to her having them but the change in perception and the now double standard is hard to take. I have told her where the earrings are and if she wants to wear any of them she is welcome. Otherwise I will please myself. Incidentally I am wearing a pair today that are a small couple of bananas.

[End rant]
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The mind of a woman is a scary place! :pale:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:...MOH bought a load of earrings that she said were for me. She said so, she gave them to me and stupid me, I thought that they WERE for me. Now I wore a pair the other day that were small pink roses and she gave me grief several times for wearing them as she thought that the small roses were too feminine. I thought that they looked good and persisted. Now apparently they were mostly for me but some are too girly and MOH says they should be for her...
Next time her birthday comes around, give her that fishing pole she's been wanting you to have.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

My personal preference is for clip earrings (no piercing required). This is my Wife's preference too. They're not as common as stud earrings, but I've managed to collect a decent array of clip earrings in a relatively short space of time. I like to match them with necklaces to compliment whatever dress or skirt/blouse I'm wearing.

However, besides clip earrings, I also have a few pairs of magnetic stud earrings. Again, no piercings required - but they give the appearance of having pierced ears. Once in place, they stay in place.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I have 3 holes in each earlobe and 1 in my left nostril.

I wear 1 titanium earring in each earlobe and in my nose a small titanium ring all day
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)