Tops from the other side of the aisle

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by moonshadow »

Not wanting to derails Orange Apple's introduction thread, I thought I'd start a fresh one on tops from TOSOTA (the other side of the aisle)
Gordon wrote:Speaking of using tops from the other side of the isle. I've not been able to find much that doesn't have darts for the female bosom. The few I've tried on they were very obvious along with the extra material in the area. Do you wear them anyway?
Maybe a small amount of "room", but nothing that's literally "baggy" or anything like that. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that most "women's" shirts I try on fit me like a glove. When there is a problem, it's normally because I picked a size too small and it won't go over my shoulders, or around my belly.
Normally if I bend forward, little pouches tend to show, but when I am upright the shirts generally rest on my breast. Then again, men's shirts also had that effect on me.

That being said, I tend to buy shirts that are skin tight. "Mediums", and even some "smalls" for me, and of course, they all are made of somewhat stretchy fabric, and I do have small "man boobs" that fills skin hugging shirts out pretty well.

Also, I tend to have a small frame, I'm not very wide in the shoulder like the typical "man", so that affords me the ability to get into those small/medium sized shirts. Larger shirts may have bigger darts for bigger women's boobs. A man who is broad in the shoulder, who wouldn't be able to fit in a medium "women's" top, might have a little trouble with darts on larger shirts. Generally I turn down tops that aren't somewhat stretchy for this reason. In addition, non-stretchy "women's" tops generally won't go around my belly either.

Many "women's" tops also tend to not be as long, so when wearing skirts, I tend to hike the waist up a little, and allow the shirt to hang an inch or two over the skirt.

Below are some examples of me in "women's" tops. I'd be curious to see experiences from the broader shouldered men on this board....

Today's outfit:
Top isn't "skin tight", but still rest comfortably on my torso. It runs a a little short, and generally is only worn with high waisted skirts.
Size is "Medium"

This one is pretty snug on the skin. Also runs short, however the size is "Small" so that explains it. It's pretty curve hugging.

This is a good example of a top that's somewhat loose, and has obvious areas for breast to go, however doesn't overdo it. Like the first photo, it doesn't "hug" my skin, but does rest comfortably on it. I'm wearing nothing under the blouse, so what you see is what you get. I believe the size on this one is medium.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Re: Tops from the other side of the aisle

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote:Not wanting to derails Orange Apple's introduction thread, I thought I'd start a fresh one on tops from TOSOTA (the other side of the aisle)
Gordon wrote:Speaking of using tops from the other side of the isle. I've not been able to find much that doesn't have darts for the female bosom. The few I've tried on they were very obvious along with the extra material in the area. Do you wear them anyway?
Maybe a small amount of "room", but nothing that's literally "baggy" or anything like that. In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that most "women's" shirts I try on fit me like a glove. When there is a problem, it's normally because I picked a size too small and it won't go over my shoulders, or around my belly.
But what if I WANT my introduction thread derailed? :D

I am not typical in regard to this question, as I need the extra space. Women's tops fit me in the chest better than men's. But as Moon says, there's really not a huge difference in the cut.

And to echo his words, women's sizes run smaller than men's. I generally wear an XL but have had to go to 2X. Like all women's clothing, the size is kind of a suggestion and varies by manufacturer, cut, style, and phase of the moon.

I buy women's tops with sleeves, like the second of the pictures that Moon posted. The ones I buy are styled the same as men's shirts. However, the selection of fabric and colors/prints is much more extensive "across the aisle". I do not wear women's tops to look feminine; I wear them because they look better on me than men's tops.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I wear men's button up shirts and want the same in a woman's top. As they are not form fitting like the ones pictured by Moonshadow above, they have more material in the upper portion of the top with obvious darts.
Something similar to these:
Image ImageImage

So far I've found only one womens top without darts at a thrift store. I've worn it out in public several times. It is rather loose fitting made with a material that drapes very well.

I had found something similar to it (or I thought) online and ordered it. When it arrived it did have darts and the material wasn't "drapy", even though while looking at the picture online I couldn't detect darts at all.

I'll continue to be on the look out.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I may as well be honest here, I own a few (three) blouses from "the other side of the aisle", and I happen to like them all very much but they're not day-to-day wear the way skirts are. There are pictures, I believe, in my "Pics and Looks" thread of all three, but I'm not sure where they really appear.

Of the three, one is entirely white -- and a bear to keep clean, and has a double-collar on it that looks amazing when worn outside a waistcoat. Another is emerald green and sort of a sateen material (which, Interestingly, I was able to pick up a man's dress shirt with virtually identical colour and material a while back). The last one is a burgundy silk, has ruffling on the front (which is usually hidden by a waistcoat), and semi-sheer sleeves. All get occasional mileage out and about, but are mostly for special occasions.

Interestingly, while I am a "L" (16) for skirts, I'm a 2X in blouses, not because I have breasts (I don't) but because of the breadth of my shoulders. All the extra size goes to that, and what darting there is for the waist is never even close to make the blouses fit much better than a typical man's tent. I can't win in this regard.

So, yes, if the garment fits, looks, good, and integrates with your sense of style, go on and rock it!

Amazingly, all my "puffy shirts" are marketed directly at men, although in one illustration the model is rather clearly and entirely comely young woman.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I suppose I've been pretty fortunate in that regard that my top size is pretty close to my bottom size.

The tops have helped by giving me a well defined "waist" in a desirable spot. The shirts always terminate around my navel, which is where a good skirt waist should be IMO.

Due to the shape of my belly however skirts must either be worn on the hip, or above the navel. Wearing skirts on the hip pushes the skirt towards my groin and gives me a very noticeable bulge. Wearing it above the navel eliminates the bulge as the skirt hangs off my belly (giving the skirt a nice "cone" shape), but then if I tucked a men's shirt in, it looked silly (too high waisted), if I let it hang over, it also looked silly (shirt hanging down on the hips)

Enter the "women's" blouse, and all my troubles were solved! :cheers:

I am finally able to wear skirts high enough to hang off my body correctly, and yet by not tucking the top in, gives it a well defined, and well placed "waist". Granted... it's an illusion, but then again... all clothing is...!

Note the following examples:
msf.jpg
The above photo was taken last fall. The image is of me in the skirt I purchased at CATO with my "unisex" tee shirt. Although technically unisex, the witch on the shirt would be more marketable to women, though the overall size and shape is typical of men's T's.
The picture above has been chalked up to a "Moon Shadow fail". I never really cared for the pose or the look, hence why the skirt didn't get very many outings since.
Let's just face it... it looks stupid, awkward, and sloppy.... :oops:

Then there is this...
Much better! Now I know some are going to complain about me mixing patterns, and yes I'm aware the skirt is slightly "orangish red", whereas the top is a deeper red. But it's all diagonal patterns and the point was to illustrate how the shape of the top better goes with the skirt.
While not a perfect look, still I think is a considerable improvement over the first image. I'd wear this rig out any day. The ensemble gave me the "cone" shape I'm after, helps me conceal the fact that "I'm an apple", and so it's good enough for me!

Fun side note: This is the first time I've worn this top. I purchased it at a GoodWill, and I have noticed it has a pretty strong "old lady" smell about it! :lol: May have to give it a washin' before it gets a whole day's outing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Some of the apparel on the other side of the aisle - one has to be sort of ambidextrous to button these or zip that with the left hand.
For first time sampling of the goodies on the other side of the aisle it is a challenge - often best to find a mirror to orientate the action.
My first observation was years ago - noticed a guy with a Henley top with a reverse button placket and what must have had 15 or more
micro small buttons and then it dawned on me that that was not male normal - but awful intriguing and after that I started to dissect
clothing design. I acquired a few items and wore them from time to time without any adverse reactions comments or eyeball stares.

Thus the wearing of clothing today except for some gender specific items is NOT CROSSDRESSING - but rather CROSS AISLE ADOPTION !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

All my shirts that I wear with my suits (and other times) are from the other side of the aisle. They fit my current shape and besides the traditional white or blue men's colors, also are some more interesting colors. I frequently get compliments on the non-traditional colors. While Lands' End regular 12s fit me OK, I buy longs when they are available. Gives me a bit more tail to help it stay securely tucked.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

While on a good day I can squeeze into my size 8 pencil skirt and on a very good day my size 6, most of my skirts are 10's even though my dresses are 14's.

My tops, and I have a few from the other side of the aisle, have to be large or 14's to fit my shoulders. So far the darts haven't been a problem though as I said in the sewing section I took them out of my white floral sheath because it does fir me like a sheath and the darts made it too tight in my lower torso.

In short, try it before you buy it and if you found you were too enthusiastic about the other features that you overlooked the fit, look for a way to alter it or return it.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I wear women's tops with my skirts all the time. I wouldn't wear anything else. In spring and summer, it's t-shirts, blouses and tank tops which are my favorite while in winter, it's sweaters and turtlenecks. Because of my frame as I'm 6-2, I usually wear a Misses large or extra large if I feel I need extra room depending on the style of top, sleeves can be a wee bit of a problem because of my height and long arms, I manage to make tops work, and the colors of what I have a much more fun than plain old and boring men's stuff.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I suppose I've been pretty fortunate in that regard that my top size is pretty close to my bottom size.
Indeed. Take a look at the hoops that JeffB1959 and I have to jump through to find stuff that works well.
I am finally able to wear skirts high enough to hang off my body correctly, and yet by not tucking the top in, gives it a well defined, and well placed "waist". Granted... it's an illusion, but then again... all clothing is...!
An illusion it is! Take a look back through fashion history and watch how not just hemlines have risen and fallen, but also the placement of the waist. At one extreme, we have the Empire style which likely could conceal a pregnancy and at the other we have the "dropped waist" which seemingly puts it slightly below the hips (a hideous look in my opinion). Then we have the rot from the 1920s where there wasn't a defined waist at all.

One the two photos. The first one shows the danger of a too-long top hanging over a skirt. It's made worse by the fact that the t-shirt hem isn't straight, but it's really the length that damages the overall look. The second shot is much better (and stop worrying about the pot) and I'll argue that the pattern "mismatch" actually works relatively well. People tend to forge that men do have waists although they're not as pronounced as a healthy-weight woman's waist. Modern society seems to want to do away with that distinction, and so the vaunted body-type for women is almost entirely male-like and relatively slab-sided (this works for us guys who like skirts). Of course, for those who cannot achieve the ideal, it's easier to let it go thereby explaining the fact that there's just about nobody in the sweet-spot in the middle and we're either badly under- or over- weight.

Another key point that puts the second photograph well ahead of the first in terms of overall attractiveness to the eye -- the pose and attitude. Look at the two alternately and compare/contrast them. Who would you prefer to chat up or grab a beer with?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Of course, for those who cannot achieve the ideal, it's easier to let it go thereby explaining the fact that there's just about nobody in the sweet-spot in the middle and we're either badly under- or over- weight.
This is the point where I have attempted to embrace my body, and belly for what it is. The doctor says for my frame, I'm probably about 10-15 lbs heavy. To eliminate the belly would probably put me back down to the 150-160 lb range (I run 180-185 now) Virtually ALL of my extra weight appears to be around my belly, my upper arms have a small amount of flabbyness to them, and my legs are still pretty slim for the most part. Below the knee I think looks good, however above the knee my legs don't really curve well IMO, but more or less stay "straight", and don't have those curves that look sexy on women, or those muscles that look "hot" on guys. (not that I'm into muscularly guys legs, just making a point). This is one reason I don't like skirts that come up too high above the knee. My legs just don't look good IMO opinion that high.

Interestingly as per my mother, this is a trait that is common in the FEMALE members of my mother's side. They call it "the potato on toothpicks", and is my mother's and grandmother's body style. It seems I have inherited it. You wouldn't believe it, but men on my fathers side, including my father are very tall and built more like your stereotypical "man" would be. Broad shoulders, narrow hips, etc. I'm among the shortest male member of my father side of the family. The only physical attribute from my father I seemed to have inherited is his face and eyes (I have developed crows feet that are common on dad's side of the family). Everything from the neck down is mom. It makes me an overall awkward fella. I have a big head on a small frame. :roll: Lucky me... BUT as you pointed out Carl, the upside is I can fit into "women's" tops somewhat easily.

But anyway... I've been trying to hold my weight at about this rate. I could drop the belly, but I'd have to buy all new skirts and start over as I'd no longer be in a medium, but would probably move towards a small, or the size 8-10. I don't mind being a little chubby in the middle. And frankly, when wearing trousers, my belly combined with my slightly large butt, I've noticed that I look somewhat "dorky". Almost Steve Urkle-ish... But with skirts I can hang them off the belly, wear a skin fitting blouse that hugs my back, accentuates my hips, and just looks damned good in profile if I do say so myself! :D
crfriend wrote:One the two photos. The first one shows the danger of a too-long top hanging over a skirt. It's made worse by the fact that the t-shirt hem isn't straight, but it's really the length that damages the overall look. The second shot is much better (and stop worrying about the pot) and I'll argue that the pattern "mismatch" actually works relatively well.
Well... lets just call a spade a spade... on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being hideous and 10 being Carl and Jeff.... it rated a (-15) :oops: I was, and still am "find my way" as far as skirts go. Recall that it was this time last year is was just a pair of trousers or bibbs, and an ordinary men's tee. I never really in my entire life had given much thought to fashion sense, matching, style, etc. Always just threw something on, because I was brought up that "a man didn't worry about such things"... :roll:

Thanks for the compliment on the lower picture.
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:My tops, and I have a few from the other side of the aisle, have to be large or 14's to fit my shoulders.
If it's non-stretchy I have to go 14 or "large". Shoulders aren't too much of a problem, I just have to have the larger fit to go over my belly, Medium non-stretchy tops will go over my shoulder, but they won't button. With "small's"... forget it! Hardly fits over my head. Then again, it's the same way with skirts. If it's a non-stretchy skirt, I require a 14, most 12's won't zip up. However in stretchy skirts, a 14 is subject to fall off me, which is why in that regard I can go in some 10's, and they are VERY secure!

Funny story.... I once found a top that I LOVED... it was a "small medium" and non-stretchy. I tried my BEST to get it on in the fitting room. I finally succeeded, however I sort of, kind of... got the garment STUCK on me! :lol: It took quite the acrobatics to get the top off again! A few times I thought I was just going to have to rip it off and just pay for the damaged shirt! I finally managed and only heard a few threads pop... *ssshhhhh!* :wink: Now I know better! :)

Tip: To get off skin tight tops... just start at the bottom and peel it back like you're unwrapping a candy bar. Let the shirt turn inside out. You can fix it when it's off...

Anyway... here's today's rig (temporary as I have to run a call in Galax as soon as I log off here)
I purchased this top at GoodWill, it's a very loud floral top with a tan/purplish color scheme. At first I paired it with a plain Jane "granny" purple skirt that came to the calfs.
Although the colors matched, I found the top was too "loud" for the skirt for my liking. I paired it with a blackish "peacock" pattern skirt that I've been itching to wear for a while, and would have passed a forgiving audience, but still not quite "there". So I picked out the same skirt I wore on Trail Days... it's a somewhat "loud" skirt too, and has some purple in the color scheme. Both are along the same color temperature, both are floral, and both are "loud". In this case, I thought it better to match loud with loud rather than simple color matching.... I like it... Luna likes it too! :) Ya'll know I love my flowers! :flower:
Top size is medium, however it fits a little snug. It's hard to tell from the photo, but some of the flowers have little rhinestones on them. You will also note this top goes all the way to the hip and fans out a little.

Would love to wear this out today.... sucks I've gotta go to work! :evil:
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Woah... just changed into a heavy tank... holy cow! I can tell this one came from a smoker's house! :shock:

Gonna need a washin'!

Ahh... that's part of the charms of second hand stores... the smells! :lol:
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:Anyway... here's today's rig (temporary as I have to run a call in Galax as soon as I log off here)
I purchased this top at GoodWill, it's a very loud floral top with a tan/purplish color scheme. At first I paired it with a plain Jane "granny" purple skirt that came to the calfs.
Although the colors matched, I found the top was too "loud" for the skirt for my liking. I paired it with a blackish "peacock" pattern skirt that I've been itching to wear for a while, and would have passed a forgiving audience, but still not quite "there". So I picked out the same skirt I wore on Trail Days... it's a somewhat "loud" skirt too, and has some purple in the color scheme. Both are along the same color temperature, both are floral, and both are "loud". In this case, I thought it better to match loud with loud rather than simple color matching.... I like it... Luna likes it too! :) Ya'll know I love my flowers! :flower:
Top size is medium, however it fits a little snug. It's hard to tell from the photo, but some of the flowers have little rhinestones on them. You will also note this top goes all the way to the hip and fans out a little.

Would love to wear this out today.... sucks I've gotta go to work! :evil:
Hmm! Interesting. Now, this is just my opinion, but I tend to think that a solid color top with a printed skirt (or vice versa) would look better, less....busy as in your picture.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Hmm! Interesting. Now, this is just my opinion, but I tend to think that a solid color top with a printed skirt (or vice versa) would look better, less....busy as in your picture.
Thanks for the suggestion Jeff. The goal was to wear the top that day, as I really love the top. I tried on three skirts, the first was a plain (non printed) purple skirt that ran about to the calf. It was okay, but I thought the top was too busy for it. When I get home tonight I'll pose a shot and get your thoughts on it, the look of the plain skirt didn't quite sit right with me, but I'd still be interested in a second opinion. Hence why I decided to keep it busy from head to toe. :)

It is a somewhat difficult top to match to anything I currently own. But all the same, is a kick ass top and I love wearing it.

I'll post back tonight, BOL.
-Andrea
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:Hmm! Interesting. Now, this is just my opinion, but I tend to think that a solid color top with a printed skirt (or vice versa) would look better, less....busy as in your picture.
Thanks for the suggestion Jeff. The goal was to wear the top that day, as I really love the top. I tried on three skirts, the first was a plain (non printed) purple skirt that ran about to the calf. It was okay, but I thought the top was too busy for it. When I get home tonight I'll pose a shot and get your thoughts on it, the look of the plain skirt didn't quite sit right with me, but I'd still be interested in a second opinion. Hence why I decided to keep it busy from head to toe. :)

It is a somewhat difficult top to match to anything I currently own. But all the same, is a kick ass top and I love wearing it.

I'll post back tonight, BOL.
Well, that top is indeed snazzy. As for a solid color skirt to pair with it, in my humble opinion, when all else fails, go with basic black, perhaps an A-line floor sweeper with shoes to match. Meanwhile, I would be all too eager to see what you come up with. Helping one another become fashionable is important to all of us skirt wearing men.