Favourite shoes

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Favourite shoes

Post by Sinned »

Uncle Al, don't want to be awkward but the size chart you indicated isn't right for the UK. I take a size 7 and that translates to an 8 in women's size but the chart has it going the other way and says that I should be taking a 61/2. No way would I fit into a half size smaller women's shoe. For a narrow women's shoe I would probably take an 8 1/2. I have several pairs of women's shoes all size 8 and they fit fine. The one for the US and Canada would be a better fit ( groan ).
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:I've been seeking a nice pair of Mary Janes, however it seems when we go from women's size 10 ($20), to women's size 12.... the price jumps to $80! REALLY! That little extra amount of material justified a $60 increase in price?!?!|
Click here:
http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-shoes ... 1/60/price
to choose from 239 size-12 Mary Janes starting at $45.97.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Shoe sizing, as some of you seem to be finding out, is a bit of a mine field. Unfortunately, what we think are standards, often aren't. European sizes are different in France and in Italy, for instance. A lot of issues stem from some counties starting to size from 0 and others from 1. Women's sizes in the UK vary too. Some manufacturers size as 7/40 and others as 7/41. This is because the two scales do not line up exactly, so really a 7 uk is around 40.5 Next brand, for instance use 7/41 so I find that I can buy Next 7 ballet flats and they are fine, whereas in others I buy an 8. US equivallents are women's 9 & 10. Generally a 10 is a better fit, but I have several comfortable fitting 9's. When you get to designer shoes, these are often much narrower than high street equivalents, so going up a size or even perhaps two is often advisable. Oh, and if you think that measuring the foot and using mm is the answer, well, it works for NASA, probably because they don't wear pointed shoes.

I notice that you seem to wear the same size footwear as me, Sinned, so hopefully you might find the explanation helpful. Btw, in Brazil I've seen a 39 can be the same as a European 41.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sounds like the sizing in footwear is a similar black art to the sizing of skirts. Found that out the hard way. The only way to go is to try them on but with footwear the deficiencies often only become apparent after a hopefully short period of time. Thanks for the information SkirtsDad, remind me not to buy shoes in Brazil of Italy, or anywhere abroad for that matter. BTW you seem like someone who would have dainty feet - MOH says that I have good ideal feet with a strong arch, me, they're just appendages on the end of my legs.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Well, the subject is a bit academic to me, in that my feet are of a size that hunting for the "women's" shoes I'm not interested in that fit is unlikely to be fruitful.

The solution to the rounding errors is for manufacturers to indicate on their size charts which scale is the primary scale, and which are conversions. Armed with that information one might have, if not perfect success, at least a better chance of getting it right.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tor wrote:Well, the subject is a bit academic to me, in that my feet are of a size that hunting for the "women's" shoes I'm not interested in that fit is unlikely to be fruitful.

The solution to the rounding errors is for manufacturers to indicate on their size charts which scale is the primary scale, and which are conversions. Armed with that information one might have, if not perfect success, at least a better chance of getting it right.
On your next visit to a shoe store emporium department store seek out the Brannock shoe fitting device.
EBAY LINK:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... e&_sacat=0

There is one for men - one for women and lastly one for children.
Each of these are used for both feet since there can be variance between the two - then you order the larger size.
Skip the children's one.
I have both the Men's and Women's models.
You measure the left foot and then turn the device 180 degrees and measure the right.
You measure the length of the foot and then a sliding device on the side gives you the width.
Women's are normally medium or "B" width as opposed to men's which are "D" width.
"A's" are very ultra narrow feet and the "C's" someplace between the B & D.
The "E's" etc. are for very wide feet.

The merit of using these devices is to get a standard measurement that can be applied buying
shoes from anywhere foreign or domestic.
Use the manufacturer's fitting chart to convert the sizes with your measurements.
A source that I use is the Payless Shoe website LINK:

http://www.payless.com/customer-service ... harts.html

You should be able to get ever so close to "Just My(Your) Size" !

YMMV as some sizes of shoe wear will always be difficult to fit and require custom work !

For seasonal footwear (over calf boots) think about shopping early and out of season (NOW?)
for the best pricing bids sales -OR- at the end of the season - not so good a time.
Have a favorite shoe store with stuff in your size - strike a business relationship with one
of the employees; manager or owner to get a heads up on stock coming in seasonal trends.
Payless comes to mind as they stock larger sizes than small department stores.

Use this internetty thing to browse for footwear - you can use your fingers instead of walking
around trying to find a deal ! Visit a website and check on stock then phone ahead to see if
your size is still in stock.
Amazing it works !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

On fixing the rounding errors: A Brannock or similar won't solve the issue where you find that you are exactly, say, a 12 U.K., but mfr A's 12 is a true 46 European, but mfr B's is a true 47 European, and for some reason rounded both to 12.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Try it, if the shoe fits, wear it!
Steve.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

And as Caultron told us, a shoe that fits will be comfortable within a few seconds of putting it on in the shoe store.

Despite my, ironically, occasionally telling my lady friends that, "Beauty knows no pain," it's not true and truly beautiful shoes aren't painful.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tor wrote:On fixing the rounding errors: A Brannock or similar won't solve the issue where you find that you are exactly, say, a 12 U.K., but mfr A's 12 is a true 46 European, but mfr B's is a true 47 European, and for some reason rounded both to 12.
An alternative is to place a sheet of paper (maybe legal size for big foot fellows) and trace a pencil around the foot print.
Then apply the kings measurement device (the ruler) and compose the sizes from that point.
If the sizes are foreign then multiply the inch measurement to centimeters (2.54 = 1 inch).

At least with the measurements one should be in the foot-soccer ball park - for custom footwear a visit to the cobbler is highly recommended !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Perhaps for feet that size, for 'cobbler' read 'Farrier'.....or shipwright!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Here's something dillon will probably enjoy, if he doesn't know already:

"It takes a bigger foundation to hold up a church than an outhouse."

I think the cobbler might still be the best choice. Farriers deal with smaller (or at least shorter) feet, or so I seem to recall the last time I saw one at work.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah, but they use hot iron & nail 'em on! :idea:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
FloSchmidt1975

Post by FloSchmidt1975 »

I've been really having hard time finding affordable and comfortable shoes for me. My foot length is around 10.3 inches but I've always found difficulty identifying my accurate shoe size as I've noticed they tend to vary per brand. Even worse, I have really wide feet so it's made shopping extra challenging.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

FloSchmidt1975 wrote:I've been really having hard time finding affordable and comfortable shoes for me. My foot length is around 10.3 inches but I've always found difficulty identifying my accurate shoe size as I've noticed they tend to vary per brand. Even worse, I have really wide feet so it's made shopping extra challenging.
I have what are known in the shoe trade as "FLINTSTONE FEET". So I know where you are coming from. I have a hard time even finding shoes that fit in the men's dept.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.