To Dress Or Not To Dress, Part 2

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To Dress Or Not To Dress, Part 2

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

RavenTao wrote:BTW, when I talked about making a judgement call, I was talking about myself. I don't really care if any guy wants to wear high heels, or put on clown's makeup. In fact, I think some women look like clowns with their makeup. Yep, I judge them to look like clowns. I'm not sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest, either. I'm not one to follow any crowd.
"Making a judgement call" is not, in my opinion, the same as making a bald statement then couching it as "My judgement". I think there's a subtle difference. As for "stirring up a hornets' nest", nah, you've just provoked a challenging discussion.

And I agree that some "fashions with make-up" make women look like clowns, too, or Oompa Loompas :wink:

And, once again, welcome to the forum. I'm pretty certain we're all glad you haven't disappeared.
Last edited by Disaffected.citizen on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

kilty wrote:... A lot may even take their own lives after they realize the irreversible change they have made and regret that choice.
Very few indeed - fewer than those who are murdered because they are transgender and far far fewer than those who take their own lives because society won't accept them for what they are.

Responsible medical professionals won't allow irreversible treatments for transgender people until they have undergone a psychiatric assessment to check that there isn't a serious underlying condition which needs treating first. (This is completely different from the situation 50 years ago when trangender and homosexual people were considered 'mad' and were sent to a psychiatrist to 'cure' them - often resulting in suicide.)
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

RavenTao, you certainly have the right to wear what you want, regardless of what it is, provided it's not just illegal in your area (like walking around naked, or only in your underwear)

You also have a right to find various looks on this website not to your liking. There are a few here that have more or less openly stated they don't really care for a few of my looks, but they have always seemed to say so with respect, and always yielding to my right to wear it regardless. Sometimes, after reading their comments I have even taken the rose colored glasses off, and looked at the garment through their mindset, and saw that yes... perhaps it does look a little silly.

My thoughts on clothing items being "for women only", or "women's territory" are clearly laid out earlier in the thread, and I don't need to reiterate them, especially since I have yet to read any rebuttal to my claim that these notions are purely arbitrary, I will refrain from repeating that which I have already stated.

Finally, I will also say, you have the right to come out and say that your view on heels is that they are "women's territory", however with that right in mind, you must also realize that other people have the right to disagree. My argument remains in light of the question, why?

It's interesting that makeup has been brought up. My wife and daughter did their best to get me to wear makeup today. I resisted for a while, then finally gave in and let my wife do one eye. I didn't like it. That is not to say that I believe that makeup is "women's territory", but it's simply not "Moon Shadow territory". A big reason for this is a matter of practicality, I have a tenancy to fidget with my face a lot during the day (lots of face palms :P ) and to get into the habit it wearing facial makeup would only result in me smearing it all over my face through the course of the day. But then again, makeup really isn't "women's territory". Lots of men wear makeup, actors, goths, even ordinary people for various reasons. It may not be for me, but I'm not going to sit here and say it isn't for you, or anyone else on this forum or elsewhere in the world.

In my view, there are only two things in the whole world that are "women's territory", menstrual cycles, and pregnancies. These are two things that a man can not know. And having witnessed what women go through, especially in the former, I'd say we got off pretty lucky. :lol: Here's to the girls, much stronger than many-a-man hath given you credit for over the eon's. May that oversight be rectified in the coming years. *MS tips his hat*
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.