Going Flat

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Going Flat

Post by dillon »

Thanks for clearing that up, you two... -says sarcastically-
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, you two... -says sarcastically-
No problem, I'm always glad to obfuscate.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

going flat. I seem to have a problem doing that. luckily, the skirt style I go for is super casual with graphic tees. I don't want to show a bulge and nothing I've done has stopped it. and I sure don't want to wear extra stuff that's what skirt wearing is about to me. wearing as least as possible
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:going flat. I seem to have a problem doing that. luckily, the skirt style I go for is super casual with graphic tees. I don't want to show a bulge and nothing I've done has stopped it. and I sure don't want to wear extra stuff that's what skirt wearing is about to me. wearing as least as possible
Drag queens apparently solve this problem -- even for swimsuit shots -- by pushing the testicles back into the abdomen and taping the rest between their legs. So far, though, I haven't been motivated enough to go through all of that.

I bought a Spanx body shaper -- waist to mid-thigh -- but that's not completely successful either.

I also bought some side-zipper stretch pants at Goodwill but had no eureka moments so far.

All just idle curiosity, nothing serious, and especially nothing permanent.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have never had that problem. :lol: Since the skirts I wear are not that tight around that area. Due to the disease I have called the "Dunlap" [where the belly done lapped over the belt]. :flower: :hmmm: So when I wear my skirts they are lose enough that it does not show.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Franinskirts wrote:I have never had that problem. :lol: Since the skirts I wear are not that tight around that area. Due to the disease I have called the "Dunlap" [where the belly done lapped over the belt]. :flower: :hmmm: So when I wear my skirts they are lose enough that it does not show.
I myself, having a small gut find that some of my skirts work better worn over my navel (above my gut) when worn this way, there is no bulge at all. I find that in many cases, especially if I don't tuck my shirt in, I get a nice "triangle" like shape going on from my shoulders on down to my angles.

But bulge or not.... Moon Shadow will NOT be pushing his jewels up inside inside of his abdomen, or anywhere else for that matter. :!: :shock:

If society has an issue with what Nature gave me.... society is just going to have to get over it. :bom:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:But bulge or not.... Moon Shadow will NOT be pushing his jewels up inside inside of his abdomen, or anywhere else for that matter. :!: :shock: If society has an issue with what Nature gave me.... society is just going to have to get over it. :bom:

You can say that again :think:

"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The only time I have been un-flat is with a tight stretch pencil skirt, which I haven't worn in public. Felt good to wear in cooler weather and a loose shirt over the top would work. Part of the joy of skirts is the space, freedom and being relatively unconstrained.
Camo would work well as it would be difficult to make out any shapes with the confusion of light and shade. Commandos wear camo so that should be proof.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Franinskirts wrote:
moonshadow wrote:But bulge or not.... Moon Shadow will NOT be pushing his jewels up inside inside of his abdomen, or anywhere else for that matter. :!: :shock: If society has an issue with what Nature gave me.... society is just going to have to get over it. :bom:

You can say that again :think:

I also agree. There is no way I would do such a thing like that. Hell, if you are so concerned with the flat look all the time, why not get SRS (GRS) and be done with the male bulge for good?

John
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Caultron wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:These (hidden) bifurcated shorts - did they have a skirted front and shorts back? That would be called a skort or a scooter.
No, they're actual shorts.

They were on the Woman's Skirts rack. I checked the size, length, and fabric before taking them off the rack, then I just folded them over my arm with the other items I was buying and headed for the checkout.

I guess it's kind of embarrassing, not noticing the difference between a skirt and shorts, but I suppose I'll eventually live it down.

Sounds like me in the thrift store, get in, get out asap. I go in, wait till there are no ladies in the skirt isle (s). Look for size, then style, type , color that I like. Grab it off the rack, and b line for the checkout. At the the checkout, most workers don't. Say anything other than the usual checkout exchange. One time, they assumed they were for a teen age daughter. And another time the checkout lady. Made me aware of the 30 day returns policy, with tag and reciept, on my skirts, wonder if she had a clue or if she says that to everyone.

Word of caution, and thrift stores, they do miss tag and miss locate things.
I have seen several miss sized skirts on the rack. I have bought one by mistake.
My best opps however, I bought a size 22 skirt, way too big :( color and length was perfect! In the store I'm sure both tags. Said it was an 18. I guess sometimes you see what you want to see, when you find a really cute skirt. Have to wear a belt to keep it up :( oh, the other.hazard of thrift stores, you find and will probably buy way way too many great skirts.

Mishawakaskirt. @2wayskirt on twitter
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Mishakawa,
Next time you go to your favorite thrift store, wear one of the skirts or dresses you bought there; you'll feel a whole lot more comfortable shopping for skirts and dresses. Then try them on before you buy. Last time I was at Goodwill one of the associates looked like $1 million or more and I told her so. She replied that she loved my outfit. I was on my way home from church.
Lose the paranoia and you'll have a whole lot more FUN!
Most of us go for skirts and dresses because they are so much more fun than a non-stop clothing diet of khakis and blue jeans.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Yes, try things on at the thrift store. Yesterday I was at our local thrift store. A woman I know well volunteers there on Wednesdays and her husband, whom I know even better, was also there. I found a pleasant short denim skirt that looked like it fit, labeled size 9. I don't think I have any size 9s, but have bigger and smaller numbered ones. So I tried it before I bought it. The checkout woman realized it was a skirt rather than shorts (sometimes they don't) and looked up the price of a skirt. No problems.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There's a particular charity shop that I go to probably once a week and have gone there several times skirted. I have talked to a couple of the assistants there about my skirt style preferences and they look out for suitable skirts for me now. They aren't bothered about the fact that I wear a skirt and are most friendly. And yes I have tried on skirts there where I was doubtful whether they would fit.

I was once in our local chemists and there were four women staff and three women customers and I said to the young girl behind the checkout, "There's seven women in here and one man and I'm the only one wearing a skirt." Confidence and experience are the two things you need and you'll only get theses ever time.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

while wearing a skirt I have had direct contact with women who were also wearing skirts only 2 times. Once while I was playing golf we had on identical skirts and once at a car dealer. no problems at all. funny both times my skirt was shorter than theirs
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hello Mishakawa,
Next time you go to your favorite thrift store, wear one of the skirts or dresses you bought there; you'll feel a whole lot more comfortable shopping for skirts and dresses. Then try them on before you buy. Last time I was at Goodwill one of the associates looked like $1 million or more and I told her so. She replied that she loved my outfit. I was on my way home from church.
Lose the paranoia and you'll have a whole lot more FUN!
Most of us go for skirts and dresses because they are so much more fun than a non-stop clothing diet of khakis and blue jeans.
Good advice. To this day I feel better skirt shopping when I'm wearing a skirt. Sometimes when I'm out on a lunch break I'll peel off in a local GoodWill... I'm wearing my trousers, and it just doesn't feel the same. Although I'm getting better.

The GoodWill's around here interestingly are staffed with pretty diverse people. The ladies at the Abingdon store seem very nice and progressive. Galax has been friendly as has Wytheville. I stopped at the Bedford store and she seemed like she wasn't for it, but she took my money anyway. Oh well... can't win 'em all.

These days, especially if I'm already wearing a skirt/dress and I walk into a store I will check the inventory, and do just like the women do... hold them up against me... smile, make remarks like "ohhh... this looks pretty..." etc.

Generally I always try on my garments before I leave the store unless I'm in a hurry.

Honestly, since I've gotten adjusted to thrift stores, I seldom visit other "new inventory" stores anymore. It's hard for me to justify paying anything more than $4 for a skirt, or $3 for a shirt anymore, and the selection is always great! And when you visit some of the Christian or mom and pop thrift stores... often times the garments can be a dollar or less each! Only downfall is they typically don't have the selection.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.