Seeking opinion on something....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Seeking opinion on something....

Post by Kilted_John »

moonshadow wrote:
Kilted_John wrote:Wanted to avoid having my sister's ex getting his panties in a bunch. Guy's a bit of a nutter.
I got a lump in my throat last night when dad called out of the blue, first words out of his mouth were (in a somewhat annoyed and arrogant tone) "I wanna ask you a question...."

I thought, "oh boy, he found the flickr site... here we go". (Note: I rather count on my father to be quite computer illiterate.)

Turns out it was a question about a fuel filter on his car. His annoyance was due to the fact that his car is giving him trouble.

And for those who don't know... my father's side of the family is the very definition of everything that is wrong with the U.S., on any topic.
lol, yeah, I think he discovered mine a few years back. His current wife went under an alias and befriended me on farcebook. Didn't realize it until much later when a local news story about her popped up with mention of that alias. Immediately afterward, got unfriended by her.

Anyway, the guy is very narcissistic. Tends to project his issues onto others as well. So, I tend to keep the local dress-wearing to either in-car only with a jacket used when I'm out of the car, or I wait until nighttime and do stuff then, since he will likely be at home or somewhere else. That said, after he jumped down our throats for my sartorial choices, I decided I didn't really care about what he thought and went from wearing shorts while doing the transfer to/from him of my niece to wearing Utilikilts, and finally to regular skirts. Next time, I might just wear a solid color dress with a jacket over it, if it's still chilly out, or a t-shirt if it's mild enough.

Good that it was just due to his car running strangely, though.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

K-J,

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

U-A,

Not a problem.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kilted_John wrote:lol, yeah, I think he discovered mine a few years back. His current wife went under an alias and befriended me on farcebook. Didn't realize it until much later when a local news story about her popped up with mention of that alias. Immediately afterward, got unfriended by her.

Anyway, the guy is very narcissistic. Tends to project his issues onto others as well. So, I tend to keep the local dress-wearing to either in-car only with a jacket used when I'm out of the car, or I wait until nighttime and do stuff then, since he will likely be at home or somewhere else. That said, after he jumped down our throats for my sartorial choices, I decided I didn't really care about what he thought and went from wearing shorts while doing the transfer to/from him of my niece to wearing Utilikilts, and finally to regular skirts. Next time, I might just wear a solid color dress with a jacket over it, if it's still chilly out, or a t-shirt if it's mild enough.

That family has given me nothing but trouble for my entire childhood. I have stories, lots of them, some not suitable for this site on that part of my family. Among a few of them are the constant insults from my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc who constantly called me the "son of a whore", "stuck up yankee", (my mother was from Long Island NY) etc. Suffice it to say, when dad dies, I'll probably never see the rest of them ever again. I could care less about them finding out about my skirts, they're really not any part of my life, but deep down, aside from my fathers bigotry, racism, etc, he's still my father. And I love him. And should he find out I wear skirts I'll NEVER convince him that I'm not homosexual, and as his only son, and child I don't want to devastate him in that way. There's about 200 miles between us now, he's in somewhat poor health, and thank God that car always gives him problems so he can't come down here and "sneak up on me". So I go up and visit him a few times a year for about an hour or so, sit in the sea of cigarette smoke, and listen to him complain about politicians. And so it goes....

I could fill a novel about my father. He's not bad at heart, he's just had a bad life, and as a result is misunderstood. He can't help it, hate and intolerance is all he's ever known. That's what that family did to HIM, I just thank the stars above that I had my mother's influence to guide me away from that.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

moonshadow wrote:
Kilted_John wrote:lol, yeah, I think he discovered mine a few years back. His current wife went under an alias and befriended me on farcebook. Didn't realize it until much later when a local news story about her popped up with mention of that alias. Immediately afterward, got unfriended by her.

That family has given me nothing but trouble for my entire childhood. I have stories, lots of them, some not suitable for this site on that part of my family. Among a few of them are the constant insults from my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc who constantly called me the "son of a whore", "stuck up yankee", (my mother was from Long Island NY) etc. Suffice it to say, when dad dies, I'll probably never see the rest of them ever again. I could care less about them finding out about my skirts, they're really not any part of my life, but deep down, aside from my fathers bigotry, racism, etc, he's still my father. And I love him. And should he find out I wear skirts I'll NEVER convince him that I'm not homosexual, and as his only son, and child I don't want to devastate him in that way. There's about 200 miles between us now, he's in somewhat poor health, and thank God that car always gives him problems so he can't come down here and "sneak up on me". So I go up and visit him a few times a year for about an hour or so, sit in the sea of cigarette smoke, and listen to him complain about politicians. And so it goes....

I could fill a novel about my father. He's not bad at heart, he's just had a bad life, and as a result is misunderstood. He can't help it, hate and intolerance is all he's ever known. That's what that family did to HIM, I just thank the stars above that I had my mother's influence to guide me away from that.
Makes you wonder how the phrase "Southern Hospitality" came about. Can't see much of that from what you write!!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Renesm1, I'm certain that,if you look, you will find troubled families in your part of the world as well. But I won't judge your home based on one example.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

dillon wrote:Renesm1, I'm certain that,if you look, you will find troubled families in your part of the world as well. But I won't judge your home based on one example.
Please do judge where I live - I'd be in agreement with you!

However, you may not be able to stop me moaning about England for several months (it's in our nature!) :)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:
Kilted_John wrote:Wanted to avoid having my sister's ex getting his panties in a bunch. Guy's a bit of a nutter.
I got a lump in my throat last night when dad called out of the blue, first words out of his mouth were (in a somewhat annoyed and arrogant tone) "I wanna ask you a question...."

I thought, "oh boy, he found the flickr site... here we go". (Note: I rather count on my father to be quite computer illiterate.)

Turns out it was a question about a fuel filter on his car. His annoyance was due to the fact that his car is giving him trouble.

And for those who don't know... my father's side of the family is the very definition of everything that is wrong with the U.S., on any topic.

That would of freaked me out a little too :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

renesm1 wrote:However, you may not be able to stop me moaning about England for several months (it's in our nature!) :)
So THAT'S where we 'merican's get it from! HA! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It reminds me of what was once said of our northern neighbors. "Poor Canada was perfectly poised to have something wonderful: British culture, French cuisine, and American technology. But instead they got British cuisine, French technology, and American culture..."
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:It reminds me of what was once said of our northern neighbors. [...]
That's more than a bit reminiscent of "Heaven and Hell in the EU":

Heaven: The cooks are French, the lovers are Italian, the police are British, and the Germans are driving".
Hell: "The cooks are Brits, the lovers are Germans, the cops are French, and the Italians are at the helm".

Having visited Canada, all I can say is that I really liked my time there. It just seemed ... so civilised ... compared the the USA. (Which I have heard the CBC comment on as being, "our low-wage neighbour to the south." Canadians have a wicked sense of humour.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can remember Homer Simpson describing Canada as "America Junior" lol. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sinned wrote:I can remember Homer Simpson describing Canada as "America Junior" lol. :D
Conversely an American friend frequently refers to Canada as "States 51 to 63"

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Milfmog wrote:Conversely an American friend frequently refers to Canada as "States 51 to 63"
Something tells me, many Canadians might take that as an insult! :D
-Andrea
bobmoore

Post by bobmoore »

moonshadow wrote:
Milfmog wrote:Conversely an American friend frequently refers to Canada as "States 51 to 63"
Something tells me, many Canadians might take that as an insult! :D
Well, the truth is often unpleasant.:-P

Some might take umbrage, but as one who has dual citizenship I certainly don't.
"You can lead a liberal to truth, but you can't make it think."