leggings and yoga pants

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

leggings and yoga pants

Post by Bamaskirting »

i know skirts has got to be the most comfortable clothing. and many people on here wear leggings or tights under them. but has anyone ever tried yoga pants or the leggings used as outerwear? i have found that they are very comfortable. and basically all through the 80s, alot of men were wearing them. mainly rock stars, but they were in the mainstream doing it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: leggings and yoga pants

Post by dillon »

I have around five pairs of stretch yoga-type pants i sometimes wear out in public. My favorites are called "work-it pants" by a San Francisco start-up clothing company called Betabrand. Another pair is by Merrell. Can't recall the other makes. I wear leggings by themselves at home or on the trail, but wear them under skirts elsewhere.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I wear both Leggings and Yoga Pants. My Yoga pants are just plane Black or Navy. My Leggings are in several colors and several printed patterns, you do get some looks when wearing colorful leggings.

:ugeek:
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

phathack wrote:I wear both Leggings and Yoga Pants. My Yoga pants are just plane Black or Navy. My Leggings are in several colors and several printed patterns, you do get some looks when wearing colorful leggings.

I would imagine. I noticed alot of ladies wearing them. I figured I'd give them a try. I was floored by how comfortable they were. It just ain't fair. They wear whatever. We're supposed to wear jeans. But we practically invented the style for almost everything they wear. Anyways, wearing out the yogas is what gave me the courage to go out in a skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:...wearing out the yogas is what gave me the courage to go out in a skirt.
I haven't tried yoga pants, but I regularly wear opaque tights or leggings, with almost no public reaction. Once they get past the skirt and heels, the tights are no issue at all.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
ShayneM.88

Post by ShayneM.88 »

www.meggingsman.com

I have 2 pair and love them!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

They would be nice but I won't be buying any as they
are not made large enough. An XXL is a 38" waist.
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Who are they trying to kid. I had a 38" waist, once
but that was 40-45 years ago. At least my age, as of
next week, is a much larger number than my waist
size :oops: :cyclops: :lol: :lol: :hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

"But we practically invented the style for almost everything they wear."

In fact, EVERYTHING women wear today, except bras, started out as menswear. Nobles kept coming up with new and different things to wear to distinguish themselves from their ladies, to meet military necessities and to reassert their superior status. By the 1800's the women had mimicked so many items of male fashion that most, if not all states in the US made it ILLEGAL for ladies to wear pants in public. After all, if women started wearing those, what sartorial male prerogatives would be left? It took America's only female recipient of the Medal of Honor getting arrested in all of those states for wearing her Brooks Brothers suit on the speaker's stage to get the laws changed. (You won't find her name on the current official roll because during the 20th century, the military changed the standards for having that award recognized and Dr. Mary W. was never in the military, she was a civilian Civil War doctor.)
Taking an historical perspective, by reclaiming skirts and dresses as proper male attire, we are confirming the current equality of the sexes.
And here you thought you were just trying to follow your heart and be comfortable in your clothes.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Uncle Al wrote:They would be nice but I won't be buying any as they
Well...I wear a 51" belt, and a 24 pencil and panel skirt, just got a 23-24 tulle skirt (elastic waistband). I've been wearing No Nonsense support hose (Dr. recommended) and opaque tights in size E (and getting multiple wearings out of each), now down to a size D. At Lane Bryant, where I usually get my skirts, I have several pair of their C/D size fleece-lined leggings and tights for the brrrrrrrrrrrrr months. :D

Sometiimes you just have to venture the expense and see if a particular maker's size fits you or not.

Not sure about yoga pants...may have to look at Lane Bryant's catalog....but not interested in them. I may find something like a pant-suit that can also be a skirt-suit with a Scotish-style ghillie (?) shirt. I also wear kilts a lot. :mrgreen:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Darryl wrote:
Uncle Al wrote:They would be nice but I won't be buying any as they
Well...I wear a 51" belt, and a 24 pencil and panel skirt, just got a 23-24 tulle skirt (elastic waistband). I've been wearing No Nonsense support hose (Dr. recommended) and opaque tights in size E (and getting multiple wearings out of each), now down to a size D. At Lane Bryant, where I usually get my skirts, I have several pair of their C/D size fleece-lined leggings and tights for the brrrrrrrrrrrrr months. :D
Sometiimes you just have to venture the expense and see if a particular maker's size fits you or not.
Not sure about yoga pants...may have to look at Lane Bryant's catalog....but not interested in them. I may find something like a pant-suit that can also be a skirt-suit with a Scotish-style ghillie (?) shirt. I also wear kilts a lot. :mrgreen:
Scotish-style ghillie (?) shirt
Look on ebay for poet peasant shirt (blouse) also pirate shirt - kilt shirt.
Find something close put it on WATCH LIST and then go to the right edge and click on "MORE ACTIONS"
drop down menu and click on VIEW SIMILAR ITEMS - should give you plenty of options.

As for Yoga pants these are not the tight fitting leggings (jeggings -jean printed leggings).
Think of yoga pants as exercise pants with lots of loose stretchiness.
Leggings are not usually worn for exercise but more so for complimentary fashion accessory wear.

For larger sizes Lane Bryant is one source as noted other related stores are Catherine's and Woman Within
and Ebay of course.
Shop early when the seasonal winter clothing is introduced for getting the size you need.
Right now the winter season merchandise is coming to a close look for clearance sales.
Christmas stuff is put on sale before Halloween - expect the summer beach wear to be out before
the next snow storm - What you say ? Well it is a fact of merchandising 101.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Check not just the waist circumference of yoga pants but the waist to crotch ratio. A lot of yoga pants tend to be low-rise which can mean a lot of pulling up the waist for a wedge-shaped gent.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Darryl wrote:Well...I wear a 51" belt, and a 24 pencil and panel skirt, just got a 23-24 tulle skirt (elastic waistband). I've been wearing No Nonsense support hose (Dr. recommended) and opaque tights in size E (and getting multiple wearings out of each), now down to a size D. At Lane Bryant, where I usually get my skirts, I have several pair of their C/D size fleece-lined leggings and tights for the brrrrrrrrrrrrr months. :D

I have ordered leggings and yoga pants on Amazon from Vivian's Fashions "Vivian's Fashions Women's Extra Plus Size Cotton Long Leggings" The 4x fits me well. In Jeans I wear a size 24/25 with 35/37" Inseam, in mens size thats about 50x36 give or take a little.

Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I'm rather skinny so it is usually easy for me to find a good fit. I like Victoria's Secret. all there clothing like leggings and skirts fit me well in a medium.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

since this is not a skirt, i will stick this here. it is getting easier to wear out in public. i needed a two liter coke and decided to wear a pair of yoga pants to Walmart. It is late night, but it is still Walmart.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You have heard of the Walmartians, right?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.