On crossdressing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: On crossdressing

Post by Caultron »

Ralph wrote:...Still not ready to fly my freak flag in public, though. Society may be getting more accepting of men in tasteful, age-appropriate contemporary women's fashion... but Sailor Bubba, not so much.
That's your decision, obviously, but IMHO you're missing 99% of the fun.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not to mention that now that the weather is getting warmer, at least where I yam, wearing a skirt outdoors is much cooler, in more than one meaning of the word. I go for my weekend newspapers skirted, MOH being asleep so she doesn't know, and have done for the past 6 months or so. For some psychological reason the local newsagent was one place I dreaded visiting wearing a skirt but now I wonder why I was so fearful. I really enjoy going out and about in a skirt and enjoy the relative anonymity doing so. Roll on the summer.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I'll wear a skirt anywhere these days. I just don't care what others think. And oh what fun it is. Let go of you inhibitions,

-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

"A girl wears boy clothes an nobody bats an eye"

You know, I've been told by other observers that when women (or older girls for that matter) don a highly masculine attire, such as baggy clothing, short hair cuts, no makeup, etc, that they do indeed attract some attention. I'd venture a good guess that the attention they attract is somewhat like what we experience.

Mostly no reaction, and maybe a few snares and ugly looks. As it turns out, most men want their women to look like women, just as most women want their men to look like men, and both women and men who break that sacred rule seem to find themselves on the fringes of society in general.

Like men, most women are only interested in one thing: attracting a mate, and they will wear those skin tight jeans, or whatever they feel will get the job done to get Johnny to come home with them.

Masculine women sometimes even have derogatory words thrown at them too, just as some call us "sissys", they are called "butch". Though few are called "crossdressers", despite the fact that that's what they are doing, society often calls them something probably worse, "b!tch".

Even in hunting garb, while hunting was traditionally a "male" activity, women have taken it up, however you'll see blaze pink on the shelves along side of the orange. Generally society doesn't mind if women hunt, but then again, I know a lot of very CIS men who enjoy tending flowers....

And regarding people "loosing their mind" over men wearing skirts and dresses.... personally I've never witnessed anyone loose it over anything I've worn. I'd say if they did "loose their mind" over this, it probably wasn't much of a loss! :wink: :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I mean, do you realize how rare it is to see a woman in baggy trousers? It's not as rare as as a man in a skirt for sure, but still, it's far from commonplace.

Virtually all women I observe out and about are wearing skin tight trousers, leggings, capris, and of course, the occasional skirt or dress....

I have to admit, when I see a woman wearing something more frequently seen on men, such as baggy trousers or short pants down to the knees, I do catch myself in a double take!

Prior to my exploration into gender freedom, male skirt wearing, so on and so forth, when I saw a woman wearing man clothes, I admit, I always assumed she was a lesbian!

It's amazing how we grow and our perceptions evolve over time! I no longer make that mistake.

So with all that said, perhaps we should have patience with those out in the world who don't understand our ways. Lets remain approachable and always willing to entertain reasonable questions.

I wonder if there's a women's version of skirt cafe somewhere (I'm sure it goes by a different name), where women wear "men's" clothing...? including KILTS! :P

It might be called the "Flannel Panel", or maybe the "Saggy Bag", or perhaps just "Trouser Cafe".

There's a universe for that! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Virtually all women I observe out and about are wearing skin tight trousers, leggings, capris, and of course, the occasional skirt or dress....
The vast majority of women out there, just like the vast majority of men, are lemmings who blindly follow the lead of the herd. There can be no other explanation for some of the "styles" that are commonplace today -- "skin-tight trousers, leggings, crapis [sic], &c" -- because they simply aren't attractive to many, if not most. It's almost as though the women want to de-select most men (their version of the "bozo filter" as it were); it works for me, that's for sure.
There's a universe for almost anything.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The vast majority of women out there, just like the vast majority of men, are lemmings who blindly follow the lead of the herd. There can be no other explanation for some of the "styles" that are commonplace today -- "skin-tight trousers, leggings, crapis [sic], &c" -- because they simply aren't attractive to many, if not most. It's almost as though the women want to de-select most men (their version of the "bozo filter" as it were); it works for me, that's for sure.
Indeed, also the articles on the net starting with: this is what you need to wear this season, you can't go out onto the street without, etc.
Last edited by crfriend on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:The vast majority of women out there, just like the vast majority of men, are lemmings who blindly follow the lead of the herd. There can be no other explanation for some of the "styles" that are commonplace today -- "skin-tight trousers, leggings, crapis [sic], &c" -- because they simply aren't attractive to many, if not most. It's almost as though the women want to de-select most men (their version of the "bozo filter" as it were); it works for me, that's for sure.
Certainly there are trends in style, and people who dress a certain way because, "Everyone else is doing it." Humans are social animals.

But when you shop online, you still find just about every style ever known to mankind. So somebody must be buying them.

As to skin-tight trousers, leggings, capris, and so forth, yes, those who aren't thin and shapely should avoid them. But on those who are, I, for one, don't find them offensive.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto10 wrote:
Indeed, also the articles on the net starting with: this is what you need to wear this season, you can't go out onto the street without, etc.
This all puts me in mind of this pin I found yesterday:

I also find it interesting and fancy the fact that I discovered the joy and freedom of unbifurcated garments while I was basically "unplugged" from society, living in Damascus with no cable, no satellite TV, no over the air reception, no internet, while watching male thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail who also wore skirts on their hike.

It's amazing what the mind can come up with with you turn off the electronic flickering boxes (computers too), take a good hard look around, and see what the world really is!

Sure I knew crossdressers existed, but I never really was much interested in impersonating a woman despite a long time curiosity of wearing skirts and dresses and expressing the more oppressed "feminine" side of me. Observing those hikers with their "women's" skirts (not all were in kilts after all), dreadlocks, beards, and other hippie like garb taught me that yes, I can be who I want to be, and express myself accordingly. Later I found this website, and a slew of other online and offline resources that further inspired me to unleash Moon Shadow....

To me, that's what makes this different than your typical run of the mill "crossdressing". This isn't an identity crisis, this isn't a fetish, this isn't a hobby, this is me. The fact that the clothes I wear are marketed for women is simply by coincidence, these are the styles that express my inner self, my soul. I'm happy I can maintain my male identity and wear these things, and that I don't have to call myself a woman, or pretend to be one. That's what makes this site special to me.
Caultron wrote:As to skin-tight trousers, leggings, capris, and so forth, yes, those who aren't thin and shapely should avoid them. But on those who are, I, for one, don't find them offensive.
It's not that I find them offensive... I just find them boring *yawn*.... I'd like to see more people being truly unique, not just following the herd.
-Andrea
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: a long time curiosity of wearing skirts and dresses.
That makes two of us. I wonder how many members had this sort of curiosity when they were boys? :?:
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I know I did. Throughout my marriage it bobbed to the surface occasionally as I would try on MOH's dresses and skirts when she was out. She is a similar size to me. Some fitted badly, some well, some suited me, IMHO, and some obviously didn't. I think that the sense of style for me was formed during this period and dictates the type of skirts that I wear now.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As a teen ager, I parked myself in unfrequented spaces in libraries to read about skirts. I felt almost like a freak for just doing that. (And I definitely felt like a freak when I tried on a few of my mothers outfits).
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Grok wrote:As a teen ager, I parked myself in unfrequented spaces in libraries to read about skirts. I felt almost like a freak for just doing that. (And I definitely felt like a freak when I tried on a few of my mothers outfits).
I obsessed over the show "Little House on the Prairie" because I loved those prairie dresses - modest up to the neck and down to the wrists, and wonderful billowy skirts down to the ankles. Once in a while I'll find a vintage/costume vendor who makes that style in my humongous size, but I just can't bring myself to drop over $100 (or $200, or more!) on something that I'll just wear a few times in my home office to scratch a 40-year-old itch.

PS - in searching for a good reference photo of what I want, I also found this:
Ralph!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Ralph, just get yourself a pattern, cloth, thread, and borrow a sewing machine if you don't have one. I have made a few dresses and I can vouch it's not difficult.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Virtually all women I observe out and about are wearing skin tight trousers, leggings, capris, and of course, the occasional skirt or dress....
There's a universe for almost anything.
Ever hear about the saying, "Eat sh!t - one trillion flies can't be wrong".