Purple

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Purple

Post by denimini »

My partner's favourite colour was purple and at her funeral everyone, male and female, wore purple as a sign of respect. It was very touching when I realised that many families travelled 200 kms to the next town to buy purple clothes. I made her casket in the shape of a boat and painted it glossy purple. Purple means a lot to me and although I don't wear much purple, I have claimed it as one of my colours and buy purple sheets, table cloths etc.
I particularly like the combination of purple and teal.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:Ya want purple? Here's purple:
crf-purple-red-cropped.jpg
I think it "pops" nicely. 'Tis a pity the camera didn't really do the ascot justice.
That's a great look, Carl, very together and entirely unforced. A little more front lighting would probably have pulled the ascot out of the background. The only thing that caused me a second look was the two watches. Yes, I know you generally wear two watches, one set to UTC, it still jarred slightly. Perhaps a wristwatch and a pocket watch would look less odd to my eyes (and a pocket watch would go so nicely with that look too).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:That's a great look, Carl, very together and entirely unforced. A little more front lighting would probably have pulled the ascot out of the background.
Thanks, Ian. The hilarious bit about the shot is how thematically close it is to Moonshadow's avatar, and just happened to be what I threw on that morning (including the pocket-square). I wasn't trying for any sort of formal look, else I most probably would have had a pocket-watch as part of the ensemble, and likely a skirt instead of the palazzo pants. It's the rig I wore when I went out that afternoon. (On MS' avatar, I really like the white ruffle around the waistcoat(?) neckline. I may have to look for a way to cultivate that.)

I used a fill-flash, but managed to misjudge the amount of light coming in through my kitchen doors which is why the right side of the picture is so bright and the shadows so strong. I may re-shoot the thing at some point just because the combination is so compelling (at least to me), and this is at least the second time that an anime portrayal shows a style that I use in real life (the drivers are different, however). Maybe next time I'll take the shot with me holding my crossbow just for effect. :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:My partner's favourite colour was purple and at her funeral everyone, male and female, wore purple as a sign of respect.
That must've been touching. I'm sorry that it was so final.

Purple is a wonderful colour, and woefully underutilised in modern style.
I particularly like the combination of purple and teal.
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful pairing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Purple is a great colour! I didn't know anyone thought of it as feminine, unless you are talking about mauve. A good strong purple isn't remotely feminine. or

My quest to find a purple skirt that I really like continues. I have bought a few, and got rid of some of them. Trouble is that because it is a strong colour, designers seem to avoid using it much, and when they do, they don't use it for workaday designs like a knee-length skirt in a heavy fabric like cord or cotton twill.

Deep purple shades like aubergine seem easier to find. I have posted a pic of a deep purple suede skirt in my pics thread, and I have some others that just aren't quite right so they should be back on Ebay if I ever get round to it. Burgundy and various shades of plum abound. But an in-your-face purple purple is not such a common shade.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Charlie wrote:
dillon wrote:... his antennae was a triangle – a symbol of gay pride.
I didn't know that ... so these people who shove a wire coathanger into the stump of a broken-off car aerial (to give an inverted triangle of wire) are unwittingly signalling they are gay? :roll:

Charlie

(Sorry to be picky, antennae is plural of antenna in the insect world, and antennas is the plural in the radio world.)
Coathanger antenna? Are there hillbillies in Somerset?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

r.m.anderson wrote: Bold Purple is a male liturgical color often used around Easter time.
Most liturgical Christian traditions in the West (e.g., Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran) use purple for the penitential seasons of Advent [before Christmas] and Lent [before Easter]. Some congregations use blue instead of purple for Advent.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:I used a fill-flash, but managed to misjudge the amount of light coming in through my kitchen doors which is why the right side of the picture is so bright and the shadows so strong. I may re-shoot the thing at some point just because the combination is so compelling (at least to me), and this is at least the second time that an anime portrayal shows a style that I use in real life (the drivers are different, however). Maybe next time I'll take the shot with me holding my crossbow just for effect. :twisted:
You would get along very well with my daughter.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Reaper_Man wrote:here's purple too (and a touch of blue)
purple.jpg
I really like this dress. May I ask where it was acquired?
The necklace is nice too.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Purple seems to be more common in goth and hip-hop fashions.

I've thought about it, either in a skirt or shirt, but only in the darker shades.

Tends to look pretty vivid, even in dark shades. Probably goes best with black or gray.

I've seen it as a component of plaids, but I don't know if it appears in any recognized tartans.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Well, I'm in purple again today. Navy suit with windowpane purple pinstripe (both horizontal and vertical hence the look of a windowpane), lilac shirt and purple tie. It's a handmade suit - the only way I could get purple. No skirt sadly, but I am visibly wearing black opaque tights with a bit of shine to them (shine glides well under trousers).

Ah, one day I'll get a skirt suit (already have a kilt suit)......
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Ray wrote:Well, I'm in purple again today. Navy suit with windowpane purple pinstripe (both horizontal and vertical hence the look of a windowpane), lilac shirt and purple tie. It's a handmade suit - the only way I could get purple. No skirt sadly, but I am visibly wearing black opaque tights with a bit of shine to them (shine glides well under trousers).

Ah, one day I'll get a skirt suit (already have a kilt suit)......
A skirt suit would be great, wouldn't it! I'd love to have one myself!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Guys have a look at Alexandra Workwear <news@e.alexandra.co.uk> they do suit jackets for men and skirts in the same material. You could get what you want at sensible money
Regards Martin

Maverick
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

moonshadow wrote:
Reaper_Man wrote:here's purple too (and a touch of blue)
purple.jpg
I really like this dress. May I ask where it was acquired?
The necklace is nice too.
i purchased it last year (halloween) at Bizarre Bazaar the alternative market held during the bi-annuual Whitby Goth weekend in the UK, the particular stall was operated by Morgana Clothing of Wakefield (they have a shop there) however the dress itself is manufactured by Dark star a subsiduary of Jordash clothing which is based in the Uk but i believe they distribute world wide. the dress is available in several colours and despite it's bulky look it is extremely light, very comfortable to wear and easy to get into/out of ... not an everyday type of dress but it's great for special events and nights out when you want to dress to impress lol :D and the price was pretty good too (i payed 70 GBP)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

JohnH wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote: Bold Purple is a male liturgical color often used around Easter time.
Most liturgical Christian traditions in the West (e.g., Roman Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran) use purple for the penitential seasons of Advent [before Christmas] and Lent [before Easter]. Some congregations use blue instead of purple for Advent.

John
I see a schism approaching!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair